To swap DC birthday

(11 Posts)
Boygirlmummy Fri 20-May-16 18:25:39

I'm a language interpreter. Over the years I've had many teachers, many of whom have been amazing. One of my incredible, inspirational and very memorable teachers passed away recently, very unexpectedly. My learned language is one that comes with a very close knit community so this has hit myself and many other learners quite hard so I am keen to pay my respects.

Sadly, the funeral falls on the same day as my DCs 3rd birthday. Its the middle of the day and quite a drive, so would be a full day commitment.
It's a weekday, so both me and DH have booked it off work and plan to go on a day out. As the funeral date has just been announced, WIBU to spend that day travelling to and attending the funeral and instead celebrating my DCs bday on the following day instead? We are also holding a birthday party at the weekend for friends and family, in addition to the family day out.

WWYD?

beetroot2 Fri 20-May-16 18:28:04

I'd go.

EatShitDerek Fri 20-May-16 18:28:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Coolgrannypie Fri 20-May-16 18:30:31

I'd go.
Your still giving him a party at the weekend at at 3 he doesn't really know when his birthday is

Stylingwax Fri 20-May-16 18:30:42

Swop it.
He really won't know or care.
He probably will next year grin

trilbydoll Fri 20-May-16 18:31:56

We celebrated dd's third birthday on the Sat rather than the Fri so we could go out on Friday - we thought she would want to play with her presents so we would never have got out the door! It felt a bit weird all day saying "your bday is tomorrow" grin

halighhalighaliehaligh Fri 20-May-16 18:35:48

I would watch them open their presents in the morning before you go. Will your DH be going with you or will he be looking after your child? If he's with them maybe they could do something special together. Or you could all go for a nice tea depending when you get back. Then the day out the following day. If you can't celebrate your birthday for 3 days when you're 3 when can you!

Smurfnoff Fri 20-May-16 18:36:41

The funeral is important to you and your child is too young to understand exactly what day it is. Go to the funeral, be glad you paid your respects and then, after a sad day, enjoy celebrating with the child.

paniniswapx3 Fri 20-May-16 18:37:30

I'd go - it's an important funeral & your DC is too little to realise. Sorry for your loss.

SpringerS Fri 20-May-16 18:41:11

Two things to consider. Can your husband switch his day off to the following day? And can you take both days off?

Boygirlmummy Fri 20-May-16 18:54:33

Thank you for your replies. Yes DH can swap days and I'm not working anyway the following day. I'd get up with dc, open cards and presents, then DH would go to work while dc spend the day with Grandma! Then we'd go for our day out the next day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now