To think it's ridiculous that women have to do this today in the UK - abortion related

(230 Posts)
Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Tue 24-May-16 06:52:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

quasibex Tue 24-May-16 10:27:02

It's another example of the law being in favour of the wealthy.

If you have the funds and find yourself in a position where a child is the worst possible option for you you simply hop on the plane, get what you need and it's sorted. You only have your personal demons to deal with as an aftermath.

If you don't have the money you face the impossible choice of bringing up a child that cannot be cared for in the way it deserves, having to give up a child for adoption or risk being caught breaking the law and subsequent punishment along with your personal demons.

The same is happening in America. This isn't Pro-Life it's another way of keeping women under control by a patriarchal society.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Tue 24-May-16 14:32:35

LucyBabs Tue 24-May-16 14:40:12

It's the same for us here in the ROI. Ireland are happy to export our abortions, nearly 4,000 Irish women travelled to the UK in 2015 for an abortion.

As long as it's not in holy Ireland the do gooders don't care. Hypocrites.

You don't have to agree with or support abortion that's your choice but abortion will always happen.

As quas said it's just another way to hold power over women.

I'm sick of having these conversations with those against abortion. We've all made our points now.. you don't agree it with and others do so let's put it to the people of Ireland with a referendum and be bloody done with it!

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Tue 24-May-16 14:40:37

Roonerspism Tue 24-May-16 14:45:02

Good on these women. It's shocking it's come to this

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Tue 24-May-16 14:45:41

EveryoneElsie Tue 24-May-16 14:48:11

Wasn't there a 14 year old school girl that was raped and banned from travelling for an abortion? Its a barbaric policy.

twofingerstoGideon Tue 24-May-16 14:48:46

You only have your personal demons to deal with as an aftermath.

Or not... as the case may be. Many women feel nothing but relief post-termination.

I think the three women are very brave for highlighting this topic in NI.

It's very likely this thread will go the way of most threads on here about abortion, with the usual people piling in with the 'what-iffery' about very late term abortions etc. I do hope not.

Nanny0gg Tue 24-May-16 14:48:58

Is the MAP allowed in Ireland?

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Tue 24-May-16 14:49:23

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Tue 24-May-16 14:49:36

Postino Tue 24-May-16 15:02:01

I support the Abortion Support Network link

It provides financial assistance to women travelling from Ireland to pay for abortions in England.

Postino Tue 24-May-16 15:04:02

Both Ireland and Northern Ireland I think

weegiemum Tue 24-May-16 15:06:31

One of the reasons dh has given for never going "home" as his mum always puts it!

Dawndonnaagain Tue 24-May-16 15:13:07

Good on them. Hopefully their actions will allow women safe access to abortions should they so choose.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Tue 24-May-16 16:50:11

Fizzielove Tue 24-May-16 17:29:46

So proud of these women!

What REALLY REALLY annoys me is that they come off with some bullshit that they did a survey and that x% of the population don't want abortion legalised! It's always a really high % as well.

No one I know has EVER been asked! What do they do - who do they ask? The old biddies coming out of Mass on a Tuesday morning? The MALE politicians who are all so bigoted anyway !

I despair of the politics in this country.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Tue 24-May-16 17:31:56

Pettywoman Tue 24-May-16 18:07:09

Good for them, they should have a medal.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Tue 24-May-16 18:53:08

VestalVirgin Tue 24-May-16 19:01:21

Awesome!

If all elderly women did that, I do think the laws would have to be changed.

Especially if they all demanded to be imprisoned - just imagine that, female prisons bursting with cool elderly women, and more and more coming in ...

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Tue 24-May-16 19:08:33

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Tue 24-May-16 21:39:14

whydidhesaythat Tue 24-May-16 22:06:44

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now