to be feeling slightly exasperated with these work conditions?

(8 Posts)
FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Tue 17-May-16 19:05:10

Ok, I know I probably am BU because its the nature of the business and the industry I work in but....

I work in catering and I currently work 9hr shifts. I get a 15 minute break and the rest of the time I am standing up on my feet, walking back and forth, carrying thing etc.

The bosses are talking about extending our opening hours for the upcoming summer months and the thought of being stood up for several hours more per day is a bit soul destroying. It wouldn't be quite as bad if we got longer breaks or more money (I get NMW, or NLW as it supposedly now) but I'm just getting tired of coming home at the end of the day beyond exhausted. I'm trying to lose weight but I have no energy at the end of the day for exercise. I start so early I can't exercise before work and after I'm just too tired.

I know I'm whinging and I should be grateful to have a job that fits around my studies but aibu to just be tired of being tired?

SouperSal Tue 17-May-16 19:07:49

You're legally entitled to a 20 minute break, so start there.

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Tue 17-May-16 19:12:36

I think it doesn't help that I'm afraid to say anything in case I get fired confused

At this time of year there are so many people looking for jobs that they could very easily replace me!

19lottie82 Tue 17-May-16 19:18:49

Yes, as SS said, you are legally entitled to a 20 minute break.

I wouldn't worry too much about additional exercise as it sounds like your job IS exercise in its self!

I worked long hours in pubs when I was a student and it was very tiring.

Can you not look for something else that isn't quite as bad? 6 hour shifts waitressing, for example? If you find the right type of restaurant then the NLW will be bumped up by tips.

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Tue 17-May-16 20:21:06

I do get tips where I work at the moment but its not a lot.

I think part of the problem is trying to find work that isn't seasonal - my current job isnt but the majority of catering jobs are which makes me reluctant to leave.

That said, I'm retraining at the moment to try and get out of the industry completely, trouble is I have 0% experience in the new field so its hard to make the move.

maggiethemagpie Wed 18-May-16 21:01:52

I once did a chambermaiding job as a student, rushing round making beds all day meant I lost 7lbs in four weeks (before I quit). Are you sure you need more exercise sounds to me like you're getting plenty.

wasonthelist Wed 18-May-16 21:24:33

OP how long have you worked there? If more than 2 years, they can't legally fire you for insisting you get a proper (legal) break. It sounds like a nightmare to me though.

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Thu 19-May-16 13:22:22

Maggie, I don't know if its just that I'm eating too much when I'm not at work but I must need more exercise because I haven't lost a pound sad. I hardly eat at all at work as I just don't have the time, I barely have time to shove a sandwich or some soup down & go to the loo before my break is over!

I've only worked there for 3 months so still got ages to go before 2 years are up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now