to go on holiday instead?

(12 Posts)
eurotrash Wed 18-May-16 19:41:59

Ds5 is moving from private to state school in September. Bit of a bolt out of the blue but the right decision but we have an abroad holiday booked for the last 2 weeks of state school term (after private school finishes).

New school do year move up for the last two weeks of term so all the new year 1s will move into the classroom ahead of September and start the autumn term then. Ds has been welcomed to attend for those 2 weeks to get integrated....

Aibu to go on holiday even though I know it's probably for the best that he does those 2 weeks and integrates early?

My main worry (apart from losing holiday!) is that ds is going to get even more upset about moving schools when he finishes term, tired and fraught and then has to join a new school for 2 weeks when his other friends are off AND he's excited for our holiday and will be devastated if we cancel.....

What would you do...???

attheendoftheday Wed 18-May-16 19:45:25

I'd go on holiday. I don't think it's like missing the start of the year in September.

IpreferToblerone Wed 18-May-16 19:45:30

Go on holiday! He'll soon make new friends at the start of a new term.

whois Wed 18-May-16 20:39:05

Holiday. Defo holiday, nice summer fun time then all excited for new school year and a new school after the memory of the last school year has faded.

Junosmum Wed 18-May-16 20:54:32

Holiday!

eurotrash Wed 18-May-16 22:34:48

Phew!!!!

pictish Wed 18-May-16 22:39:27

Another one saying holiday here!

Brokenbiscuit Wed 18-May-16 22:42:03

I'd say go on holiday too. He'll be just fine, kids adapt very quickly!

Enjoy your break!

Pippa12 Wed 18-May-16 22:44:20

100% holiday! Nothing to be gained in the long term by cancelling. Enjoy!

Woodhill Thu 19-May-16 08:26:33

Go on holiday, it will be fine

Creampastry Thu 19-May-16 08:46:08

Holiday! Kids age 5 will have forgotten everything from July when they go back in September anyway.

sockrage Thu 19-May-16 08:48:48

Holiday.
Schools are used to transitioning children at any time of year. September will be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now