About smart casual meaning no jeans?

(100 Posts)
SwearyGodmother Sat 21-May-16 13:48:02

DH and I have been invited to the evening bash of a wedding tonight and the dress code is smart casual. I think this means he can't wear jeans and should wear trousers/shirt/jacket or suit/shirt but no tie. He thinks jeans/shirt/jacket are alright as he argues they're dark and therefore smart jeans.

Which one of us is being unreasonable?

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Sat 21-May-16 13:49:36

I'm with you - no jeans.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 21-May-16 13:50:51

I agree with your husband

mum11970 Sat 21-May-16 13:52:27

I agree with your husband. Smart jeans fine. No footsie shirts and trainers.

thatstoast Sat 21-May-16 13:52:40

Wedding - no jeans. I can see other scenarios where jeans would be allowed under the 'smart casual' umbrella though.

KP86 Sat 21-May-16 13:52:56

No jeans at a wedding. Or funeral.

mum11970 Sat 21-May-16 13:53:15

Footie shirts even. Damn autocorrect.

Grilledaubergines Sat 21-May-16 13:54:46

No jeans.

AliceInHinterland Sat 21-May-16 13:55:49

Smart casual usually means no ripped/baggy jeans or shorts, but I think dark jeans are okay.

LemonRedwood Sat 21-May-16 13:55:59

For a wedding, I agree with you.
If the dress code for any other event was smart casual I'd take it to mean smart jeans were OK, with smart shoes/heels maybe (heels for me, probably not my DH grin)

MuttonCadet Sat 21-May-16 13:56:44

I would take smart casual to include jeans (as does business casual), amazed that someone needs to include a dress code on a wedding invite.
Tbh I'd not wear jeans to a wedding anyway, regardless of what the dress code said.

SwearyGodmother Sat 21-May-16 13:59:50

amazed that someone needs to include a dress code on a wedding invite

Agreed, and that's why I'm a bit thrown. If it hadn't been included it would have been a suit and no issue.

I think I err on the side of overdressed rather than underdressed and DH the other way round. It seems MN is split on the jeans/not issue too.

LemonRedwood Sat 21-May-16 14:04:43

Probably better to play it safe and not wear jeans!

venusinscorpio Sat 21-May-16 14:05:00

I think smart, darker jeans with a shirt and jacket are fine as smart casual. And i imagine other people will interpret it that way. I wouldn't wear them myself, but I like dressing up, it's the best bit!

PuppyMonkey Sat 21-May-16 14:06:43

Smart jeans would be fine IMHO - or a nice pair of slacks. grin

multivac Sat 21-May-16 14:07:03

Good grief. It's a party. What do you think will happen if he turns up in smart jeans and a shirt - he'll be chucked out? A social pariah? The subject of long, outraged posts on Mumsnet?

Seriously, the dress code is purely to give people an excuse to go at bit posh if they'd like to, and warn them that they might feel underdressed if they don't.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 21-May-16 14:08:33

Dark jeans will be fine.

multivac Sat 21-May-16 14:09:13

Just reread your last, and perhaps if this is the kind of social circle where 'a suit' is the default issue for an evening party... well, maybe 'smart casual' is to give people an excuse to dress down!

Mr Multivac wouldn't dream of putting on a suit for anything other than a funeral. And then only his father's (suit and funeral).

TendonQueen Sat 21-May-16 14:10:51

Smart casual is the least useful dress advice ever. No one knows what it means. I once had a day invite to a wedding that said 'smart casual'. WTF? What that meant in practice for men was suit and shirt but no tie. But as I said, this was daytime.

Smart casual normally doesn't include jeans and business casual definitely doesn't. But as multivac says, they're not going to kick you out if he wears his cleanest, newest, darkest jeans so it's his choice.

sooperdooper Sat 21-May-16 14:11:33

I'm with your DH, smart dark jeans but with shoes, a shirt and jacket is fine - what are they going to do anyway, not let him in? grin

GrumpyMummy123 Sat 21-May-16 14:14:05

It depends on the venue and the couple. I've been to a few weddings with dress advice - not a dress code as such, just 'summer casual' or 'evening dress', when it's an unusual venue or not a traditional wedding do.

As they've included it I'd take it to mean that for ladies a full on wedding outfit with fascinator isn't required, but don't turn up in your jeans! For blokes a suit is probably still appropriate, but tie could come off pretty quickly. My DH would probably wear chinos, shoes and shirt.

sooperdooper Sat 21-May-16 14:14:35

I do invites for all kinds of work events, if we want no jeans/trainers we say so, if it was that specific I'd put smart/casual - no jeans or trainers, but just smart/casual I'd expect people to wear smart (not ripped) jeans

NightWanderer Sat 21-May-16 14:15:10

I once had a wedding party invitation that said smart casual so i wore jeans. Everyone was in formalwear. It was so embarassing. I actually ducked out and bought a dress.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 21-May-16 14:16:00

I'm with your DH. I'd be wearing them too, I hate wearing skirts and dresses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now