To absolutely hate the summer for the sheer fact that it's light out at 8:30!!!!

(15 Posts)
Tryingtostayyoung Wed 11-May-16 20:29:47

Redecorated and got rid of the old curtains in my DDs room and replaced with what I thought were curtains that were properly lined, turns out as we're nearing into summer that they are in fact NOT. How does everyone make their rooms dark for DC to sleep without me forking out for new lined curtains??? Will probably be able to get some at the end of the month if need be but I need a temporary solution until then.

Heyheyheygoodbye Wed 11-May-16 20:31:18

IKEA do v reasonable blackout blinds that you can mount inside the window frame behind the curtains! That's what we've done in our temporary accommodation and it's a life saver.

Alternatively you can order some blackout fabric from eBay and safety pin it to the inside of the curtains.

GreenMarkerPen Wed 11-May-16 20:31:34

no curtains or blinds at all. dc sleep just fine.

Heyheyheygoodbye Wed 11-May-16 20:31:56

And for tonight you can put foil over the window panes!

I...may need it pitch black to sleep blush

echelon Wed 11-May-16 20:34:48

I remember this as a child. Thinking it was still sunny outside and not fair that we had to go to bed.

Tryingtostayyoung Wed 11-May-16 20:35:02

We've taken to hanging out living room blankets over her curtain rail in front of the curtains but their so heavy I'm worried about it breaking!! Will check out ikea!! Thanks for the idea!!

ShootingStar75 Wed 11-May-16 20:35:15

A gro blind has changed my life

Pinkheart5915 Wed 11-May-16 20:36:25

You need black out curtains or blinds, some are very reasonable priced

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 11-May-16 20:38:38

Gro blind here too! plus an ikea blind and next 'blackout' curtains

Oysterbabe Wed 11-May-16 20:41:49

We have a blackout blind but light still gets in round the edges, need to get a better one!
If it's too light DD squeals and laughs at her mobile instead of sleeping.

jeavcike Wed 11-May-16 20:42:23

Some blackout curtains and blinds from dunelm mill. They work a treat.

ouryve Wed 11-May-16 20:45:21

Dunelm blackout blinds are good and easy to install.

None of that for us, though. We're having to chase our autistic 10yo back upstairs every 5 minutes.

BeALert Wed 11-May-16 22:29:54

* How does everyone make their rooms dark for DC to sleep without me forking out for new lined curtains*

I moved to a part of the world where it gets dark earlier.

Bit OTT maybe...

BillBrysonsBeard Wed 11-May-16 22:40:15

I love the darkness of autumn/winter evenings! It feels weird settling down for tea and shows when it's still sunny. If I had a garden I would go out there grin
We got lovely blackout curtains from Ikea, cheap and they work a treat.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 11-May-16 22:44:11

Lots and of black out lining curtains on eBay, I've just bought some!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now