To want another baby even if it means another c-section?

(28 Posts)
missmillimentscardigan Sun 29-May-16 22:59:14

I have two DC. DC1 was born by EMCS and DC2 by ELCS. I wanted to try for a VBAC but it turned out that the type of incision (vertical) made on my uterus meant that there was too great a risk of rupture if I went into labour. I had a haemorrhage after DC2 and needed a transfusion which was scary at the time, but obviously worth it for DC2!
I always wanted 3 DC and I still do, but it will mean another C-section and I'm nervous of the risks and maybe haemorrhaging again. I did have a birth debrief and was told that I could have another C-section, but... I don't know.
Anyone had 3 sections? Should I just stop at two and avoid the risk?

MintyBojingles Sun 29-May-16 23:05:18

Have you had any medical advice on it? I think it would be important to know the risks.

Kpo58 Sun 29-May-16 23:05:18

What is it that makes you want another child?

Would you consider adopting another child rather than having the potential health issues of a 3rd pregnancy?

imip Sun 29-May-16 23:08:17

I've had 4 sections. As you've been told at the birth debrief, you're ok for another section. Each women should be told whether or not they can have another section based on the condition of their uterus during surgery. If they had said no, then there is no way I would, but I guess you are able to have another surgery so it should be ok.

missmillimentscardigan Sun 29-May-16 23:13:47

Yes, I was told in the debrief that I could have another baby, but it would need to be a section. I would definitely only want one more and would probably ask to be sterilised after potential dc3.
I don't completely know why I want three children. I just do. I wouldn't be devastated if I couldn't have another, but if there were no risks I definitely would.

missmillimentscardigan Sun 29-May-16 23:15:39

It does make me feel very nervous though. I don't want to be reckless, but equally I wouldn't want to miss the boat on a dc3 if I didn't need to.

ReginaBlitz Sun 29-May-16 23:23:57

I've had seven I wouldn't worry.

missmillimentscardigan Sun 29-May-16 23:27:36

Wow - seven?!

littlepeas Sun 29-May-16 23:27:37

I have had 3 sections - the third was the most straightforward! I had a crash section with dc1 and a complicated elective with dc2 (huge blood loss and transfusion, similar to you), but the third was really quite lovely and uncomplicated. I nearly had a 4th, but miscarried and we decided not to try again. Good luck with making your decision.

missmillimentscardigan Sun 29-May-16 23:29:53

Thank you peas - that's reassuring to hear.
Sorry for your miscarriage flowers

missmillimentscardigan Sun 29-May-16 23:31:12

Also peas if you don't mind my asking, were you nervous when pg with dc3? How did you approach the birth? Thanks

CinderellaFant Sun 29-May-16 23:57:11

I'm currently pg with DC3, this will be my third section. Like you I was told after my last that I would be fine to have another but it would have to be a section. Feeling really worried about it!

littlepeas Mon 30-May-16 00:04:42

No, generally speaking I wasn't nervous - it felt very right to be having him tbh. I did consider a vba2c, but in the end it wasn't possible as he was breech. I think you just have to focus on what you get at the end of it all, rather than the process - yes, I was nervous at scans to find out where the placenta was (and it was actually in the best position of all 3 pregnancies - posterior high, rather than anterior low and anterior high with the others) and I did worry about going into labour before my section date (I had a lot of very strong braxton hicks and worried quite a bit towards the end). But ultimately pregnancy is always worrying and you can overthink things.

His birth was lovely - everything went swimmingly, he was fine, I was fine. The big problem with making this decision is that each pregnancy is different and my experience won't necessarily be yours - only you can decide whether or not it is the right decision for you.

Misselthwaite Mon 30-May-16 00:21:28

I've had three sections. Third took longest to recover from as my scar got infected but it wasnt that bad. I was told that my uterus wall was very thin and not to have anymore. There are increased risks of issues with the position of the placenta with multiple sections. At my 20 week scan they thought I had placenta praevia but scan at 30 weeks ruled it out. Placenta accreta is also more of a risk. In my first two pregnancies I was pretty much only really concerned about having a healthy baby. The third pregnancy made me realise how important my health was to my existing children. I think that's something we can forget or take for granted.

missmillimentscardigan Mon 30-May-16 07:28:53

Congratulations, cinderella - hope all goes well for you.

