Re. Changing working hours

(5 Posts)
Feileacan1992 Mon 09-May-16 22:46:25

Hi everyone, I don't know if this is a complete non issue and I should just forget about it, but don't want to be in the wrong if you see what I mean!

I currently work in a nursery from 8.30-4.30 everyday (not in the UK). Work has asked me to change my hours to 10.00 to 6.00pm. AIBU to say no? There's no specific reason that I can't do these hours, but 8.30-4.30 suits me better and is more convenient for me in general. I know my first responsibility is to my employer but I do private childcare/English classes after work that I would have to rearrange as well as generally losing my evenings, it would be very late by the time I got home when finishing at 6.00 and I think there's very little gain in the morning for me in terms of getting things done.

I know this is a bit of a first world problem but I want to hand in my notice in the next couple of months and want to ensure I'm in the right to refuse this change?
The place is chronically short staffed and changing my hours is only a limited solution for the fact that they really need another staff member. Additionally, my not being there first thing in the morning puts them over ratio in the room. This is not such an issue here as we are not in the UK but I personally disagree with it especially given that ratios here are dangerously high as it is! (1:20 for 2-3year olds shock)

Thanks for any responses in advance!

MakeItRain Mon 09-May-16 22:51:21

What does your contract say?
If no mention of hours I would just say you cannot change your hours as you have commitments in the evenings that you cannot change.

Feileacan1992 Mon 09-May-16 23:03:59

Thank you! That is what I was going to say, but I dont know if this is unreasonable. I'm worried that things will be awkward if and when I hand in my notice and am hyper sensitive to not making any mistakes!

attheendoftheday Mon 09-May-16 23:34:52

I don't think you're being unreasonable, but I think you may find your contract allows your employer to change your hours as suits them. Pretty much every job I've had has had this clause.

10-6 is much worse than 8.30-4.30 so I can see why you don't want to change! Can you make a flexible working request?

wannabehippyandcrazycatlover Tue 10-May-16 11:21:17

Depends what country you are in and what their employment rights are!?

You may be well within your rights to say no if your contract does not say anything about changing hours but they also might be well with their rights to dismiss you if deemed necessary...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now