To ask those of you with tattoos what you have and if you regret them?

(80 Posts)
hairyfreckle Thu 26-May-16 15:08:40

And how much does it hurt?

I want one.

Not sure though

EatShitDerek Thu 26-May-16 15:10:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GretchenBeckett Thu 26-May-16 15:11:03

Rose on my foot and a swallow on my back. They both have special meanings to me. Yes it hurt but definitely don't regret them.

DailyFaily Thu 26-May-16 15:12:41

I have and I don't regret it, it's part of me now and I like how it looks. It does hurt, depends where it is, some bits of the body hurt more than others (mine goes from groin and around my hip, then up my back) - it's short lived pain though, it doesn't really hurt all that much once it's finished. Don't get one until you are sure; they're more painful coming off than they are going on I understand.

LaContessaDiPlump Thu 26-May-16 15:14:07

I have a stupid spur-of-the-moment one on my ankle which I usually forget about. However yesterday DS1 (5yo) said 'I wish I had a tattoo' and I said 'Oh I've got one' all casual-like and showed it to him. It might be the only time my son has ever been impressed by my coolness grin

Not exactly a stirring pro-tattoo testimonial but it tickled me!

sixinabed Thu 26-May-16 15:15:03

I have one. It hurt but I can't remember really - it's on my foot which the tattooist cheerfully told me was one of the most painful places but it's not seated on my memory.

I don't regret it, I love it (10 yrs now), and am planning another.

I did the design myself, took several months to plan it, and carefully researched my tattoo artist - looking at various peoples work, recommendations from friends whose tattoos I liked etc.

I know who I want to do my next one, and am saving up.

Good luck.

deVelvet Thu 26-May-16 15:15:22

Regret mine absolutely.

I was 15 and so scared of being caught underage that I queued for 4 hours and did not decide what I wanted.

So when "Johnny" shouted next, I stood up, pointed to the first thing on the wall and took my seat in his chair.

My tattoo is on my shoulder, it's two hearts with an arrow going through it. Not terrible, but it reminds me of being a stupid teenager who thought she was the bees knees.

It didn't hurt imo though. Hot pins and needles

Kenworthington Thu 26-May-16 15:16:37

I've got a few- a full sleeve, half a sleeve in progress, large ankle tattoo and across the back of my shoulders. Don't regret any of them. Will be getting more! Pain is ok, but depends on where it is tbh. Elbow hurt like a morherfucker.

Pseudo341 Thu 26-May-16 15:18:16

Mine's at the base of my spine. I very slim when I had it done so no padding over that area whatsoever, it was extremely painful! Nearly 20 years later I don't regret it but I'm sad that the ink has run so it doesn't look great any more. I'm working up the courage to get it redone if that's possible.

superwormissuperstrong Thu 26-May-16 15:20:11

Don't do it until you are sure - it probably took me about 5 years between starting to think about it, to work by out a design, to going round different studios until was 100% happy wih the artist and how they interpreted my design.
As mentioned it probably depends where and how big you want it as to whether it will hurt.
I have an angel between my shoulder blades - only the part along the spine hurt - the rest was fine...
I have considered more and although this sounds very step ford wife my other half hates them and I don't feel strongly enough about it to keep adding tattoos. But am very proud of the one I have and show it off as much as possible!

OliveBranchCollins Thu 26-May-16 15:20:30

I have 3 one on each hip and one on right ankle. I hate the ankle one now I got it at 18 and it was very much "yeah ive left home I can do what I want now" every time i wear a dress now I hate how it lookssad

NeedyGoat Thu 26-May-16 15:21:17

A rose. On my hip. I was young and foolish and detest it.

BeyondTellsEveryoneRealFacts Thu 26-May-16 15:21:29

I reckon it feels like someone scraping you with sandpaper. Not too different to that stuff they rub on you when you have an ECG. Not comfortable, but not painful.