Thanks peas and misselthwaite - I am much more aware of my own health now I have two dc already. Every pregnancy is different of course. I think when I had a haemorrhage after dc2 it made me think about the risks of pregnancy and birth for probably the first time. Hmm... tough decision.

BikeRunSki Mon 30-May-16 07:37:11

There's another thread running about a woman who had 7 cs in 8 years.

missmillimentscardigan Mon 30-May-16 08:02:56

I read the article linked to
It that thread. It's awful, and it freaked me out a bit ( although I'm thinking of 3 sections in maybe 5 years, not 7 in 8). Poor woman, but she's lucky to be alive. She must have been advised to stop getting pregnant after the 3rd or 4th csec.

noeuf Mon 30-May-16 08:09:58

I've had four. I did check beforehand and I remember the surgeon saying stitching was harder last time. I'd not risk it again because of that.
But I didn't worry because I was really aware and would have got checked at every/any concern

Paulat2112 Mon 30-May-16 08:15:11

I've had three sections too, it was all ok. If they have said you are good for another one then I wouldn't worry, I know that is easier said than done. After my third my surgeon said my insides looked good and I could come back again! Lol, three is plenty for.us and DH had the snip about 18 months ago.

Ditsy4 Mon 30-May-16 08:22:18

I've had a vertical EMCS and had to fight for a trial VBAC then produced a 9.4 lb, followed by a 6.5 lb and later on a 8.1 lb baby. I had a haemorrhage after baby 3. The original advice given was 3/4 CS no more. It is a dilemma talk to your GP and you may be able to be referred for a chat. I chose/ insisted on a different consultant after my badly done CS. When I moved countries the consultant thought it was a "bloody mess" and would have had me back in when I told him what happened! Good luck.

missmillimentscardigan Mon 30-May-16 09:51:31

ditsy that's great that you were able to have a vbac after a vertical emcs. Mine is apparently an upside down T shape in my uterus. I don't have any complaints though - it saved my dc1's life. I was told it was too risk to attempt a vbac in the next pregnancy, although I was really hoping to be able to. So you had 3 vbacs after a vertical emcs? Was that outside of the UK? Thanks

AnotherUsernameBitesTheDust Mon 30-May-16 09:58:39

I've had 4 sections. I was told after no.3 that I'd be fine to have more, so I had my youngest. I don't remember them telling me not to have any more after that but I personally wouldn't want to risk it by having a 5th. Besides, 5 kids is plenty enough (I have twins)

My 4th was actually my best, in terms of care and recovery and they put DS straight on me for skin to skin.

Toomanymarsbars Mon 30-May-16 11:32:04

I've had three sections. 1st was horrific emergency, two and three elective and so, so much more relaxed. My dad died when I was a teenager and he was an only child, it destroyed my nan. It was left to me to deal with her (care home, severe Alzheimer's), my brother couldn't cope and I knew from then I would, if I was ever lucky enough, have three children. For "insurance" sake, as weird as that sounds. I lost my first baby at 6 months pregnant, so was on utter stress and tender hooks for the next three pregnancies but have safely had third & that's it's, can't do it any more!! It was more difficult this time as scar hurt more, and recovery time harder as three under three and husband works away from home often so just me and the kids. Totally worth it though. If the doctors advise it's ok then I'm sure all will be fine smile

BadgersNadgers Mon 30-May-16 12:59:05

I had an ELCS then a crash section (badly failed VBAC). I haemorrhaged during CS1 (which is why I wanted a vacancy second time round) but lost very little blood in my second. Chances are you'll be fine and with a planned section won't go 11 days over, labour for 54 hours then end up with a sunroof job anyway!

missmillimentscardigan Mon 30-May-16 18:44:30

Thanks for the stories. Great to hear about 3 or 4 caesareans and all being fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now