To be really scared of filling tomorrow

(33 Posts)
Wetbankhols Sun 22-May-16 20:08:56

I am having a filling tomorrow.

It is only the second one I have ever had (mortified!) but I am terrified and half considering cancelling (I don't think I will.)

I have a REALLY strong gag reflex and I'm worried about choking.

Please reassure me it's not that bad shock

NursedOut Sun 22-May-16 20:17:04

I had a tooth out a few months ago.
It'd had needed doing for two years, so essentially it was fucked.
Told the dentist I was terrified and that if I flapped my hands about while she was doing her dentistry she was to stop what she was doing to give me a break.
She was totally ok with this.
There was no pain from the injection, more a slight twinge or soreness, but was over in a second or two, there was no gagging or choking and I didn't need to flap my hands about to get her to stop! Itwas a really positive experience.
Talk to your dentist and explain you're scared, they're used to it and you'll be absolutely fine.

RegTheMonkey1 Sun 22-May-16 20:23:09

I had my first filling in many years recently and the whole experience was much better than it used to be. He numbed the site with a wad of something, that was even before the injection, the jab itself didn't hurt at all and neither did the rest of the procedure. He said he would stop at any time if I was feeling discomfort. I didn't have to, it was fine. The fear of the thing is always worse than the thing itself!. Don't cancel - could lead to worse problems further down the line.

monkeywithacowface Sun 22-May-16 20:25:50

It will be fine I'm having one this week too. Just tell them if you raise your hand they need to stop. Also ask them to let you know how much longer they will be doing each thing for. Always less stressful when you know when something is going to end!

StinkyMcgrinky Sun 22-May-16 20:29:50

I had a very bad experience at the dentist when younger and as a result I have a really bad dental phobia, to the point where the GP prescribed me diazepam a week before I was due to have an extraction…anyway I go to a private dentist who has an anaesthetist on staff so I can choose to pay to be put under GA if I need any serious work doing. blush I had a filling a few months ago and the agreement with my dentist was that we would try a normal procedure and if it all got too much she would stop and we book try again under GA. DH dropped me off and went to park the car and I panicked when I was called in before he returned, I decided to be brave and went in myself knowing DH would join me when he got there.

The whole procedure was completely painless, honestly. The dentist put some numbing gel on my gum before administering the local and then did the drilling (which I didn't feel at all) and in went the filling. I was done in about 5 mins flat and before DH had even arrived, I left feeling like I had conquered the world! The most annoying thing was trying to stop myself from playing with the filling for the rest of the day.

RobinHumphries Sun 22-May-16 20:42:28

Stinky it is illegal to put someone under GA in general practice in the UK.

StinkyMcgrinky Sun 22-May-16 20:46:51

Apologies, of course I meant IV Sedation. I had dental aneathesiologist in my head and immediately typed GA. Either way, they are there to make me not care enough about whats going on but moral of the story is I didn't need one

LurcioAgain Sun 22-May-16 20:56:47

When I had to have a wisdom tooth out, I paid for gas and air during the procedure - best 100 quid I ever spent. Was pleasantly stoned throughout. (Actually, it was a very easy and straightforward extraction in any case - as the dentist had told me it would be).

crazycatlady34 Sun 22-May-16 20:58:26

What a coincidence! I was in exactly the same boat last week- crapping myself! Honestly, the worst bit Is waiting in the waiting room. The needle stings but no more than a scratch, and then they wash your tooth with water and then drill it. The noise is uncomfortable but it's only a few minutes and doesn't hurt at all! If at any point it does hurt you can get the second needle (which you don't even feel) and that's it! They just wipe the filling on and you're good to go! Good luck you'll be okayflowers

Catzpyjamas Sun 22-May-16 21:04:48

I empathise. I also have a strong gag reflex but I think dentists must be used to that, and worse.
I'm getting a root canal treatment tomorrow, the first of three appointments to replace a very old crown. DD (8) has to come with me so I'll need to act brave hmm
Be brave with me and buy yourself a sticker on the way home grin

LobsterQuadrille Sun 22-May-16 21:10:08

I really sympathise - I've had very little done to my teeth but it's been my phobia since childhood - I have always had dreams of my teeth falling out or crumbling (apparently related to insecurities). Prior to my last filling, I actually asked my dentist if anyone had died in his dentist's chair - without realising how frankly insulting that was!!

I make a point of asking for masses of injection stuff - they give me double the amount - on the down side it takes ages to wear off but I don't care; it means I feel nothing at all and just lie there thinking of beaches and pink sand. And yes to the PP who said to raise your hand if you want the dentist to stop.

Good luck - you will be fine.

crazycatlady34 Sun 22-May-16 21:10:33

catz I agree it's a good idea to take someone along - I took my mum so I couldn't be panicky as she'd tell me to stop being silly!

woody2976 Sun 22-May-16 21:13:29

my 8 year old is having a filling tomorrow in a back adult tooth sad im so nervous for her.

