AIBW to shout 'pizzas here!' so the delivery person doesn't know I'm alone?

(104 Posts)
3amClub Fri 27-May-16 16:01:55

Am I being weird?

OH think it's hilarious that I do this when I'm home alone & order pizza. I dont know why I do it but I know my friend does too. Maybe so the driver doesn't think I'm a greedy cow? Not that it matters.

Anyone else?

BrandNewAndImproved Fri 27-May-16 16:03:31

No how strange grin

NapQueen Fri 27-May-16 16:03:55

Very odd.

DameXanaduBramble Fri 27-May-16 16:04:15

Err, let me think. No.

HallowedMimic Fri 27-May-16 16:04:25

Yes, but only because the food places out here use the dodgiest looking drivers.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were running drugs on the side.

Nicnak2223 Fri 27-May-16 16:05:18

I shout goodbye to an empty house when I go out, weird as if dh is in I don't shout confused

Looly71 Fri 27-May-16 16:05:35

No I do it with Chinese delivery. A) so they don't think I'm greedy and B) so they don't think I'm alone.....
Also shout 'see you later' when I'm leaving the house and there's no-one home so anyone listening (very busy street, dodgy area) thinks there's someone still in.

FeckinCrutches Fri 27-May-16 16:05:50

Er no. What's the problem? That they might think you're greedy?

PurpleRibbons Fri 27-May-16 16:05:57

I get that. If I went out in a taxi when I lived alone I would shout goodbye loudly as I left the house so the driver wouldn't think the house was empty. This was after a lot of burglaries linked to a taxi firm in my area though!

piddleypower Fri 27-May-16 16:06:06

When we lived in a very dodgy area of town we used to shout "bye, see you later" when we left the house empty, in case any burglars were lurking!! YABW but I like it!!

FeckinCrutches Fri 27-May-16 16:06:35

Looly why do you give a chuff what they think?

paniniswapx3 Fri 27-May-16 16:06:43

I shout about food when getting takeaway delivered & I'm home alone & I also shout bye to an empty house when getting in a taxi. Nothing weird with that!

Lovepancakes Fri 27-May-16 16:08:40

Panini but why and who are you talking to if no ones there? Just curious as I don't understand this!

FeckinCrutches Fri 27-May-16 16:09:49

Do you all think the driver is going to assault you? I don't know anyone who does this, bonkers.

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Fri 27-May-16 16:10:22

Do you shout when you are getting pizza and not alone? I don't, I just go to the door in silence.

I bet the deliverey guys are wise to it anyway. They know that you're shouting to an empty house.

curren Fri 27-May-16 16:11:28

I don't. But my mum used to. When I was late teens she didn't realise I was home. She Came in ordered pizza, shouted 'pizzas here', I came down for pizza (assuming she knew I was there) and she nearly crapped herself. grin

It was only then that we found out she did this

pigsDOfly Fri 27-May-16 16:11:30

Personally it's not something I'd do, but if it makes you feel safer in your own home I think it's a good idea and not weird at all.

Although, as someone who lives alone, apart from the dog, I think I'd feel a bit odd yelling 'the pizza's here' at an empty house. Apart from anything else I wouldn't want the dog thinking she's going to get to share some of the pizza smile

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Fri 27-May-16 16:11:45

I've been known to shout to bye an empty house when going out.

We had a fake housemate "Susan" in my Uni house - if ever we were all going out, or the last to leave the house, we would shout "bye Susan". Student burglaries were rife at the time.

StarkyTheDirewolf Fri 27-May-16 16:11:57

I used to do this when I lived alone! It made me feel better about myself grin I've been known to say 'do you want anything else?' whilst ordering on the phone too...nobody needs to know I was asking the dog.

And yes to calling bye to an otherwise empty house too! I thought most people did that!

Hawkmoth Fri 27-May-16 16:12:10

I thought everyone did this!

BrandNewAndImproved Fri 27-May-16 16:12:31

Why do you care if someone you don't know thinks you're greedy? I am greedy and proud wink

PottyMouthed Fri 27-May-16 16:12:39

No Yanbu, no harm in not advertising the fact you're alone! You never know who might be listening or whatever.

How much food is too much when you're on your own? grin

Hodooooooooor Fri 27-May-16 16:12:47

I'd think you were more likely to be shouting to an empty house. It's not like they are going to assume that you are alone just because you aren't shouting at the door, is it?

Heyheyheygoodbye Fri 27-May-16 16:14:10

lol I do this grin

BogOak Fri 27-May-16 16:15:25

So you're not doing it in case the pizza delivery guy is a homicidal maniac who decides to break in and murder you if he realises you're home alone - you're doing it in case the pizza delivery guy thinks you're a greedy heifer for ordering an entire big pizza for yourself?

And this bothers you so much - the possible opinion of a busy stranger you will almost certainly never see again, and who is very unlikely to be thinking 'A 20 inch pepperoni AND garlic bread, chips and mozzarella balls - for one person!!!' - that you have imaginary housemates?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now