To think that MN needs its own MIL bashing section?

(10 Posts)
NavyAndWhite Sun 29-May-16 10:32:42

It's beyond a joke now the amount of threads started slagging MILs off.

NotYoda Sun 29-May-16 10:37:54

I think it's common on here because because it's so hard to address difficult relationships with MILs in RL

It's such a complex problem, involving intergenerational and parenting differences, as well as the conflicted relationships between parents and their own children. Also, envy, competition and control

Hassled Sun 29-May-16 10:38:56

I agree. I realise there are some genuinely awful MILs out there and that I'm lucky to have had 2 nice normal ones but people seem to forget that one day it'll be them who is missing their DS and wanting to spend time with their DGCs, and maybe not always being particularly reasonable about it.

We could call the topic "Die, MILs, Die"

leelu66 Sun 29-May-16 10:42:36

In most of the posts I've read, the DILs want a good relationship with their MILs for the sake of their children so put up with a lot of crap from their MIL.

I'm sure alot of DILs and SILs (son in laws) could do with a bashing, I wonder if those MILs are more likely to go to Gransnet?

NavyAndWhite Sun 29-May-16 10:43:11

Laughing at Die MILs Die!

I know it's a complex issue and there will be crackpot, nasty ones out there but most of the stuff I read on MN are about the Mil coming round unannounced, buying plastic shite or not babysitting enough or too much.

FadedRed Sun 29-May-16 10:49:32

Agree with you Navy, and while we're assigning new topics, can we have an 'Anything Facebook related' topic too? Then I can hide both of them grin
Trouble is, most of the posts would still be put on AIBU anyway.......

JassyRadlett Sun 29-May-16 10:54:54

I agree. I realise there are some genuinely awful MILs out there and that I'm lucky to have had 2 nice normal ones but people seem to forget that one day it'll be them who is missing their DS and wanting to spend time with their DGCs, and maybe not always being particularly reasonable about it.

Shouldnt these sorts of threads serve as a reminder to all of us not to be unreasonable in those circumstances?

There are plenty of brilliant and even just fine MILs out there. I've got one who's fine; my mother had one who was beyond nightmarish - actively trying to break my parents up. She went through a phase of sending my mother house listings as obviously she'd need somewhere to live after dad kicked her out. (My parents remain reasonably happily married.) Treating the fact that there are shit MILs out there who do huge damage as 'niche', not mainstream and not allowed to be talked about in the main bits of MN is really unfair to the people who have the shit MILs.

ollieplimsoles Sun 29-May-16 10:58:02

In most of the posts I've read, the DILs want a good relationship with their MILs for the sake of their children so put up with a lot of crap from their MIL.

This.

ollieplimsoles Sun 29-May-16 10:59:22

And have a look on gransnet, its got lots of mils complaining about dils on there

BillBrysonsBeard Sun 29-May-16 11:15:54

I have a great MIL so my perception isn't skewed to be cynical, but most of the threads I read on here do sound like genuine difficult ones and it sounds so stressful. It's like anything on mumsnet, people come here for help and advice so a lot of topics will be framed negatively. In real life I hardly know anyone with a bad MIL. People will gather here in their numbers.. Same with cheating spouse threads. I know very few people who have cheated but it's rife on here. Let people vent!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now