To think this is not an acceptable thing to say to a child?

(35 Posts)
blondieblondie Wed 18-May-16 22:14:04

"Wipe that smirk off your face or I'll wipe it off for you?"

A school staff member to a child, basically over an uneaten lunch.

Skrewt Wed 18-May-16 22:15:51

This was a regular comment from my headmaster at school. Which absolutely doesn't make it right.

FutureGadgetsLab Wed 18-May-16 22:16:39

Not acceptable and I would be complaining.

timelytess Wed 18-May-16 22:17:18

Absolutely unacceptable.

Arfarfanarf Wed 18-May-16 22:18:30

I consider that completely unacceptable and i would want a meeting with the head to tell me exactly how that person planned to wipe the smirk off.

But in the interests of fairness i must say that that was said to me a LOT when i was a child and what followed was slaps across my face or hits to my body so i may see it differently to others so i might be being unreasonable to see it as threatening.

Sighing Wed 18-May-16 22:19:04

No. That's a threat as far as my upbringing went sad

cheapandcheerful Wed 18-May-16 22:21:36

I agree that it's not an ideal thing to say but I am a teacher and sometimes say things to children that could either be taken the wrong way or that I instantly regret.

And smirks give me the rage too.

Ilovewillow Wed 18-May-16 22:21:48

Completely unacceptable !

JayDot500 Wed 18-May-16 22:24:21

Meh, it's not so bad (could be my inner London schooling talking, but I've heard worse and shrugged it off)

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 18-May-16 22:24:37

Totally unacceptable. My SIL tells her children to "shut up, you're doing my head in" angry I can't stand hearing people speaking to children so viciously.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 18-May-16 22:24:56

I work in a school; it's a shocking comment to make to a child within that setting from an adult supposed to be a caring individual .

inlovewithhubby Wed 18-May-16 22:25:24

Yep, old school and wrong on any level, but in relation to eating lunch? Why on earth would you threaten a child into eating? I would definitely be complaining or, if you're staff rather than parent, raising with head.

GreatFuckability Wed 18-May-16 22:26:36

Totally unacceptable. My SIL tells her children to "shut up, you're doing my head in" angry I can't stand hearing people speaking to children so viciously.

are you married to my brother? grin

JonSnowsBeardClippings Wed 18-May-16 22:28:17

That's a threat to give the child a smack in the face. She must not have meant it that way but that's what the expression means. Not ok.

blondieblondie Wed 18-May-16 22:28:56

Thanks for the replies. Im not really sure how I can go about proving it. It's not something I've ever said to my child, or heard him say, so I believe very much that it was said, but I imagine it will be denied

Vickyyyy Wed 18-May-16 22:30:27

I heard this so much during my school days. From teachers to parents to grandparents to friends..everyone spoke like this.

Everythings different these days though and I know I wouldn't be impressed if someone said it to one of my kids..

blondieblondie Wed 18-May-16 22:33:19

She complained to the head that he hadn't eaten his lunch and rarely does, even though he and another staff member pointed out that he regularly has a packed lunch instead of school meal. Then once the debate about that was over, she walked passed later and he was laughing with a friend and that was her comment to him. Which was followed by telling him his attitude stinks when he said wasn't laughing at her, or being cheeky to her

facebookrecruit Wed 18-May-16 22:33:25

I'm not very rational when it comes to my DDs so id be demanding an explanation from the person who said it and making it clear in no uncertain terms that I'd rip their head off confused

GiraffesCantDoMentalArithmetic Wed 18-May-16 22:34:21

I take it as your DC is at primary school OP? Only I say similar (and worse!) to my secondary pupils, but they're of an age to recognise banter.

228agreenend Wed 18-May-16 22:39:29

Although it isn't the right thing to say, it was proberly just a flippant remark, and she probably didn't mean anything by it.

manicinsomniac Wed 18-May-16 22:41:37

I agree with Giraffes that banter between pupils and staff is fine. But I don't like this comment. It's too realistic and plausible to be banter. Adults do smack children so instead of sounding sarcastic or jokey, it sounds threatening.

My Year 4 teacher used to tell us she'd pull our arms off and hit us with the soggy ends. That was banter because it couldn't happen. It's very different to the OP's example, imo.

WorraLiberty Wed 18-May-16 22:45:20

I couldn't get fussed about it to be honest. Smirking kids make me angry anyway, so if I was a teacher faced with a kid smirking at me, I would find a suitable punishment to wipe the smirk off IYSWIM.

What was he laughing with his friend about?

HouseOfBiscuits Wed 18-May-16 22:47:26

It's unacceptable.

serin Wed 18-May-16 22:58:53

If someone said this to one of our DC's I would wonder what on earth they had done to provoke such a response.

Agree it's not a great thing to say.

MadamDeathstare Wed 18-May-16 23:02:41

It might not have been a physical threat. Giving lines or extra homework would also 'wipe the smirk' off someone's face.

I'm sorry that happened to your child though. It's never very nice to be told off for something you didn't do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now