Relocation relocation relocation

(12 Posts)
Smurfnoff Fri 20-May-16 14:44:21

I and everyone I work with have been told that our jobs are being moved to Birmingham - my home town - from next year. We have to make a decision by Christmas if we're going or not.

I decided on day one that I wasn't going and that hasn't changed. The majority of people in the office are doing the same. However, because I'm single and childless - plus I'm from Birmingham in the first place - quite a few people seem to think I have to justify my decision. I don't mean justify it to the management; I mean certain colleagues feel they have the right to expect an explanation. 'Why can't you go? You haven't got any ties here'. 'It's alright for you, you'll just be going home; I'll have to move my whole life'. I'LL have to move my whole life!

I understand people are stressed about this, and of course it's more difficult to relocate if you have to persuade partners and think about taking the kids out of school etc. But that doesn't make it easy for me. I chose to live in London; I built a life here that I don't want to give up, regardless of whether I can more easily than others.

Am I wrong to be pissed off? I'm fed up with justifying myself, and as far as I'm concerned the only answer to 'why don't you want to go?' I should have to give is 'because I don't bloody want to'.

Ivegotyourgoat Fri 20-May-16 14:49:34

Yanbu but what's the situation if you don't move?

Is there competition for other jobs in the company in the original location?

Smurfnoff Fri 20-May-16 14:53:52

The official story is that they will try to redeploy anyone who doesn't want to go and that redundancies will be an absolute last resort. However, what the company thinks is a suitable job may vary from what us employees think!

araiba Fri 20-May-16 14:57:41

easy answer- its birmingham. noone wants to go birmingham surely

Ivegotyourgoat Fri 20-May-16 14:58:03

Ah, I ask because there's something similar going on at my work. Everyone's got their sob story so to speak.

They can't go because they've got kids, elderly parents, they're disabled, don't drive and so on.

Everyone is turning on each other and saying that they are in fact most in need to stay.

But no, it's not very fair on you.

Smurfnoff Fri 20-May-16 15:09:03

A lot of people are hanging around waiting to get made redundant as they've been here 20 + years and are in for a fair whack. I've only been here two and a half, so less of an issue for me.

blueturtle6 Fri 20-May-16 17:13:59

I was in same situation when single ten years ago, mgmt were very confused when I refused to go. Now I would jump at the chance but different circumstances, and glad I stayed in London when I did

wasonthelist Fri 20-May-16 18:03:21

easy answer- its birmingham. noone wants to go birmingham surely
Only if OP wants to seem like an ignorant nasty pillock.

Yanbu op, although I guess it's not a massive surprise people would at least be inclined to ask you if they know where you're from. Automatically expecting you to go (presumably so they don't have to) is U of them.

Smurfnoff Fri 20-May-16 18:45:00

It's not as if my going would mean they don't have to - all our jobs are in scope. Although I can see that if I gota new job in the London office someone might see it as one less job they can apply for.

Unfortunately several people have the same 1970s vision of Birmingham that the earlier poster seems to have, and are using it to 'justify' not going - ie 'even Smurf doesn't want to go and he's from there!' It's nothing to do with that - I wouldn't want to move to New York, Paris or Milan either.

SheHasAWildHeart Fri 20-May-16 19:20:50

Do you work for the BBC per chance?

Our workplace is moving from one part of Birmingham to another and this isn't convenient for all staff so some have taken it as an opportunity to retire early, accept redundancy or just find another job. I'm in the last category but when asked by anyone I just say I haven't decided yet.

Ivegotyourgoat Fri 20-May-16 19:49:45

What is actually wrong with Birmingham? Not directed at you op

GibbousHologram Fri 20-May-16 19:55:52

Invent some far fetched stories and tell different ones to different colleagues, see which one gets out there. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now