Watching football in the pub...

(15 Posts)
DillyDingDillyDong Thu 19-May-16 11:07:49

I was out last night with DH and a group of friends to watch the football. We knew it would be busy so booked a table and got there early to have food. There is a section in the pub that has more tables and more of a restaurant feel to it and that is where the prebookable tables are. Sat at the table and had perfect vision of the screen, ordered food and drinks and was having a lovely time. The pub began to fill up as kick off got closer and the bar area was really busy.

Just before kick off two men came and stood in front of our table completely blocking the view of the TV. I assumed they would move when the match started so didn't say anything but when they didn't move I asked them if they would mind moving so I could see. They said that they'd been there for ages and now there was no where else to go and that I should stand up. I said that I had booked a table and been there for much longer so that I could see properly and reminded them that this wasn't a standing area. I asked them to move again and they got a bit huffy and one made a remark about being a woman so only want to look at the men running around. At this point DH stood up and asked nicely them to move and they apologised to him and went and stood somewhere else.

I was pretty annoyed but didn't want to let it ruin the evening so let it go and didn't mention it again. I went on Facebook this morning and the pub had posted thanking people for last night. I went to comment saying how nice the food was when I saw this comment:

"Night was alright but you need to do something about the moaning birds in there. Me and my mate are regulars and were moaned at by some lazy cunt who wouldn't move to see the TV but wanted us to. She had to get her fella to back her up in the end but even he knew she was out of order. Get an area for the regulars to go in together to save us being made to move around and having to mix with people who don't even like football."

Looked at the profile picture and it's one of the men who I asked to move. Half tempted to reply to him but not sure if that's just what he wants. I know the owner quite well and I'm sure he will be along soon enough to reply.

Was I being unreasonable asking him to move? I asked him nicely and everything!

wigglesrock Thu 19-May-16 11:15:47

Well he sounds a delight, but unless you were in a completely separate restaurant bit, then I don't think you had any more "right" to see the tv than he did. Lots of bars have tables that you can eat at but if the pub is busy for example a match on the tv or later on in the evening if there's a band etc you can't ask people not to stand in your view line.

He's a dick but I think you're being a little naive, you can't bagsie a view of a tv whilst you're sitting down.

DillyDingDillyDong Thu 19-May-16 11:20:16

Sorry, should have said there are signs up saying "This area is a seated area for those who have pre booked tables."

They were the only people stood in there. We haven't been as often as we used to since DS was born but I've never had to ask someone to move and as regulars I would assume that they knew it was that area. If it happened in the bar area I would have asked them to move but understood if they couldn't and tried to see around them or stand up if necessary.

LurcioAgain Thu 19-May-16 11:23:49

His comment was totally out of order, and I hope that the landlord can delete it, if nothing else for the obscene and misogynistic language.

But I do agree with wiggle that you're perhaps being a bit naive - the UEFA cup final (I presume that's what you were in the pub to watch) is always going to be a huge draw, and the deal is (or at least was when I still had the freedom to go down the pub to watch, prior to having DS) that you get there, specifically to watch the football, nice and early, and set yourselves up with clear sight lines - and if people come and stand in the way, you point out to them immediately that you're intending to watch the football, not wait till kick-off. If I'd been in their position, I'd probably have assumed when you didn't say anything initially that you were just in the pub quite coincidentally to have a meal. It doesn't excuse their horrible behaviour, but I would have been a bit off if I thought I'd found somewhere good to stand, watched as the rest of the area round the TV filled to bursting point, then with a minute or so to kick off, been asked to move.

(I watched on youtube on my mobile! Such is the joy of small children. Gutted by the result.)

LurcioAgain Thu 19-May-16 11:24:43

Sorry - cross post - if the place was otherwise empty then yes, they were just being total shits.

limitedperiodonly Thu 19-May-16 11:24:58

Take no notice of him. You didn't do anything wrong. I imagine the landlord will delete his comment.

booklooker Thu 19-May-16 11:28:49

The fact that he referred to you as a 'bird' says so much.

What an arsehole

DillyDingDillyDong Thu 19-May-16 11:29:34

The owner has commented on it:

"Sorry you seem to have had a bad experience XX, but I think your language is a bit offensive, would you like to edit or delete your comment or shall I? The pub was so busy last night so it must have been hard for everyone to see the screens. A regulars area could be good but we do have the restaurant area for customers to pre book tables and as its not a standing area you would have perfect view of the screens as would everybody else around you. The only "moaning" would be at the TV."

DillyDingDillyDong Thu 19-May-16 11:30:46

Thanks everyone smile

Ugh book, I know. Bird annoys the hell out of me!

Nabootique Thu 19-May-16 11:33:10

Looks like the owner handled it really well. I'm glad.

MiddleClassProblem Thu 19-May-16 11:33:12

The fact that he referred to you as a 'bird' says so much.

And a cunt!

Sandsnake Thu 19-May-16 11:34:47

What a twat (him, not you). If you'd been in just a regular pub and they stood in front of you as it was completely packed then I would say you were being unreasonable and should have stood. However, given the nature of the area you were seated in (complete with sign) you are clearly in the right. And what a total sexist prick. I love football and have come across this sort of attitude before (although not recently so much) and it drives me mad.

I'd be tempted to publicly highlight his comment to the bar on FB (don't use it - presume you can do this?) and ask if this is the sort of person they want as a 'regular'.

leelu66 Thu 19-May-16 11:36:49

What an arsehole. The LL handed it really well.

I wish I could think of a killer (but not rude) response for you!

Elledouble Thu 19-May-16 11:43:50

I was all ready to say YWBU but given that it was an area they weren't supposed to be standing in, definitely not! Last time I went to the pub to watch the football I was 39 weeks pregnant and I couldn't move for people offering me seats, but I couldn't see the screen from any of them!

All bets are off in a normal pub environment when the football is on, but maybe it might have been wise to speak to the staff when people weren't following the rules. Good response from the owner, though. I'd like to find a pub/restaurant where you can book a table in front of the screen!

CocktailQueen Thu 19-May-16 11:50:22

What a sexist twat he was, OP.

LL handled it really well.

YWNBU if the seated area had nobody else standing in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now