to not want a running commentary of the football?!

(23 Posts)
PerfectlyPosed Fri 27-May-16 21:04:16

My DP is a big football fan. He gave up his season ticket when we had DD although he does go occasionally when he's not working. As its a lower league team, they are rarely on the TV. Therefore, when they are, I'm happy for him to watch it. Same with England games and other big games that he's interested in. I normally watch something on my iPad or just read Mumsnet or a book.

But why does he feel the need to give me a running commentary of the whole game?! He talks to me about it as if I'm interested and watching it when he can clearly see I'm not!

flappingbingowings Fri 27-May-16 21:06:06

Get your own back. Make him watch some ballet.

TheNewSchmoo Fri 27-May-16 21:08:11

Probably does want to sit in silence with his partner. Cut him some slack.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Fri 27-May-16 21:08:28

Earphones or ear defenders. Or a monotonous mantra about dullfuckball every time he opens his mouth.

It's one reason I love being single, I don't have to tolerate talk of such cobblersgrin

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Fri 27-May-16 21:10:02

Poor bloke.... Bet he can't win no matter what he does!!

PerfectlyPosed Fri 27-May-16 21:10:04

We're not sitting in silence and I have no problem with him cheering or even commenting but don't try and engage me in discussions about their defence when I'm not even watching!

Lucked Fri 27-May-16 21:10:06

My DH does this too and will try to get me to watch bits he pauses and rewinds even when I say I don't want to watch
"just watch this goal, it's amazing!"

He quite liked ballet though

ProcrastinatorGeneral Fri 27-May-16 21:21:16

Why should the OP have to watch something she has no interest in? She wants to concentrate on her own thing, and expects him to concentrate on his. It's rude to assume your own pastime is of interest to somebody when they've clearly stated they're not interested.

sonlypuppyfat Sat 28-May-16 10:35:44

My dad was obsessed by all sport rugby was his no1 then every single sport after it. We were made to watch everything and I hated it. I swore that when I grew up I would marry a man who hated sports as much as me, it worked out perfectly

ilovesooty Sat 28-May-16 10:39:08

If they're very rarely on TV and he is a passionate fan who gave up his season ticket I don't think it would kill you to watch and engage in the match with him. It's not as if it happens often.

PerfectlyPosed Sat 28-May-16 10:48:53

So it's not enough that he's watching it, I have to engage in it as well?! Does that mean I can force him to watch and sing along to The Sound of Music because it's something I enjoy and don't do very often?

ilovesooty Sat 28-May-16 10:51:32

Would it increase your enjoyment of the film?

DontBuyANewMumCuntingDailyMail Sat 28-May-16 10:54:25

My bugbear is when the TV is on and I'm clearly not watching busy MNing

DH will constantly say "Who's that?" "Ha, can't believe that" "That looks nice" etc so I keep having to say Sorry darling I'm not watching, I don't know what you're talking about.
Annoying.

PerfectlyPosed Sat 28-May-16 10:54:29

My DP commenting and singing along? No, probably not.

ilovesooty Sat 28-May-16 10:54:58

Did you do anything equivalent to giving up a season ticket when your child was born?

Could you compromise by engaging with his team's matches on the rare occasions they're on TV and asking him not to involve you in England matches?

ProcrastinatorGeneral Sat 28-May-16 18:19:54

Why should she?

She does not want to. That's enough. She doesn't need a reason. Her husband needs to just shut the fuck up and leave her be.

ilovesooty Sat 28-May-16 18:24:38

I didn't say she should. I just offered a suggestion.

No one has to make compromises but sometimes people are happier when they do.

LifeIsGoodish Sat 28-May-16 18:25:37

Just lots of "Yes, darling", "Oh, really? Wow." etc etc etc.

I've got one of those, too. I'm usually sitting there doing my own thing while he commentates. It's sort of companionable ignoring.

scarletmonkey Sat 28-May-16 18:52:24

dh does this.hmm

"watch this foul" "look at this for a corner" "see this goal, watch, watch" "did you see that tackle?!" "oh wow! Look, watch watch"

I.Don't.care. I couldn't give less of a crap about the football. You'd think my non commital "mmmms" might have made him realise this over the years. I clearly shouldn't of feigned interest when we first started going out!

PerfectlyPosed Sun 29-May-16 07:32:58

I will have to practice my interested face for the short time that we are in the Euros then!

LifeIsGoodish Sun 29-May-16 10:24:49

No, no, don't pretend to show any genuine interest! Just acknowledge that he has spoken, shared something with you that he is passionate about. You don't actually need to pay any real attention to it.

ilovesooty Sun 29-May-16 12:25:16

Perhaps my comments are influenced by the couple I know. If he manages to watch football on TV he's relegated to the small kitchen TV. When he was directly involved on a local cup final match shesde an appearance and left well before the end because she was bored so missed the after match medal presentation. She still expects to be driven to the nearest big shopping centre and expects him to be interested in her clothes shopping though.

Birdsgottafly Sun 29-May-16 12:42:27

I found that Cider, helped.

Sitting in a pub, made watching it easier, as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now