to wonder what the point of a bridal shower is?

(6 Posts)
FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Sat 14-May-16 21:45:28

Just that really!

It does just seem like an excuse to have another party/get presents - but you do that at the wedding surely?

Aibu to wonder why anyone bothers with a bridal shower?

PurpleDaisies Sat 14-May-16 21:46:46

Do people do this? I've never been to one or known anyone that's done one. Is it American?

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Sat 14-May-16 21:48:27

It does seem more of an American thing but I'm sure some people do it here too!

steff13 Sat 14-May-16 21:49:50

It's to shower the bride with items she'll need to make a home with her husband. It's been a "thing" here in the US for many, many years. In fact, I believe they refer to a bridal shower in the original Father of the Bride movie, which was made in 1950.

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Sat 14-May-16 21:51:56

But I thought the purpose of the wedding gifts was to set the bride and groom up with all the stuff they need for a home steff? Hence all the jokes about mutiple toasters etc. Why do both?

SenecaFalls Sun 15-May-16 12:56:55

You don't have to give more than one gift. Showers often have a theme and the presents can be inexpensive so some people will then also give a another wedding gift. If I do give a big gift at a shower, I don't give another gift.

Customs are different in different countries. For example, in the US, no one has a second reception with a B-list guest list of people not invited to the main event; that would be considered very rude.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now