To feel more than a little [hmm]...

(23 Posts)
Leta86 Mon 09-May-16 18:46:25

So today I underwent a lap & dye operation, as DH and I are TTC for a while with no results. As I was among the last on the list today I had to spend most of the morning in the room used by all female patients scheduled for a surgery that day... One of the other patients was a woman, about 45-50 years old who engaged me in a detailed story about surviving a breast cancer not once, but twice and now being investigated for the third one. I was genuinely concerned and tried to be as empathic as possible...
I must admit, after a while, what with being a bit afraid myself, not that I say my operation was anything in the order of the cancer and God forbid I should ever find myself or anyone I hold dear into that position, but I felt a bit overwhelmed.
In the recovery afterwards, as I came through, I distinctly heard this lady's voice (it is VERY loud, shrill and unique) discussing with the doctor the fact that this was her second LYPOSUCTION and that she will not be offered another on the NHS. The resulting reaction was the last thing one needs after recovering from a general anaesthesia... it was NOT pleasant to hear abuse hurtled at the staff. I felt genuinely sorry for them.
So I am confused right now, why did she go into all this story about having cancer? What prompts a person to do that? And why behave like this to the staff? I am still very confused as to the lack of any consideration on her behalf... I am sorry if this is simply an offload, perhaps it is my grogginess and the fact I am couch bound that prompted me into this berating...

tectonicplates Mon 09-May-16 18:49:59

Did she definitely have liposuction, though? People often talk rubbish when they wake up from am operation as they're really confused.

Leta86 Mon 09-May-16 18:53:18

Yes, as it was a conversation between her and the doctor, not just a one-sided rant... as I said she was a curtain away from me... with her type of voice it was impossible not to hear...

OohMavis Mon 09-May-16 18:53:36

Perhaps she was having a biopsy, and was making a joke about it being 'free lyposuction' on the NHS. I think maybe it's a joke I would make. I tend to make light of things that terrify me.

You just don't know, so I wouldn't dwell on it too much.

Hope you're feeling ok after the operation flowers

originalusernamefail Mon 09-May-16 18:56:05

I second tectonic people talk utter bollocks when coming round from anaesthesia (no problems they usually forget it as well!). I was once physically attacked by someone coming round from anaesthetic following an orthopaedic op. I was a bitch and had cut off his legs shock (showing both legs- still attached - op was shoulder, did nothing to reassure him) luckily he couldn't punch that hard. I went to see him the next day and he was back to his normal self and couldn't remember meeting me before, never mind me chopping his legs off grin. Everything heard in the recovery room must be taken with a pinch of salt!

Leta86 Mon 09-May-16 18:56:32

Didn't sound like joking at all... but you're right, perhaps I shouldn't dwell on it but focus on the recovery... Just that it played on my mind a bit since...

Thanks for the flowers smile I really appreciate it.

originalusernamefail Mon 09-May-16 18:57:09

X post! Don't worry about it OP, NHS staff hear much worse every day.

Outfoxed Mon 09-May-16 19:01:15

When waking up from surgery I went into very detailed description of why I thought my surgeon was a cross dresser...people talk shite after surgery!

Floralnomad Mon 09-May-16 19:02:01

I think you have misheard or half heard the story as you don't generally get liposuction on the NHS unless it's being used in reconstructive surgery for a more serious condition .

expatinscotland Mon 09-May-16 19:10:23

I spoke Spanish after waking up for one op. The nurse kept telling me I wasn't speaking English but I insisted I was.

Ilovewillow Mon 09-May-16 19:15:48

I would try not to dwell. I hope all went well and your revert is ok! Good luck ttc, you've made the first step!

iklboo Mon 09-May-16 19:19:10

She could have had liposuction as part of breast reconstruction?

iklboo Mon 09-May-16 19:19:58

Sorry 'Could she' not 'she could'. I was asking if they they do that procedure blush

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 09-May-16 19:24:44

I doubt liposuction is ever done on the NHS as it's a cosmetic procedure confused
although it's entirely possible that this lady was spinning you a tale about her three brushes with cancer. I understand you feeling uncomfortable with the whole thing, it sounds like a strange experience.

Hope you have a speedy recovery. smile

whois Mon 09-May-16 19:26:29

If you were in recovery - you probably totally dreamed it!

When you're in recovery coking round from anesthetic, things aren't always as they seem! :-)

Ilovetorrentialrain Mon 09-May-16 19:31:20

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't gave bend what it sounded like. I've had some pretty surreal experiences on GA so have that in mind.

I wonder if it was a creative way of talking about biopsies? Alternatively reconstructive surgery.

Ilovetorrentialrain Mon 09-May-16 19:33:10

have been not gave bend!

OP I hope you're doing OK anyway. What a strange day it must have been, regardless of why!

Leta86 Mon 09-May-16 19:35:47

Omg, now you really make me question my senses grin

Just in case, I offer my sincere sympathies to all of you who work in recoveries and put up with all these... kudos...

shamelessmailhack Mon 09-May-16 19:39:50

It looks like they do give lipo on the NHS for certain conditions: www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1957.aspx?CategoryID=68

Apparently they use your own body's fat to construct a breast after a mastectomy. I didn't know that. Science is amazing!

Heidi42 Mon 09-May-16 19:46:14

They can use liposuction for treating lymphoedema after mastectomy

UterusUterusGhali Mon 09-May-16 20:24:14

When bringing people out of general anaesthesia, I was always taught to be silent, as the patient can often have auditory hallucinations triggered by what they hear.

I would stand down the judgy pants for now. smile

PeanutButterLips Tue 10-May-16 01:18:36

Yes they do give lipo and use the fat to reconstruct breasts after cancer.
A close friend of mine has had this procedure so it's definitely true.

MilkOfAmnesia Tue 10-May-16 01:53:27

Liposuction is done on the NHS more than you'd think. Like PP have said its often to done as a 'transfer' i.e. take fat from stomach or thighs and used to reconstruct breast tissue after mastectomy or if one breast is larger than the other.

Lots of really lovely people are incredibly rude and violent in recovery. It's not their fault, just a side effect of the drugs they are given combined with fear and anxiety. Most people don't remember and would be mortified if you told them.

One of the reasons I stopped doing plastics was because I was seeing a lot of ladies like this who just wanted to 'offload' their cancer journey. I can understand why and I don't begrudge them or anything, but I did find it was becoming overwhelming and I didn't feel I was doing a very good job of supporting them. I wouldn't want to hear it if I were having my own operation so I can see where you are coming from.

Hope you feel better soon. Get lots of rest (You'll be tired and sore for a few days) and drink plenty of fluids.
Good luck with TTC flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now