To pick up the 20p that I dropped?

(17 Posts)
Ramaani Tue 10-May-16 22:48:33

Cos I kind of think I was probably a bit of a dick!

I was in a queue at Greggs and I was counting my coins one handed while clinging on to the preschooler with the other hand.

20p slipped through my fingers and rolled forwards towards the next customer. She yelled for her 7ft tall son to come and pick up the coin for her. I kind of missed a beat in surprise but then just leant down and picked it up. Woman looked at me confused giant lad walked over and asked me to give his mum her money back.

I told him he was welcome to the 20p if it mattered, but that it really really was actually my coin.

Then they left (without the money) but quite likely muttering about thieving fecks on every corner.

I was both stupid and ungracious to get the coin, wasn't I...? Always let the wookie win - right?

SanityClause Tue 10-May-16 22:51:01

I dropped 20p in Greggs today!

No undignified scuffling with teenage Giants, though. I just picked it up.

I feel shortchanged, somehow.

MiddleClassProblem Tue 10-May-16 22:53:34

Why are Greggs trying to steal all the 20ps?

YANBU, but I'd be a little scared in that situation because I'm a wuss

silverpenny Tue 10-May-16 22:57:10

No way, sounds like other women was the "thieving feck"

Ramaani Tue 10-May-16 23:05:40

Well - my first thought was "eh? Is she just blatantly taking my money?" - because presumably you notice if you drop something - but she actually didn't seem that steady on her feet or solid in the faculties tbh , and the coin finished up closer to her than to me - so maybe she genuinely thought it was hers - in which case I wish I hadn't pissed on her chips by calling her out on it!

PaulAnkaTheDog Tue 10-May-16 23:05:47

Cheeky fuckers.

Ramaani Tue 10-May-16 23:08:15

But - yeah - the son was enormous and jangling with metal - and frankly she was quite tough looking herself. I did check over my shoulder a couple of times after I left the shop!

Excusemeforpostinghere Tue 10-May-16 23:09:53

I wouldn't mess with a greggs customer

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 10-May-16 23:16:55

Are you sure the son knew it was yours? Maybe she was asking her son to pick it up (for you) but he thought he was picking it up for her, having not seen it drop?

Ramaani Tue 10-May-16 23:20:32

No - son was oblivious - and actually perfectly courteous if quite assertive .

The woman I initially thought must have been a complete chancer - she was just standing there not even with her purse open - but now I feel a bit bad that maybe it was a genuine mistake, and that I should have given her the 20p benefit of the doubt.

Ramaani Tue 10-May-16 23:23:20

Son was actually not even in the queue but eyeing up the doughnuts.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Tue 10-May-16 23:25:57

You're a brave woman!

My exes ex (!) once gave me 20p when she happened to be behind me in the queue for the ticket machine at the carpark and I was short on change. I thanked her and carried on with my life. A week later she arrived to ask for the money back shock and told me how disappointed she was when I didn't have it ready for her.

Who'd know small change could lead to such awkwardness?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 10-May-16 23:28:01

If she wants to get her giant son to basically threaten a women over a sweaty 20p piece. They're both more to be pitied.
YNBU.

ouryve Tue 10-May-16 23:43:42

Well effing tall almost teen DS1 would have been on that 20p before it even hit the ground. His mum would have chewed his ears off until he handed it back!

I always remind him, in his most skinflint moments, of when he's little and he helped someone pick up all the coins they'd dropped that had been intended for the coinstar machine - they gave him a handful!

But, yes, sadly, some people are unabashed thieving feckers.

MiddleClassProblem Wed 11-May-16 09:38:38

At the end of the day it was still your 20p so you have nothing to worry about (other than never going back to Greggs at that time of day in case you bump into them)

Well this is what happens if you shop in Greggs. If it was Waitrose she would have got her butler to retrieve the coin, polish it and present it back to you on a silver platter. wink

It was your coin and you had every right to pick it up.

Ramaani Wed 11-May-16 10:58:20

The woman actually didn't contradict me at all when I said it was mine - and the son was just going on her having told him to get it....

If she'd been genuine she would have reflexive stated it was hers, same as I reflexively retrieved it - right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now