To think that picking your teeth should only be conducted in private?

(12 Posts)
Motherfuckers Sat 14-May-16 02:34:44

My husband is currently sitting next to me picking his teeth with his fingernails. This has got to be the most disgusting thing. His whole family does it, noisily and obviously. AIBU in thinking that this is particularly gross and should only be done in private? (and with floss not fingers/toothpicks)

alwaysinamuddle Sat 14-May-16 03:26:08

I'm one of those who probably does this without even realising -knows full well they're doing it and tries to be discreet-

If it's noisy though, then that's another matter. If there's a bit you just can't reach then go off to the bathroom and get the little blighter.

herecomethepotatoes Sat 14-May-16 05:03:07

In a restaurant or if you have 'company', yes. Excuse yourself and go to the loo, but I'd say he is doing it in private.

wickedlazy Sat 14-May-16 05:13:16

In public, no I wouldn't. At home, dp and I both do. Surely it's better someone picking their teeth than sitting with shreds of food in their mouth (boke). Would you prefer if he used toothpicks or floss? (I don't think brushing them after every single you eat would be good for them).

Motherfuckers Sat 14-May-16 05:13:20

Noooooo. He is in front of me. Funnily enough I read both the 'first fart in front of boyfriend' and 'mummy maintenance' hmm threads and thought both the OPs were really uptight and a bit odd, but picking your teeth....? Ewwww

wickedlazy Sat 14-May-16 05:15:07

I know you said you don't like toothpicks, but he might not like floss. He might not be so noisy with a toothpick.

Motherfuckers Sat 14-May-16 05:18:57

He should floss. He sits picking for aaaaaaaages. 20 seconds with a length of floss would sort it right out.

nomoreintimacyever Sat 14-May-16 06:20:21

YANBU - my H does this too and I hate it. He also picks his nose, farts and burps.

ROMANCE is dead.

Flumplet Sat 14-May-16 06:56:17

My boss has braces and spends hours after food noisily SLURPING and SUCKING her fucking braces and teeth to get bits of food out. Drives me round the twist.

FakaP Sat 14-May-16 07:10:34

Teeth picking is one of the annoying habits of the bloke sitting next to me at work, he folds a post-it note in half and uses that to pick and prod after everything he eats, it's disgusting.

Add in slurping, sloppy porridge eating, knuckle cracking, being constantly late arriving and early leaving amongst other traits he is lucky I haven't killed him... yet...

Beepbopboop Sat 14-May-16 07:22:17

Yanbu!
Tell him to fuck off and go brush/floss his teeth like a normal person.

TooGood2BeFalse Sat 14-May-16 08:09:56

Here in Cyprus it's so common that toothpicks are provided on tables in restaurants shock it still disgusts me after 9 years here and I hate it! YANBU!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now