Car insurance dilemma

(6 Posts)
Fieryfighter Thu 26-May-16 19:47:38

Hi, I wanted to put a relative on my car insurance as an additional driver on a permanent basis.

I asked them for their motoring convictions date as I knew she had a speeding ticket last year. Apparently she had had two in the past 3 years (only marginally over, one was when she was convinced it was 40 but it had changed to a 30 recently-ish) .

As she couldn't remember the exact dates we went online to the gov.uk site where you can check your licence details and it clearly says she has no points on her licence.

Now she knows for fact she has 6 points on her licence, definitely within the last 3 years, but she doesn't want to now chase this up as it's showing she's free of points.

My worry is this could invalidate my insurance if I give her details and state she has no motoring convictions should it come out that she does indeed have points. She thinks it's fine as the government website clearly states she had none.

Wwyd? She thinks I'm being pedantic and unreasonable.

hookiewookie29 Thu 26-May-16 19:54:06

Yes it would invalidate your insurance if you put incorrect information.
I would get her to contact the DVLA and ask them.

Fieryfighter Thu 26-May-16 19:58:01

She doesn't want to question it in case points then appear on her licence. She's saying that should it be questioned I just say she gave me her licence details and I checked them myself online and it was clear.

DefinitelyNotAJourno Thu 26-May-16 19:58:12

These sometimes reappear. My partner's didn't show on his phone check then randomly one day they did.

kath6144 Thu 26-May-16 19:58:34

Op did your friend not get the chance to go on a speed awarenesss course? These are usually offered for being just over limit and would have meant no points, although you cannot go on a second course within a certain time frame, I think it is a 3year period.

Does she definitely know she has got the points, as it seems odd the website doesnt show them?

caroldecker Thu 26-May-16 20:08:18

Contact your insurance company and ask their advice. Do not mention any offence, but say that what checks should you make to ensure they have a clean licence. ie if you check the online site, it is clear and you screenprint, is that enough for the insurance company?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now