to wonder if its possible to get period 'symptoms' without the periods? Should I be concerned?

(9 Posts)
FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Sat 14-May-16 19:36:07

I have a mirena coil, had one before and have had this one about 2yrs at this point.

I haven't had periods at all since having the coil but I have had period 'symptoms' at times and I was wondering if it was due to the coil or if it was something entirely different?

I have at times had really bad period type cramps, not on a regular monthly basis, sometimes many within a few days, sometimes nothing for a few weeks. I've also had some real emotional outbursts, similar to PMT that I used to get when I had periods but again not on a regular basis.

TMI alert

My Dp is quite..well endowed..and I sometimes find that I am in a lot of pain after DTD. Aibu to think this is something to do with the coil or is it more likely unconnected and something I should be concerned about?

I haven't seen a GP etc about it as I'm pretty embarrassed about any sort of gynae issues and really don't want to see them if its just me being paranoid and the coil is to blame!

I also had a smear in 2013 that was moderately abnormal although they decided not to give me any treatment in the end and I haven't heard anything since - never got the results back from my last smear confused but I just assumed that since they never got in touch with me everything was fine.

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Sat 14-May-16 21:34:50

Anyone know? Or experienced similar?

AgeingArtemis Sat 14-May-16 21:39:48

I'm on the cerelle pill and my periods because very rare/irregular and now seem to have totally stopped.

On occasion I do get period symptoms (but more mild than they would be in realality) and am convinced I'm going to come on- but I don't.

No clue if it's normal though, or if it's psychological or physical

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Sat 14-May-16 21:46:46

I never really feel like I'm going to come on though although its been so long I wouldn't even remember what that feels like I just get the pain and the moodiness confused

nonladyofleisure Sat 14-May-16 22:04:03

I haven't had periods in years due to injection but I definitely get pms... Never had period pains so can't comment there.

I would request another smear just to be on safe side and to stop your worry! smile

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Sat 14-May-16 23:04:06

Can you still request smears? I thought they usually say no if you ask?

Osirus Sat 14-May-16 23:06:51

You should chase up your results that you never received.

BoopTheSnoot Sun 15-May-16 00:05:28

Any regular pain after sex should be brought up with GP just to be on the safe side.
As a side note, my sister also had the mirena coil and had symptoms similar to yours. On investigation, they found that it had been slightly dislodged and the cramping was due to the coil being wrongly positioned. Very easily corrected and no problems since.
But always better to be safe than sorry smile

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Sun 15-May-16 20:45:08

Hmm..interesting.

I don't always get the pain after DTD but when I do its baaaad sad

I did chase them after the follow up smear but they never rang me back! The results seemed to have gone walkabout.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now