"Would you like me to email your receipt madam?"

(76 Posts)
MyballsareSandy2015 Sat 28-May-16 16:21:19

No!
Why would I?
I'll take it now thank you!

More and more shops seem to be asking this and I fear I'm turning into a grumpy old lady.

Oysterbabe Sat 28-May-16 16:22:50

It's loads better. It won't get lost and binned and you can easily find it if you need it.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 28-May-16 16:23:34

It depends on the shop - it is actually useful have an electronic copy if receipts unless you are organised enough to keep them filed.

Boysnme Sat 28-May-16 16:24:03

Have to say I much prefer it too, but then I loose everything!

tuesdaywednesday Sat 28-May-16 16:24:23

It's to get your email address. I've bought an under £10 item in Argos and been asked this.

PreAdvent13610 Sat 28-May-16 16:24:28

And you can receive fifty seven e-mails a week from the people they sell your address to. I am happy being grumpy grin

notamummy10 Sat 28-May-16 16:26:14

I wish more places offered this, I've only come across Apple and River Island that emails you your receipt. It's handy for me as my iPhone barely leaves my hand so I'm constantly on my emails.

Oysterbabe Sat 28-May-16 16:28:04

I have two email accounts for this reason. Businesses that want to sell stuff get one, which I never check but could find emails in if I needed to, and friends, family, professionals get the other.

Olddear Sat 28-May-16 16:29:47

Only happened once but I prefer it.

DefinitelyNotAJourno Sat 28-May-16 16:30:07

I love it when people email receipts. It makes it so easy to find them when they're needed, not least because I've always got my mobile where I can search my email.

NotYoda Sat 28-May-16 16:31:40

It's to get your email address, so I say No

Andbabymakesthree Sat 28-May-16 16:31:52

I wouldn't mind it if they highlighted what other uses they might use it for.

If it's a one off not stored or sold on then fine.
If it's going to be used by marketing or third parties I want ability to opt out.

CurlyBlueberry Sat 28-May-16 16:32:39

I saw the title of this thread and thought "that's a fantastic idea". It would mean I'd have receipts for everything!

NotYoda Sat 28-May-16 16:34:32

I think if they told me they didn't use it for other purposes, I wouldn't believe them. They'd say anything wouldn't they. Not without written information. Which rather defeats the object of refusing a paper receipt

LupoLoopy Sat 28-May-16 16:36:38

I WAY prefer it. Google Mail filters out the marketing crap anyway and I can always click unsubscribe.

Searchable receipts are the best. Lost ones or ones buried in shoe boxes are crap smile

londonrach Sat 28-May-16 16:36:40

I tell them i dont have email as did lady in front of me today.

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 28-May-16 16:37:48

I prefer it. Much more efficient and they never get lost!

stopfaffing Sat 28-May-16 16:38:47

I've just done this for three electrical items. Really convenient. I got a paper receipt at the time too (which I will lose).

Witchend Sat 28-May-16 16:39:44

Argos does it and it's brilliant for the thing that's gone wrong 6 mnths down the line.

glassgarden Sat 28-May-16 16:41:40

yes it's to get your email address for marketing purposes but it's a very simple matter to keep a separate e-mail account for this sort of thing

MyballsareSandy2015 Sat 28-May-16 16:43:02

How many times in the last six months have any if you had to search for a receipt to take something back? I'm curious

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-May-16 16:44:48

It's fine by me but only been asked by about 3 shops.

notamummy10 Sat 28-May-16 16:46:17

MyBalls I have... My UrBeats earphones have stopped working, Apple have them covered under their One-Year Warranty (Apple own Dre Beats now) but they need to see the proof of purchase (so the Argos receipt) but I can't find it and these earphones cost me £80. sad

LupoLoopy Sat 28-May-16 16:46:36

Me? At least 3 times in the last year, for warranty claims on electronic devices mostly. Also, twice for cashback deals.

exexpat Sat 28-May-16 16:46:57

I only ever say yes for high-value, mainly electrical items from reasonably reputable shops - the risk of being bombarded with marketing emails is outweighed by security of having a searchable receipt if something goes wrong. And the decent shops usually have working 'unsubscribe' buttons on their emails and don't immediately sell your details on.

If it's for a T-shirt from River Island, no thanks. Same goes for loyalty cards from places I only use occasionally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now