To feel like vomiting?

(6 Posts)
runnerselbow Thu 12-May-16 21:57:26

Apologies in advance, as it's nothing dramatic and I don't think warrants the way I'm feeling. But recently moved to a new city, work at home, been here a couple of months and suddenly feeling extremely lonely and depressed. Am hoping to start a masters in the autumn but suddenly feel unable to make applications. Have looked into a few meet up groups etc, and somehow, after a few weeks of really little interaction, besides some volunteering a couple of mornings a week, I feel too apprehensive to go. Have moved from somewhere quite different, and suddenly feel overwhelmed and anxious by the prospect of settling in somewhere new. I understand this isn't anywhere near the worst problem in the world by a very wide margin, but feel myself becoming down and suddenly feel like I don't want to get out of bed in the morning. My productivity has slipped massively and I'm increasingly freaking out about finances. Have no-one nearby or otherwise to talk to about how I'm feeling and feel like I need a kick up the arse. Any thoughts? I'm being pathetic aren't I?

ephemeralfairy Thu 12-May-16 22:13:40

No you're not being pathetic at all. I am in your position and I feel just as you do. I live with my partner and I still feel pretty low, I can only imagine how lonely I'd feel if I was on my own.
I think people underestimate how hard it is to make new friends as an adult, especially if you're not in the workplace.
I think the fact that you're volunteering is very positive. Do you think you could go to one of the meet up groups just for half and hour, and then leave if you're not comfortable?
What masters are you hoping to do? Might there be online discussion forums or web chats for people involved in the industry or subject you will be studying?
Hang in there OP. flowers

ephemeralfairy Fri 13-May-16 10:16:57

How are you doing today OP?

runnerselbow Fri 13-May-16 15:58:27

Thanks Ephemeral for the reply and the kind words, really does help! And sorry to hear you are also feeling bit low moving somewhere new! I agree, it's much more difficult when you're working from home so don't have a backdrop of colleagues etc to give you that daily routine and interaction. Thanks for the suggestion about the meetup, that's a good idea to at least just go along and test the waters. Am wishing now I'd been a bit more pro active early on as I was feeling a bit more chipper when I first arrived! But oh well, nothing to stop me going along now. smile And don't want to out myself but the course I'm looking at is data / programming focused, which is a slightly different direction for me, but very exciting field. Am also thinking about looking at shared accommodation for a while just while I find my feet. Today have just been knuckling down and focusing on work, which has helped. Still feeling a bit anxious, but better than yesterday. How are you finding settling in where you are? flowers x

ephemeralfairy Fri 13-May-16 23:30:18

We moved in September, I have found it really tough to find work in my field so have been doing various bits of casual work/zero hours retail contracts. I've been doing a few volunteer roles too and am very slowly starting to feel better, but it's a long process.

I must say though if you really feel like you're getting depressed then please see your doctor; I had a very bleak time after Christmas when I wasn't working and I ended up finding it almost impossible to get out of bed. I have suffered with severe depression in the past though, and am back on meds which I don't feel great about but needs must!

Do you have anything planned for the weekend?

WriteforFun1 Sat 14-May-16 11:30:06

How are you today?
I'm hugely impressed with people who move away knowing no one, I'd like to do this but haven't gathered the courage yet. Also some practical issues but hey ho.

I think there's probably a really tough start with this kind of thing but if you can get through it it will be worth it. Let us know how you are, you always have MNers to chat to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now