Dyspraxic dd been shown up in front of the class for scruffy work.

(16 Posts)
fightingschoolbattles Tue 10-May-16 15:53:23

DD has amongst other things Dyspraxia. She is struggling in school at the moment and was an hour late for school last week due to a panic attack about school resulting in contact with welfare officer and senco.

I have been promised on numerous occasions that a round robin has been sent however at parents evening the maths teacher commented on processing issues and was unaware that dd had SEN.

I again sorted this.

Only dd has just phoned me very upset because the teacher in English has made a thing about how scruffy her work is to the point other kids commented.

FutureGadgetsLab Tue 10-May-16 15:55:25

YANBU. I'm dyspraxic and have ASD, that would have really upset me. It's not okay for a teacher to belittle any student but certainly not when the offending action is the direct result of SN.

You need to speak to someone high up.

listsandbudgets Tue 10-May-16 16:10:26

YANBU I am also dyspraxic and this would really upset me. If they had been focussing on the CONTENT of her work that would have been one thing but to focus on the presentation is unfair because she's probably trying her best.

Do keep on at the school. I remember a horrible teacher making me write out 100 times "I must keep my work tidy." I was 8 and I just sat there crying and writing it out over and over again while he watched ... at that point I didn't understand why however hard I tried it wasn't tidy sad

redexpat Tue 10-May-16 16:11:08

I would start reading up on equality legislation. Phrases like reasonable adjustment. I would also post on the SEN boards on MN. Get a meeting with the head. Take notes. Email a summary of what was said and who agreed to what with timescales. Start a paper trail.

ISaySteadyOn Tue 10-May-16 16:14:52

Your poor DD. I am dyspraxic too and had a similar experience. I have never forgotten it.

You sound lovely though so I am sure she'll be all right.

junebirthdaygirl Tue 10-May-16 16:17:14

Had that with ds who has dyspraxia. Science teacher ridiculed him in front of others. Kept him in at lunch time and stood over him making him draw diagrams and commenting on how bad they were. Horrible man. Even when l complained he didn't really get it as had no idea of issues with dyspraxia. I said it was like a PE teacher making a child with a walking disability lap a pitch. I'm afraid some teachers especially at secondary have no knowledge of some disabilities

orangepudding Tue 10-May-16 16:18:38

Could you write a one page profile about your DD with her diagnosis, how it affects her and her strengths and difficulties. Laminate a few copies and ensure each of teachers has a copy.

MadamDeathstare Tue 10-May-16 16:22:18

YANBU.

How is showing up your DD in front of her class supposed to help her? I'm sure she would love to do tidy work. She has special needs. I have yet to hear that yelling, being sarcastic, or ridiculing someone with special needs causes them to go away, or there'd be a lot fewer children with special needs.

I'd contact the teacher and find out if she knows that your DD is dyspraxic. The English teacher at the school I attended was horrible to my dyslexic friend about her spelling. My friend was pretty much in tears. At the end of the lesson another girl and I went up and said 'Mrs. X do you know Y is dyslexic? That is why she has trouble with her spelling'. The teacher was mortified. Nobody had told her.

FartyMcFartpants Tue 10-May-16 16:24:20

That's awful. How old is she? At secondary?

Does she have a class teacher/tutor? Contact them, the head of SEN and say this is unacceptable. Ask them to talk directly to the teacher concerned. And to send around another round robin.

Does the school have a system of marking each child with an SEN on the register? My son is coded so that staff, included supply, can see he has his condition. They can miss he has two conditions though, and I have learned to be on the case very quickly.

My son has a key worker and I put all my concerns through her and she acts as his advocate with other staff. I accept that mistakes will happen and that individuals can make a mistake on a given day but humiliating a child in front of a class is way out of order.

fightingschoolbattles Tue 10-May-16 16:51:24

She's 13 and in year 8
She was on IEP and school action plus but then she made academic progress and the SEN tick suddenly disappeared in the register. I have raised this MANY times and told it would be sorted sad

MrsMainwaring Tue 10-May-16 16:53:59

Poor thing
Email H of Y to ensure it doesn't happen again

MrsJayy Tue 10-May-16 16:59:54

I had to complain about a teacher when dyapeqxic dd2 was at school he took the Piss of her workings out she panicked so much she failed her physics exam I was raging he was a prick. your poor DD I think you need to get senco onto this DD diagnosis was forgotten a few times.

fightingschoolbattles Tue 10-May-16 17:08:12

Just sent an email to year head.

MadamDeathstare Tue 10-May-16 17:55:19

I'd ask to see her records to confirm the dyspraxia has been noted too. I'd also write a note to each teacher informing them that she has dyspraxia and what that means.. I suspect the teacher did not know. In which case this is going to happen again.

Roomba Tue 10-May-16 18:03:31

I had this with a trainee teacher and DS. He has dyspraxia, and he tries so, so hard to make everything neat, but he struggles. It is physically painful for him to write a large amount, and rather than focus on how well DS had done to write several sides of a story, he was pulled up on its untidiness.

I spoke to his usual class teacher, who apologised and had a word. It didn't happen again. DS was really upset though and reverted to writing the smallest amount possible for quite a while afterwards.

Good luck when dealing with the school, OP.

blackistheneworange Tue 10-May-16 18:41:58

I had this with my DS in year 8. I ended up getting so frustrated when one teacher actually denied knowing he was dyspraxic and accused him of just not trying. I took him to a private referral - it turns out he has hypermobility rather than dyspraxia. However - they referral did answer a number of questions and the school has put measures in place. Once it's in writing, it's far harder for them to ignore.

It has also meant he'll get extra time in exams where he has to write rather than type, also the Dr has referred him for occupational therapy as outlined in the report.

I'n not sure where you are but I'm from the West Midlands and went to Manchester for the assessment. More than pleased to send you the details. It cost me about £350 which included the assessment and report but it was worth every penny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now