Do I go with DP or not- dying dog.

(14 Posts)
coralpig Tue 17-May-16 18:09:13

DP's beautiful family dog is being put down tomorrow because of cancer. I have work and a dentist appointment (fillings not a checkup) and an almost empty bank account. I can put it on my credit card however. It's a 7 hour round trip and he's leaving in the next hour probably back tomorrow night. I need to decide whether to go with him. As soon as I asked him if he wants me to go with him he said no I'd rather go alone then half an hour later said that, as I also really liked the dog, I was welcome to come too.

Do I go? I want to support him and I think I'd be wracked with guilt if I didn't but I know I can't afford the time or the money if I am honest.

WhatamessIgotinto Tue 17-May-16 18:10:51

I'd go and put it on my credit card. I'm sure others will tell you different but I'm so glad I was with my dog at the end of his life. He needed to know I was there and he was loved.

Gide Tue 17-May-16 18:12:07

If it's his family dog, maybe he wants time with the parents to reminisce and you don't necessarily need to go. It's a very emotional time. {{hugs}}

Gide Tue 17-May-16 18:13:03

I get the impression it's not the OP's family dog, but rather the DP's family dog?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 17-May-16 18:13:21

Very tricky. Watching a beloved dog being put to sleep was just about one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do and I would welcome support from a love done but if things are tricky for you money-wise I can understand your dilemma. His answers don't help either do they? I'd probably go because, as you say I'd be wracked with guilt if I didn't.

AmserGwin Tue 17-May-16 18:14:29

Off the point but why is it taking 7 hours? That can't be the nearest vet surely? It doesn't sound like DP needs you to be there, but you could go if you like. I would probably just say goodbye to him at home and let DP take him to be honest. He won't be on his own

AmserGwin Tue 17-May-16 18:16:22

Ah ok just realised it's his family's dog, and he's travelling to see them and dog. Ignore that part sorry

Doobydoo Tue 17-May-16 18:16:26

Go

pandarific Tue 17-May-16 18:20:45

Ah, it's his family's dog. I don't think you should on balance then. You'll really struggle to go. I would just make sure to call him a few times throughout the journey, have something lovely cooked for him when he comes back, and generally be very loving toward him. You can still support him without going, I think.

gardenangels Wed 18-May-16 20:03:48

I think your DP sounds really kind. To care so much about his dog is really lovely. Hope everyone is ok.

whois Wed 18-May-16 20:27:27

No. I wouldn't miss a dentist appointment and spend money I don't have on going to help an adult partner take their dog to the vets to be PTS.

I would however, make sure I did something nice with them on the evening/weekend and was there for them via phone.

PirateFairy45 Wed 18-May-16 21:05:45

Did you go?

coralpig Thu 19-May-16 17:13:54

Yes I went and it was 100% the right thing to do. Thanks for the advice

TruJay Thu 19-May-16 18:12:28

That was so lovely of you to support him coral we had to suddenly have our beautiful Alsatian put to sleep last August and we were all devastated, still are. He really was the grandest dog I've ever known.
My mum and I went together as there was no way I wasn't going to be there in his final moments, it was horrible yet wonderful at the same time, to see the relief come over his gorgeous face when he was free of pain was when we knew it was the right thing to do.
I hope you are all ok, some people don't get it but our grand lad was a family member and he's left a huge hole in our lives (literally-he was huge haha)

Sorry I went off on a tangent there but I loved that pooch so much

flowers for you all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now