About primary school 100% attendance awards.

(227 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Fri 13-May-16 19:57:02

Ds is in reception.
We have had the newsletter this week informing us that there will be treats given at the end of term in July for all pupils who have had a 100% attendance this year.

It is not a school with an attendance problem as far as I know and they give out awards for each year group once a month for various things but this irks me.

Illness etc are completely out of the hands of small children. For instance DS had an op last year. Luckily it was on the thurs as he broke up for Oct half term on the Friday so only ended up missing two days (which we told the school about as soon as we knew) and there are a couple of similar scenarios in his year.

So these children won't get a 'treat' as due to circs beyond their control they were off. These are reception aged children how can you make them understand that so and so gets a treat but you had to have an op so you dont get one...I mean you cant schedule surgery around the school holidays.

Sorry bit of a rant there, but these awards are pointless right?

GardeningWithDynamite Fri 13-May-16 20:15:12

Yep. Hate these "awards". Well done for being healthy and having parents who are motivated to take you into school every day! Unfortunately it's something that the school can tell Ofsted they're doing to improve attendance. Of course, if you have a day off in September or even arrive late then that's all your "motivation" gone for the rest of the school year.

Seriously - reward them for achieving something, working hard, being kind or whatever as long as it's something within their control.

DD's school does a bronze certificate for 1 term attendance, silver for 2 terms and a book token for all 3 terms in a year 100% attendance. So far she's had chicken pox in reception and then d+v for 2 days, was sick once in y1 so missed a day then so no awards (although technically she's done 3 terms without absence, just they weren't in the same school year - nothing for that though!).

So far she's been in every day this year, but if she makes it to the end of the year without being ill I'm tempted to send the "reward" back. I'm not having her thinking that she's doing something wrong by being ill.

Apparently we shouldn't focus on the people who can't get the award (by being ill, having a medical condition that means missing school or just having appointments), we should focus on the ones who can achieve it hmm

NeedACleverNN Fri 13-May-16 20:18:07

It's a perfect excuse for parents to send their ill child into school and encourage the spread of sickness.

Yanbu

MissBattleaxe Fri 13-May-16 20:21:40

I agree. It's like saying well done for being healthy. But if you ask me it sends the wrong message. Kids who have been ill feel excluded when it's not their fault.

TheSuspiciousMsWhicher Fri 13-May-16 20:23:31

I think they're ridiculous.

DD has never once been late and she attends every single day unless she is ill. Unfortunately, earlier this year she has a serious asthma attack and ended up in hospital on a nebuliser, missing 3 days of school. So she won't be eligible for a certificate and a treat from school this year. hmm What bollocks.

whatamess0815 Fri 13-May-16 20:25:06

hate them too. our school does them as well. DD is s severely disabled and never gets an award as hospital appointment get in the way.

Ilovewillow Fri 13-May-16 20:26:07

Our infant did a certificate termly for over 95% and then an annual one for over 95% which then allows for a certain level of sickness. They also give out certificates for a variety of other achievements. I don't have a particularly issue with this.

CalleighDoodle Fri 13-May-16 20:26:25

My ds has asthma and we have spent the past two winters with a few days in hospital. He also gets far too sick for preschool frequently. He wont be getting an attendance prize due to his health ao indonthink it is unfair also and not the fact i book long weekends and holidays without much thought

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 13-May-16 20:26:28

They make me bloody mad. Even if absences are due to parents being lackadaisical and CBA getting up and taking them to school. That's not the fault of the child. I mean they can hardly take themselves to school, can they.
And it's certainly not the.child's fault if they get sick.

tethersend Fri 13-May-16 20:26:49

YANBU.

Since parental income has a much greater impact on educational outcomes, why not just go the whole hog and reward children whose parents earn over £40,000?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 13-May-16 20:27:07

It's also disablist.

MadamDeathstare Fri 13-May-16 20:28:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Fri 13-May-16 20:30:51

It's disablist and vile

Mumoftwoyoungkids Fri 13-May-16 20:33:52

Not a fan. (And my Dd would be on course to get one.)

(I think.)

mrselizabethdarcy Fri 13-May-16 20:35:35

I hate this too. DS school publishes the names / gives awards etc of all the 100% attendees. I tell ds that they should rename it the 100% germ spreaders award.

zzzzz Fri 13-May-16 20:40:11

It's not going to change until children start sending them back

elephantoverthehill Fri 13-May-16 20:42:40

It's just another method of reward. Schools get slammed if all the parents hear about is the negative stuff. G&T and SEN students get all the extra trips, attendance, kindness, sporting and helpfulness allow other pupils to be rewarded. Believe it or not every teacher tries to find something positive in every pupil and reward them for that quality. Attendance is an easy one.

tethersend Fri 13-May-16 20:44:38

I'd rather reward children for something they are actually in control of.

Statelychangers Fri 13-May-16 20:47:14

Pointless and upsetting....shall we send them in with V&D to get some sweets at the end of the year?

Beepbopboop Fri 13-May-16 20:48:09

Yanbu. Completely wrong.
Oh well done you for being healthy, or still coming in when sick and infecting everyone else. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
I never ever had 100% attendance at school and missed out on all the trips. sad

zzzzz Fri 13-May-16 20:48:35

G&T and SEN students get all the extra trips, attendance, kindness, sporting and helpfulness allow other pupils to be rewarded

shock you can't possibly believe that this? shock. Would you think it was fine if only boys were given awards for attendance? Or only Caucasians? Or only Christians? Or those with nc accents?

WAKE UP.

Originalfoogirl Fri 13-May-16 20:50:48

They do seem pointless, I don't know if our school does them or not but attendance is noted on school reports. Despite numerous hospital and therapy appointments our daughter has, they still count her attendance as 100%

If the school deducted attendance points for those I'd go nuts at them.

chickendrizzlecake Fri 13-May-16 20:57:03

Our school has just announced that they will be doing prizes for 100% attendance too. I've just sent an email to the head outlining all the reasons I think it is a really stupid idea. I suggest you do the same - they won't know just how unpopular with parents it is if we don't tell them!

MrsBobDylan Fri 13-May-16 20:58:48

Yeah elephant attendance awards are 'easy' they just require a willingness to discrimate against children who are ill.

Also, SEN children getting extra school trips? In who's world is that happening?

elephantoverthehill Fri 13-May-16 21:01:22

zzzzz Yes I do believe this because I try to award every pupil I teach for something. I even give points for uniform and having the right equipment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now