To be a bit miffed that it was a group text and I didn't realise!

(12 Posts)
dreamerlemur Wed 18-May-16 12:10:58

A friend invited me to a play centre after school yesterday. I thought I was the only one to get the text and was looking forward to catching up with said friend however when I arrived there were eight other people around a table as she had sent the text to eight others as well! AIBU to be a bit miffed that she didn't make it clear that it wasn't just us two meeting for a coffee? I haven't lost sleep over this but just wondering what others think about this?

BeYourselfUnlessUCanBeAUnicorn Wed 18-May-16 12:13:16

YABU, I don't see the big deal. It's just crossed wires. How was the text worded?

Pootles2010 Wed 18-May-16 12:14:45

I agree a bit, but its not a big deal. I'd have started it something like 'hi ladies, shall we all meet up....' blah blah blah. Although I do realize its not the done thing to say 'ladies' on MN blush

dreamerlemur Wed 18-May-16 12:18:01

The text was as if talking just to me , something like' Do you fancy meeting at the play centre after school?'. Plain and simple.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Wed 18-May-16 12:21:29

This would annoy me a bit dream, though it seems not to bother others. I have a friend who would regularly do it, and she got to be Queen Bee with her followers! It would be less annoying if the plan was transparent. Now DD is grown, I just meet friend on a one to one basis, which works better for me.

BeYourselfUnlessUCanBeAUnicorn Wed 18-May-16 12:22:53

Ok, that does sound like it is just aimed at you so yes, it is annoying. If I sent a group message I make it clear it isn't just going to on person. Did you know the others?

RobinsAreTerritorialFuckers Wed 18-May-16 12:25:53

I might have been disappointed, but not miffed. In some circles it's more usual to do what she did, in others less - I would just assume she miscommunicated?

That said, I am careful about this now, as I have a friend who really hates being faced with unexpected new people, and I appreciated her letting me know that. So maybe your friend just needs you to say, in a nice way, that you had thought it was just you and her.

ThinkPinkStink Wed 18-May-16 12:26:58

Like Pootles if I'm sending a group text I make it clear by starting with 'Hi guys,' or 'Hi all,' or whatever.

I guess technically you're being a bit unreasonable, but I'd feel the same.

thelittleredhen Wed 18-May-16 12:37:15

YANBU Group text messages should always start with "Sorry for the group text..."

Bluebolt Wed 18-May-16 13:16:26

The original text may of just been for you and once you agreed she then went onto invite others knowing she would definitely be there. I do like knowing as not to keen when groups are large.

dreamerlemur Wed 18-May-16 14:11:58

No I did not really know the others other than just passing at school gates. I am not really a lover of 'groups' especially impromptu meetings! It turned out as having polite conversation with lots of people , to me not the same as catching up with a friend. If I'd have known it was a group I probably would not have gone.

dreamerlemur Wed 18-May-16 14:25:32

Ha ha ! I had a panic moment when I got into the play centre and saw the group of parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now