I have a few and dont regret any smile

kiki22 Thu 26-May-16 15:25:58

I have 5 the 4th hurt like you wouldn't believe, in my foot it was agony but the others were fine. I don't regret any but there's a bit on my foot one I don't like a little flower that didn't turn out well most likely from me moving so much.

The others are my wrist, forearm, hip and the back of my neck.

Dinosaur1991 Thu 26-May-16 15:35:08

I have a nearly completed (well about 70%) patchwork sleeve in progress and a few others dotted around.
The only one I regret is the one I rushed into and didn't check the artists portfolio, my stupid mistake there...
I don't find the pain too bad, however I find the worse places are on the inside of anything, so inner arm, inner bicep etc. I also hate the healing process but I feel it's worth it in the end.

Angelina77 Thu 26-May-16 15:37:10

I have a small one on the small of my back. It was quite painful and I don't really like it any more but I wouldn't say I regret it. Thankfully I can easily forget about it. I've thought many times about getting more (I've always leaned towards alternative/goth fashion) but I just remind myself that it will look shit one day, either through my skin aging/stretching, the ink spreading or just because fashion moves on. Someone said to me that if you can't imagine wearing the same clothes every day for the rest of your life, then why would you get a visible tattoo? That, and the state of my Dad's arms, has convinced me to never go there again.

BeyondTellsEveryoneRealFacts Thu 26-May-16 15:38:52

Urgh yes, the healing process is much worse than getting it done. I have a new one and it is So Bloody Itchy!!! grin

NeedACleverNN Thu 26-May-16 15:40:38

I got two

Three stars on my wrist
Paw prints on my hip

The hip hurt the most but both were bearable

Don't regret either. What's the point in regretting them? They are there now.

DontDead0penlnside Thu 26-May-16 15:41:53

Have a couple, planning on another one at some point. One is easily visible if I want, one is not at all. New one will be visible if I want it to be, in a social or fitness setting. And large.

Yes it hurts but the interest factor of watching something appear on your skin outweighs that and you 'forget' the pain. Also the body does something chemical I think, to help with the feeling.

Never bothered regretting them, what's the point? They are me, and a representation of who I was at that point in my life.

EveryoneElsie Thu 26-May-16 15:42:18

All my family are heavily pierced and tattooed, no we dont regret them, we will get more.
It feels like a Chinese burn when its being done and it itches for 2 weeks while it heals. Then you admire it for a month and then you plan the next one.
Just plan it carefully and pick a good tattoo artist.
If you change your mind there are two good options for removal; laser removal and Erase ink. Bear in mind it costs as much to get it removed as it did to have it put on.

NoPowerInTheVerseCanStopMe Thu 26-May-16 15:43:21

I have a lily of the valley tattoo on my shoulder. I love it and don't regret it at all! It wasn't too painful, just felt like sunburn I thought. The itching as it healed though....confused

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Thu 26-May-16 15:44:48

I have 2: a little heart on my ankle, which I love and I have my DDs name (in Chinese) on my upper arm. I regret the second one as I now have 5 kids and don't want a list going down my arm, however, I'd like something else to represent them.

Barmaid101 Thu 26-May-16 15:45:32

I'm very indecisive, always wanted a small one, could never decide what to get, I then got my daughters names tattooed on my foot with an item in which she is referee to as if that makes sense.
The only thing ones I knew I would never regret were having my child's name. Foot hurt for a few days and itches a bit but a bit of bepantham and all was good

frenchielala Thu 26-May-16 15:47:35

If you are considering a tattoo have a read of this article. I found it food for thought: www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fashion-and-style/11545649/Were-not-going-to-reach-peak-tattoo-until-2025.html

WhimsicalTwattery Thu 26-May-16 15:48:48

I have 70 hours (ish) of tattooing.... DH is a tattooist so they are all freebies!
They do hurt- some more than others. Some people say 'it hurts because it's near to a bone'; not true! It hurts where the nerves are!
Most painful places are where the sensitive skin is (inside of elbow, armpits, back of knees) and where vital organs are (chest, stomach etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now