AIBU to ask for your inspiration on my blog name?

(25 Posts)
RangeTesKopeks Sun 29-May-16 12:41:34

Hi everyone! smile

Bit of a random question but AIBU to ask you all to help me think of a great name for my blog??

I've written a few draft posts for it already but haven't settled on a name yet.

Everything that I've thought of doesn't seem to sound quite right confused

The blog's going to be about things to do with France and French-speaking countries (Belgium, Switzerland etc.) like films, literature, current affairs and food.

One of the things that I thought of as a possible blog title was 'French Affection'. I liked the play on words with 'French Connection' (ie. well-known brand, 'connection' is another way of saying 'link to France') and it seemed like a light-hearted way of putting across my interest in France. However, I've thought about 'French Affection' again and it now sounds to me a bit like a Mills and Boon novel/a trashy romance starring a dashing French officer grin is this a very unreasonable or reasonable view to take?

AIBU to ask for some advice and assistance on blog names please from you lovely lot! French and English names both very welcome!!

RangeTesKopeks Sun 29-May-16 13:02:08

Bump smile

acasualobserver Sun 29-May-16 13:06:30

La Plume de ma Tante?

YoureSoSlyButSoAmI Sun 29-May-16 13:13:39

Gallic Hug.

RangeTesKopeks Sun 29-May-16 13:32:54

Thank you so much for all of your help so far everyone!!! All of these names look great! smile If you've got any more ideas, keep them coming! Any more for any more? smile

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Sun 29-May-16 13:42:25

French Affliction

IAmNotAMindReader Sun 29-May-16 13:45:21

Gallic shrug

RangeTesKopeks Sun 29-May-16 13:49:21

Ooh that's a great suggestion Theydontknow ! Thanks!! smile

What does everyone think about 'French Addiction' or 'French Affection'?

I love 'French affliction' - especially as and I'm not living in France at the moment, so I could play on the idea that I'm 'afflicted' or 'suffering' because I'm not in France and I'm having to admire Paris/croissants/the bakeries/the culture from afar grin

iklboo Sun 29-May-16 13:49:59

Franc-says

FlowerOfTheWest Sun 29-May-16 13:59:20

I like both French Affection and French Affliction <helpful>. You could call it Little French Affliction (like Little French Kitchen).
Another random suggestion - Francofile (because you're 'filing' articles about France/French things). But maybe you are best to go for a simple name that doesn't require an explanation!
It sounds like a great blog, I'd love to read it. smile

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 29-May-16 14:08:53

Gallic Bread?
French Detection?
French Addiction?
French Letters? grin

newtscamander Sun 29-May-16 14:10:40

French fancy

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Sun 29-May-16 17:11:51

"I'm 'afflicted' or 'suffering' because I'm not in France and I'm having to admire Paris/croissants/the bakeries/the culture from afar grin"

Exactement! In my case it's a good job it's from afar. When I studied there I put on so much weight my Dad didn't recognise me when he came to pick me up from the airport grin

RangeTesKopeks Tue 31-May-16 14:14:39

Bonjour tout le monde!! :-)

Thank you so so much for all of your suggestions about my blog name, it was so kind and helpful of you all.

I've chosen to call it French Affliction, and have written a couple of posts so far.

Sorry to keep on asking you all for feedback and advice, but would you mind at all being my very exclusive group of first readers/my focus group? smile

As you've been so kind and encouraging, it would be great to hear your thoughts on the blog so far smile if any of you have got blogs or know of friends with blogs, I'd of course love to return the favour and read them!

Here's a link to the blog smile - frenchaffliction.com .

Would be amazing if you could let me know what you think please smile xxx

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 31-May-16 14:31:35

I like your style of writing. I'm not a big blog fan and dip in and out when googling takes me to something I want to find.

RangeTesKopeks Tue 31-May-16 14:50:38

Aw thank you so much Felicia! You've really made my day smile

RangeTesKopeks Tue 31-May-16 15:32:20

Anyone else with any suggestions/comments? smile

RangeTesKopeks Tue 31-May-16 17:57:01

Thank you so much everyone for all of your help so far smile I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions or ideas on how I could get more traffic to my blog please?

Meluzyna Tue 31-May-16 20:20:16

Hello RTK,
since you did ask for feedback I have read your initial posts and have 3 remarks.
Firstly when talking about La Greco there is a mistake in the English "although her voice has of course changed since when she started"
and secondly a mistake in the French: unless you are expecting an exclusively female readership that should be "mes chéris" not mes chéries.
In the review of Disparue there is a somewhat clunky repetiton of the word "here": "Here , the mood is still one of excitement – crowds of carefree teenagers are dancing and singing along to a band playing on an outdoor stage. But it is here where everything starts to go wrong." IMO it's the first one that needs to go.
Did I mention that I proof-read language theses professionally?
Good luck with your project,

Mel

acasualobserver Tue 31-May-16 21:13:56

Bit of coal up there, Mel, and you could make a diamond.

piknmixer Tue 31-May-16 21:32:49

Really like your writing but I struggled to find your actual blog posts - don't hide them away in that menu!

Get them front and centre so people can see them straight away, add category tags etc.

Good luck with it all.

SaucyJack Tue 31-May-16 21:40:56

Too Gaul for school.

RangeTesKopeks Tue 31-May-16 23:01:07

Mel thank you so so much!! You're fab smile god I feel so stupid for not noticing some of these mistakes - you're a star as well for noticing them in English and French. God I'm so embarrassed that I didn't notice them - especially not changing it to 'chéris'! blush

Thanks so much everyone. You're all fantastic!! star

RangeTesKopeks Tue 31-May-16 23:04:37

Aww piknmixer that's so sweet of you, thank you!!!

Incidentally, pik - or anyone else - do you have an idea of how I can make my blog posts more visible please? I've put tags in, but still can't work out how to make them easier to see on the front page. I'm still trying to get my head around the layout of the blog and how to make my posts easier to find blush

PinkFluffiUnicorn Tue 31-May-16 23:51:31

A little bit of what you French fancy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now