To be pro-immigration, but dislike most current pro-immigration propaganda?

(9 Posts)
Sunnsoo Thu 19-May-16 16:43:45

I am supportive of immigration, especially economic immigration, overseas students, and refugees/asylum seekers. I have seen that it has many benefits for the UK and would like it to continue.

However, I am getting a bit embarrassed by the way that the left-wing media (namely The Guardian and The Independent), celebrities, and some people, are fawning over it, as if it is the only thing which will save the UK from total destruction.

Take this piece for example: www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2016/may/18/migration-crisis-get-rational-video

It is ridiculous. It looks like it was made by a GCSE philosophy student, so one-sided and immature. Even worse, two-thirds of the comments under it have been deleted, mine included!

AIBU to think that the left needs to come up with a more intelligent, persuasive, argument, than the one we are currently using? Labeling right-wingers as 'racist' is not the mature way to handle this situation!

Toddzoid Thu 19-May-16 17:16:50

I'm with you. I am bremain however the intense propaganda by the stronger in Britain movement is almost making me find if suspicious and naturally want to rebel... It's everywhere. I even had an advert pop up on YouTube yesterday of WW2 veterans explaining why it's important we remain. I thought that was a bit too much! There's a constant stream of sponsored Facebook and Instagram adverts, leaflets and booklets through the door, adverts on tv and radio. It's almost if they want a Brexit vote.

Toddzoid Thu 19-May-16 17:17:18

*stronger together obv

Backpfeifengesicht Thu 19-May-16 18:53:00

I'm more on the the stay side (but still on the fence) but I do dislike the way the Remain campaign has relied on fear and calling people bigots or racist Little Englanders when they express concerns about unlimited EU immigration. It's so condescending!

scatterolight Thu 19-May-16 19:18:35

Most people would agree that some immigration is fine, they just differ on how many people a year is too few or too many. It is a tiny lunatic fringe who believe in completely open borders with limitless numbers allowed to come from anywhere in the world. Sadly these are the sort of people who write articles for the Guardian or who shout loudest on Facebook.

However the problem with the EU is that it does essentially sign us up to limitless immigration - if you can obtain an EU passport you can live here. Currently around 600k+ people a year move to the UK. Most people would say this is too many and yet the numbers increase every year and will continue to as long as the EU expands and economic disparities exist between EU countries.

It is a shame that the debate is so polarised. In any discussion I think people should be forced to give an ideal number of immigrants per year that they would like. For me it is in the 10s of 1000s. This would seem to me to be a manageable and assimilable number.

I would be surprised if there are many people who think we have too little immigration at the moment. But perhaps someone will be along to say so!

scarednoob Thu 19-May-16 19:34:40

Agree with scatter - immigration is a great thing and an essential thjng. Uncontrolled limitless immigration is not.

Sunnsoo Fri 20-May-16 20:54:47

Thanks for responding. Yeah, I guess I was trying to say that the debate is too 'black & white'. Lots of people turn it into a simple racism argument, which it isn't!

SpringingIntoAction Fri 20-May-16 21:08:21

The REMAIN side know that while the UK is a member of the EU, any of the 550million EU citizens have the right to come to live and work in the UK.

That is an unarguable fact and rather inconvenient when it means that an uncontrolled number of people, currently hundreds of thousands each year, are moving from the wider EU to the UK in search of work. That places pressure on the existing UK services that were designed for a smaller population and have not increased to cope with the influx of EU migrants.

And this situation will continue as, in the future, further poor countries join the EU,and their citizens have the right to come and live and work in the UK - such as 4,29 Croatians will have in 2018 and, in due course, Albanians, Montenegrans, Macedonians, Serbians, Bosnians etc.

So the REMAIn campaign are trying to say what a wonderful thing immigration is (which controlled immigration is) to stifle any discussion on the dismerits of uncontrolled migration into the UK.

wasonthelist Fri 20-May-16 21:12:37

Yanbu op, I'm in favour of free movement but with attention paid to the true environmental and sustainability issues, but my views are too nuanced to permit much debate as a rule.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now