To not understand why anyone drinks wine?

(142 Posts)
IHateSummer Fri 27-May-16 10:20:44

Red wine tastes like vinegar. White wine tastes like toilet cleaner. Everytime I've drank rose I've had to hold my nose and get awful heartburn immediately. Prosecco and champagne are also equally disgusting. Now beer/ale/lager I love and will happily drink.

But seriously, why do so many people drink wine?

PurpleDaisies Fri 27-May-16 10:21:52

Because we all have different tastes? confused

Lumpylumperson Fri 27-May-16 10:22:47

Because we like it.

Personally I loathe shepherds pie but I do understand that people like different things so that might be someone else's favourite dinner.

Not everyone likes the same thing.

Wolfiefan Fri 27-May-16 10:22:58

Because we buy the good stuff and like the way it tastes.
Don't like it? Don't drink it. More for me!
grin

susiella Fri 27-May-16 10:23:01

I can't understand its allure either. It all tastes horrible to me. But, diff'rent strokes and all that.

dimdiolch Fri 27-May-16 10:23:14

Because everyone, aside from you, is a bellend.

Offler Fri 27-May-16 10:23:42

Because they do like it. Y'know, people have different tastes etc, taste changes over time. I never used to like it, but I do like a glass of red now and then, same with prosecco and champagne.

HostaFireandIce Fri 27-May-16 10:24:27

Have you ever tried wine from a bottle that cost more than £2.99? That might help.

Offler Fri 27-May-16 10:24:46

And I think beer/ale tastes like old socks, but I don't have to drink it 😁

Thelittleredhead Fri 27-May-16 10:25:01

I don't drink wine, at the moment. But GOD how I miss it.

Mmmmm delicious wine. 22 weeks and counting wink

gandalf456 Fri 27-May-16 10:25:44

It is an acquired taste, like anything alcoholic. Some tastes we just can't acquire. I found that with real ales - and they give me a headache. I am happy to drink lagers, though. I used to drink them far more than wine in my youth but I think wine has got better now and the good ones are more affordable.

srslylikeomg Fri 27-May-16 10:25:56

Are you on glue?

BathshebaDarkstone Fri 27-May-16 10:26:10

YANBU, it turns me into a bastard.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Fri 27-May-16 10:26:30

More wine for me! Keep on hating it.

Redglitter Fri 27-May-16 10:26:53

I can't understand why anyone would choose beer or lager when they could have prosecco or a nice white wine.

Everyone's different

SqueegyBeckinheim Fri 27-May-16 10:27:00

Wine tastes awful to me to, but I don't assume everyone tastes it that way or it wouldn't be as wildly popular as it is.

The biggest problem I have is that people don't believe I hate the taste of wine, and are always insisting I try different types to find one I like when I just want to stick with a nice beer.

FeckinCrutches Fri 27-May-16 10:27:10

Beer/ale/lager is disgusting <shrugs> each to their own. I can't imagine going to my favourite restaurant and having a pint of ale with my dinner wink

BeyondTellsEveryoneRealFacts Fri 27-May-16 10:27:31

Ew, you drink beer?! What the hell is wrong with you?

Rude, isnt it.

CaptainCrunch Fri 27-May-16 10:27:50

I don't understand people who don't drink it. They're utter pests at dinner parties.

dementedpixie Fri 27-May-16 10:28:30

I dint like beer/ale/lager but drink white/rosé wine/cider. I don't have to understand why you do like to drink those drinks so don't judge why others drink something that differs from what you like

gandalf456 Fri 27-May-16 10:28:55

Ale goes well with Steak and Kidney pie. So does a nice red, come to think....

deVelvet Fri 27-May-16 10:29:03

You drink what you like, I will drink what I like? Deal?

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Fri 27-May-16 10:29:05

I've always wanted to be a wine drinker, looks so much classier than a pint or alcopop. Unfortunately I must have similar tastebuds to you OP because it all tastes rank sad

I still give it a go every few years incase my palate has matured. It hasn't but I can stomach a Buck's Fizz at Christmas now.

kelper Fri 27-May-16 10:29:14

I don't like beer. I have the same problem as Squeegy with people trying to get my to try different beers. I'm 37. I've tried a lot of beer and I can't find one i like. So i drink wine. Problem solved.
Wouldn't the world be boring if we all liked the same stuff?

LunaLoveg00d Fri 27-May-16 10:29:23

Because we all have different tastes?

Exactly this. I love white wine, give me a good Sauvignon Blanc or Prosecco and I'm very happy.

Beer of any form though is absolutely disgusting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now