SpringHasNearlySprung Sun 22-May-16 21:14:37

I had my first filling last month. I'm 48. I was in the dentists chair and out again in 15 minutes and that was with the local anaesthetic being put in. The worst part was my mouth feeling numb, that's the part I didn't cope well with.

woody2976 Sun 22-May-16 21:16:21

anyone advise me how to prepare my DD. Ive never had a filling so don't know what its like.

monkeywithacowface Sun 22-May-16 21:27:44

My 8 year was given a temporary filling in the back tooth so no drilling, just filled with whatever it is the my put in there! I remember having the same as a child, lasted years before it had to be done properly.

Crinkle77 Sun 22-May-16 21:51:42

The last 2 times I had a filling I asked if it was necessary for me to have an injection. He said no cos it was just a small filling and it might just be abit sensitive but they offered it as most people feel more reassured having one. I find the pain of the inejction the most painful so opted not to have any anaesthetic. In fact it was fine and there was no pain just some sensitivity. The actual filling was really quick cos he just pushed this paste in to the hole and got me to bite down on it. If it's a large filling then it might be different but that was my experience.

woody2976 Sun 22-May-16 22:08:22

sorry to hijack! dentist said they get the decay out first with a laser???

Bourdic Sun 22-May-16 23:07:02

www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral-health/basics/dental-visits/article/getting-a-dental-impression-how-to-cope-with-your-gag-reflex-0613
I find breathing through my nose really helps

GingerMerkin Sun 22-May-16 23:14:23

I have needle phobia so become a total wuss at the thought of one. I had a tooth crowned and three fillings replaced two months ago and sailed through it. Keep admiring my lovely white fillings and thinking how much nicer they are than the silver crap I had before. OP you will be fine.

StarryIllusion Sun 22-May-16 23:28:19

Honestly it is nothing. Needle scratches a bit but nothing major. Don't be put off by the size of it, remember it has to be long so they can reach the back of someone's mouth without being wrist deep.

Then you start going numb and they will gently prod your gum and ask if you can feel it. You won't but if you do just say so and they give you a bit longer to numb up before they start. The drill is nothing. You just lie there and wait. It vibrates a little and there is a smell that is kind of like when you file your nails. They spray water and have a suction tube in your mouth during drilling so no dust gets in your throat. They don't generally go against the back of your mouth so I wouldn't worry about gagging. Then you sit there chilling while they mix up the filling and press it in a little at a time and smooth it out. They might use the drill to smooth the edges of the filling and if it is a composite filling they use a little UV light thing to set it, which takes about 30 seconds. Then they stick a little bit of carbon paper between your teeth and ask you to bite down and wiggle your jaw to check your bite. Then you rinse with this weird tasting stuff and you're done.

If it is a particularly weak tooth they might use a matrix which is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever experienced but not a big deal really. It's like a metal vice that goes around your tooth before they start, to support it during the filling. It screws up tight and the handle just sort of sticks out of your mouth. Bit sharp on the edges but again you are numb so don't feel it till later.

Can you tell, I've had loads of fillings? lol

Windsofwinter Sun 22-May-16 23:41:14

Going against general consensus here...I'd never again have any kind of treatment without sedation. I have a crippling dental phobia. I had two fillings without sedation (it's not routinely offered) and could not do it again, horrendous experience but purely because of my own fears. Have since had a wisdom tooth extracted under sedation and don't remember a thing. It's the way to go!

madamginger Sun 22-May-16 23:49:13

I had my first filling a month or so ago after my back molar broke in half. I was so panicked as I've never needed any dental work before.
The dentist was lovely, he gave me extra local as I was upset and worried about the pain. I didn't feel a thing but my jaw was aching like mad as he basically wedged my jaw open to get to the back tooth and then he had to rebuild the tooth because of the way I broke it so I was in the chair for about 20 minutes. I was desperate to close my mouth I nearly bit the dentist blush

woody2976 Mon 23-May-16 16:14:20

my little girl was so so brave. squeezed my hand when they did the injection and there was tears in her eyes but its all done now and she said it wasnt too bad. Ive bought her David Walliams book for being so brave. not nice seeing your child have an injection in their mouth.

how did you get on OP?

Janeymoo50 Mon 23-May-16 16:24:13

I too have a horrible history with dentists (blamed entirely on 1970's school dentists). I had a filling last month, first one in years. No injection needed, never felt a thing, honestly things are so much better now. I too have an awful gag reflex (even cleaning my teeth is unpleasant most of the time). Focus on nice, easy breathing, ask for some music or take your own and have something in your hand to squeeze (i took a tiny Bagpuss, it distracted me).
Good luck, you'll do it and feel so incredibly proud afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now