To cancel my visit to this hotel?

(39 Posts)
JiffyLemon Sat 21-May-16 19:45:15

WWYD if you booked a hotel in a strange country and later discovered that there had been a fatal shooting there three months ago? There's also some pretty shocking reviews on TA, but then again I have stayed in some hotels with bad reviews and liked them.

TellAStory Sat 21-May-16 19:52:05

You're going to a "strange" country?

I wouldn't automatically cancel, it would depend on a few things for me, what were the circumstances were and the security status of the country.

BusStopBetty Sat 21-May-16 19:55:56

Post a link to the hotel on trip advisor and we'll provide a full assessment.

pristinechristine Sat 21-May-16 19:57:56

Completely depends. What's the country - are shootings common there? What was the nature of the shooting?

Kriek Sat 21-May-16 19:58:00

I would and have cancelled.

LunaLoveg00d Sat 21-May-16 19:59:30

My parents booked a hotel in New York city which had some really awful tripadvisor reviews linking it to prostitution and there were reports of a shooting. They said it was absolutely fine. I would want to know the circumstances of the shooting.

JiffyLemon Sat 21-May-16 20:16:48

I say 'strange' country, it's ROI. But strange to me!

This is the TA review:
www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186605-d213287-Reviews-The_Regency_Hotel_Dublin-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

JiffyLemon Sat 21-May-16 20:17:22

"David Byrne was murdered at a boxing weigh-in at the hotel on the Swords road in Dublin on 5 February.

The 33-year-old, who was a member of the Kinahan crime cartel, was killed by a gang who were heavily armed with AK-47 rifles and other firearms."

mmmminx Sat 21-May-16 20:18:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jaimx86 Sat 21-May-16 20:21:17

Looking at the general trip advisor, I'd cancel anyway.

JiffyLemon Sat 21-May-16 20:22:11

Oh I know, but even so... kind of puts me off! Maybe I'll risk it... unless anyone else can recommend a good hotel in the area?

TattiePants Sat 21-May-16 20:28:34

There are more 'terrible' ratings than 'excellent' ones, I'd cancel.

BarbaraofSeville Sat 21-May-16 20:47:36

Who chose that hotel - the reviews don't look good. That would be a good reason to stay elsewhere.

The fact that someone who was targeted because of who he was/what he was involved in who just happened to be shot in that hotel wouldn't put me off. I assume that they have cleaned the blood up by now.

Theimpossiblegirl Sat 21-May-16 20:51:20

The shooting wouldn't put me off. It was a targeted hit, nothing to do with the hotel.

If you really don't want to stay there, there are other hotels listed underneath on Tripadvisor. Dublin is a big city, there are lots of nice hotels to choose from.

Penfold007 Sat 21-May-16 20:53:39

A strange country? Your going to a hotel on the Falls Road in Dublin!

DramaAlpaca Sat 21-May-16 20:55:39

There are much nicer hotels in Dublin than that one. I'd cancel and choose another one instead.

As others have said, the shooting was nothing to do with the hotel itself. Dublin is a very safe city in general.

ImperialBlether Sat 21-May-16 20:55:50

The Falls Road is in Belfast, isn't it?

AnotherPrickInTheWall Sat 21-May-16 20:56:08

I would look at the hotels with better ( genuine) reviews.
Plenty to choose from.
Sorry the ratings are shite.

SlowJinn Sat 21-May-16 20:57:07

Ireland isn't a strange country confused

But there are far nicer hotels to stay in.

Buzzardbird Sat 21-May-16 20:57:33

Do people really book hotels without checking the reviews first?

Aworldofmyown Sat 21-May-16 20:58:14

The Marker Hotel is amazing. I would cancel yours due to the trip advisor views.

5608Carrie Sat 21-May-16 20:58:16

Lots of lovely hotels in Dublin and the Regency is a bit far out. What about The Skylon it is just a bit closer into City than the Regency.

Lovewineandchocs Sat 21-May-16 20:58:50

I've stayed there before with my DH and DS. We really enjoyed it-staff were very friendly and accommodating, the room was a good size and clean, and we enjoyed using the pool and facilities. Like a PP said, the shooting was a targeted hit. If you really want to change, there are plenty of other nice ones-the Clayton or the CityWest, for example.

Darwinisafish Sat 21-May-16 20:59:40

As soon as I saw this thread I though of the Regency, but then thought we are not "strange" . Regardless of the shooting I would recommend elsewhere. the Skylon is OK and in the same general area.

Oh god people.... check a bloody dictionary!!

Strange has two definitons, the second being something that the person has not previously seen/ visited/ encountered

Why comment on that anyway, when you're still able to decifer the post!?!? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now