AIBU to be irritated with my neighbour?

(22 Posts)
Twink Sun 15-May-16 17:46:51

Who, without mentioning the plan, painted his side of our boundary fence (for which I'm responsible) so badly that I now have huge streaks of cream paint down my side? 😡

teafortoads Sun 15-May-16 17:51:57

Oh no! You are not being unreasonable at all. Has it dribbled over to your side? Can you ask him to paint your side too or would he just wreak the whole fence? Between my own experiences and those of Mumsnetters I am really starting to despise neighbours and realise how lucky I was to live on a narrow boat for 10 years. Oh to untie a rope and sail away from the nuisance/scum/noise/butchered fences....

acasualobserver Sun 15-May-16 17:52:28

Fair enough to be annoyed by that. Ask him to remove the paint from your side.

Floralnomad Sun 15-May-16 17:55:26

YANBU , a few years back our neighbour did the same to our Fence ( not cream) but used one of those paint sprayers and not only was my side of the fence speckled so were plants ,the patio and my rabbits hutch

DontFeedTheDailyFail Sun 15-May-16 17:58:55

Have you got a decent hose pipe? You could try jetting it to remove or dilute whats there.

He might get streaks too - but he could touch his side up easily. It may be worth explaining to him whats happened and why you're having to do this, so things don't escalate. You never know he might help.

Alternatively a paint thinner and scrubbing brush/ old nail brush would work well.

Billben Sun 15-May-16 18:25:32

I would be livid and he would be buying me new fence panels. I know it might sound extreme but I hate people who take it on themselves to ruin something that belongs to me. I know I would not be able to live with the streaks on my side and I never liked painted fences so the only option remaining would be new fence panels. And no, I wouldn't plant things in front of the fence either to eventually hide the streaks. Why should I?

MintJulip Sun 15-May-16 18:28:30

criminal damage if its your fence, he has to ask you first.

DeputyPecksBentBeak Sun 15-May-16 18:42:20

Our neighbours were so liberal with their paint they flecked it all over our brickwork, window frames and windows. Funnily enough when they did a thorough touch up the next year they managed to avoid doing getting it over our brand new double glazing, but did manage to get three huge drops (the only drops) right on to our garden chairs which were folded and resting against the fence.

Still, these were the same people who phoned our letting agent to say we had rubbish in the garden (we didn't), phoned social services because our children scream all day (they don't) and threatened me and my husband and my two year old DS. So the fence seems like small fry in comparison. I didn't complain to them at the time (wanted to keep neighbourly peace) and I really wish I had because they ended up being complete cunts. I've moved and my life feels amazing now!

IDontBelieveAnything Sun 15-May-16 18:44:40

You say that you are responsible for the fence which I presume means you own the fence, is that right? If so YANBU and it would irritate me too. angry angry Unfortunately it's not uncommon for people to think they have the right to paint their neighbours property if it faces their garden.

I'd speak to him about it. There is no need to be confrontentional as it might have been a genuine misunderstanding on his part and he might, hopefully, be apologetic. If he is arse'y then feel free to have a moan at him and ask him how he is going to repair the damage.

Jet washing might work wonders but it won't be much help if there are plants growing up the fence. Cream is a weird colour to choose. confused. It's going to look terrible n about a weeks time. I wouldn't suggest painting over it as it will just commit you to repainting it every year or so. I'd try a stain first.

BTW I had this exact thing happen to me except the paint was green. The stupid Neighbour used a spray gun and got it all over my light patio and greenhouse. I was really polite when I spoke to him but he was shirty with me shock saying that he could paint his side of the fence whatever colour he wanted. I repeated myself and stayed calm. He came around later in the evening and couldn't have been more apologetic - I'm pretty sure his wife and adult lawyer son had bollocked him.

Twink Sun 15-May-16 18:50:37

Yes it is my fence. The irony is that when we looked closely at it just now, noticed that the bottoms of the panels have rotted so we'll be replacing them!

Thanks all for reassuring me that I'm not overreacting!

newpup Sun 15-May-16 18:51:43

I feel for you! Many years ago in a previous house, our neighbours who were generally lovely did the same. They spray painted their side of the fence and it dripped through, not only that they did it when my washing was on the line. All my new bedlinen was speckled with paint! I did go around and let them know but they just laughed and looked sheepish. I had expected them to offer to pay for new bedlinen, which is what I would do or at least take a bottle of wine around as a sorry but no just giggles. The only problem we ever encountered with them thankfully!

8misskitty8 Sun 15-May-16 18:52:38

That happened to us last year.
We put up a fence at the bottom of our garden in front of the one already there that belonged to the neighbour who's garden backed onto ours. We put one up as his was falling apart. He has out of control bushes that hang over too which annoyed me.His garden is on an upward hill as our house sits at the top of a hill so if he was in his garden he used to come to the top of his garden and could see into ours. Our new fence stopped this.
I caught him actually hanging over his fence to reach mine and paint it green, causing drips to go all over our side.

GinnyMcGinFace Sun 15-May-16 18:53:57

Does he realise what he's done? Looking at it from his point of view, maybe he thinks he's done a good thing, maintaining his fence without bothering you to do it? Is it possible that he can be blissfully unaware of your streaks?

ToadsforJustice Sun 15-May-16 19:07:25

It's criminal damage if the paint cannot be removed from either side. He will have to replace the fence at his expense and only paint the side facing him with your consent.

LouBlue1507 Sun 15-May-16 19:17:33

'criminal damage'?! It's a bit of blooming paint! What you going to do call the police? "My neighbour has painted my fence and there's speckles on my side!"
Just ask him to either paint your side or remove the speckles!

ToadsforJustice Sun 15-May-16 19:20:29

Criminal damage - "A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another intending to destroy or damage any such property or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged shall be guilty of an offence."

I believe the neighbour has "damaged" her fence by painting it without her consent.

ToadsforJustice Sun 15-May-16 19:24:58

I'm a bit angry about fences ever since my neighbour not only painted our fence (both sides) without my permission, he also tied his washing line to it! Rant over.

WalkingBlind Sun 15-May-16 20:00:40

Why do people think a fence is jointly owned confused Me and my neighbour are both council and still ask each other if we want to amend the fence, however the other side won't speak to me so I would ring the council for written permission rather than them (they own their house but it isn't fenced off, my garden fence is just a one-sided border for them)

ScarletForYa Sun 15-May-16 20:11:10

He probably doesn't realise you own the fence. Tell him.

MrsFrankRicard Sun 15-May-16 21:00:29

This happened to us too and it was black fence paint, lots of drips all over our side, not sure who the fence belongs to but I think it is them. I repainted our side and didn't mention it to them, I had to be very careful not to drip onto their side which could cause a never ending fence paint battle grin. I am sure our neighbours didn't realise the mess on our side.

IDontBelieveAnything Sun 15-May-16 21:18:07

MrsFrank. shock You do realize that what you call 'your side' is still owned by your neighbor. Hopefully the fact they didn't say anything means they didn't mind.

Autumnchill Sun 15-May-16 21:31:53

It is a crime:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/youve-committed-fence-woman-criminal-2118880

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now