Electric scooter & would you report it?

(55 Posts)
BreakfastMuffin Thu 19-May-16 17:58:16

So my ds wants to ride an electric scooter and as I understand it they aren't legal to ride unless you have a private land owner's permission. We have a big farmer's field nearby with footpaths that people use for cycling or walking the dogs ( only very few people, you rarely see someone there) My DH says someone will see him on the scooter and report to the police and be might get a juvenile criminal record. Would you report it?

Darrelrivers Thu 19-May-16 18:01:09

It's irrelevant its a rule not to ride them on there. I wouldn't be encouraging my child to break rules.

LoudBatPerson Thu 19-May-16 18:04:20

So you don't have a problem with your son doing it, although not legal?

Your only concern is if he will be caught or not?

Electric scooters and people (or even pets) trying to use the same small strip of pavement is just asking for someone to end up getting hurt.

There is a reason they are not allowed.

dementedpixie Thu 19-May-16 18:04:30

No I wouldn't report it. My ds has a Swegway and uses it on the pavement at our house (quiet estate away from the main road).

Junosmum Thu 19-May-16 18:04:44

Yes. Especially if I thought it was being ridden dangerously, which most are!

WorraLiberty Thu 19-May-16 18:07:00

I think you should be more concerned about what might happen to him if he injured someone.

SilverBirchWithout Thu 19-May-16 18:09:42

They are not legal for a reason.

WreckingBallsInsideMyHead Thu 19-May-16 18:14:40

Unless he has permission from the farmer yabu to worry about people reporting him, you should be stopping him doing it altogether

BreakfastMuffin Thu 19-May-16 18:19:22

I want to add that they are legal in other countries such as USA, Portugal, Spain, Germany etc.

MrMainwaringsWife Thu 19-May-16 18:23:40

Don't do it
Find someone with a big garden

Sallyingforth Thu 19-May-16 18:33:19

He CANNOT get a criminal record for riding it on the farmer's field because it's a civil matter.
But if he rides into someone and injures them, you'd better be prepared for expensive trouble.

LoudBatPerson Thu 19-May-16 18:44:44

What does the farmer think of your son using one in his field?

BreakfastMuffin Thu 19-May-16 18:51:38

I've no idea who the farmer is and I suspect it's corporately owned. The field is huge, say about 1.5 miles and the paths are not narrow, you could drive a car there easily.

JolieColombe Thu 19-May-16 19:54:20

Lots of things are legal in other countries, doesn't mean they're sensible.

sixinabed Thu 19-May-16 20:12:04

What is an electric scooter?

Is it a low cc motorbike type thing? If so yabvu.

Is it an electric version of a stand on scooter like kids scoot to school on? If so surely a field wouldn't be flat enough to be safe?

Is it one of those weird things you stand on that sort of roll forward, with no handles? If so def not safe for son in a field.

You could find out who owns the field I'm sure.
If it is the first option, then I would report, yes.

If the paths are public rights of way surely criminal law would apply, despite being across private land?

How old is Ds?

TiggyD Thu 19-May-16 20:33:08

Legal bit

It's classed as a moped. You'd need permission from the landowner.

wasonthelist Thu 19-May-16 20:38:32

I wouldn't bother reporting it. The last time I reported a teenage lad who (totally unprovoked) rode his stripped down moped straight at me and shouted "cunt", the Police did everything they could to dissuade me from making an official report.

I insisted, and they made it difficult as they could. They found the lad concerned, but said they could take no action as the PC who stopped him felt the engine and it was cold so they had "no evidence"

So I think your lad can do what he likes with zero sanction - as did the mother of the lad who tried to mow me down - she came to see me to ask why I'd felt it necessary to involve the Police and claimed she didn't even know he had it.

So go right ahead - there's no enforcement, he (and you) can do what you like and stuff the law and mugs like me.

PunkrockerGirl Thu 19-May-16 20:45:03

Would I report it?
Yes I absolutely would.

Gide Thu 19-May-16 20:48:24

I would report. You have no right to use the land as your personal track and so what if it's legal in other countries-how is that even relevant? You are likely to upset dog walkers etc who will have the right to use the footpaths and if you frighten a horse, you could be responsible for some nasty injuries.

BreakfastMuffin Thu 19-May-16 21:15:12

Not sure what they're classed as but it looks like this www.evoscooters.co.uk/electric-folding-scooters/1000w-36v-evo-powerboards-1000s-electric-scooter.html
Just looked at it in more detail and you're allowed to ride an electric bike on the road so might be a better option.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Thu 19-May-16 21:28:44

How old is he??

It's illegal yet here you are trying to find a way out of if?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 19-May-16 21:31:30

Just looked at it in more detail and you're allowed to ride an electric bike on the road so might be a better option.

In the UK only elrctic-assist bikes are road legal - ie if stop pedalling the motor stops - scooters don't have pedals...

Buckinbronco Thu 19-May-16 21:33:00

No I doubt it. Sort of depends on how much it annoyed me and how easy it was to report.

If the police couldn't contact the land owner they wouldn't be able to do anything would they? How else would they know whether permisson had been granted?

Bit rough though, screeching around a muddy field. I can imagine him bare chested with his ribs sticking out

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 19-May-16 21:33:48

This may help

m.askthe.police.uk/content/Q361.htm?viewsinglecontentelementid=36423

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 19-May-16 21:36:29

Id probably report it if it was a frequent occurrence. It would chew the path up which would annoy me if I walked down there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now