to think the vet should at least offer....

(6 Posts)
Rosenwyn1985 Mon 09-May-16 18:32:03

... To do something?

I've been with the same small town vet my entire life, in that i mean my family went there before I was born. They are fantastic. The main vet recently retired (she'd known my dad well before I was born, I'm 31). As such it was sold onto a larger group company. It is still the same people working there, they are great. However they are called to account for being too personable, for not advertising their promotions etc. Now one of the reasons I go is their honest opinions and community spirit.

So to today, we go to get my dog (a pug) his boosters which are all covered under a monthly health plan. Whilst having his booster he starts to squirm and my husband is asked to hold him. My dog then gets so worked up he rips a claw. So £25 later (for a bloody bandage) we're out and due back Wednesday.

Now I've not got any trouble paying for my dog, we have comprehensive insurance with an £80 excess and the health plan covers pretty much everything else. But I kind of feel they should have, if not waived the cost, charged me half, or cost price etc. It wouldn't have happened if we hadn't been there. It was their property.

I am thinking of writing to the higher up suit types (with heavy emphasis on how wonderful the staff is but how it seems to have changed). AIBU? I've got no problem caring for my dog, it just feels a bit unfair. Or is it my personal dislike for the changes that is effecting my judgement?

acasualobserver Mon 09-May-16 18:44:25

Do you think the vet was at fault in the incident that led to your dog's injury? I don't think the fact that it happened on the vet's property is relevant in itself.

WellErrr Mon 09-May-16 18:48:51

Technically the vet doesn't have to give you any discount; your dog hurt itself because it was dicking about, not the vet's fault.

The problem is if they now work for a big group, they'll need to document all discounts and they won't (understandably) want to record themselves as being at fault if they weren't.

Rosenwyn1985 Mon 09-May-16 19:05:01

It's kind of hard to say whether there was fault. That's why I'm sort of umming about it. I guess I just would have liked more profuse apologies (it kind of felt like they were sorry, wanted to help but really felt put upon by new system). Put it this way, in future they can get a nurse to help rather than asking us. I'm not really that bothered about the money (although I'm annoyed), just sort of wanting to point out that this new attitude is not good.

MadamDeathstare Mon 09-May-16 19:11:58

The vet should have had a technician hold your dog. As your DH was holding him they probably think it was your DH's fault he was able to squirm and ripped a claw. I hope he is healing up quickly. Poor dog.

DeathCat1 morphs into a dragon at the vet if they do any work on her without me around. I went to pick her up one day (as she was in for hours for a glucose curve) and she was screeching 'Maa, Maaa, Maaaaa' in the back as they were trimming her claws. She had a small cut on her pad. They treated it without charging me, but I wasn't involved in holding her.

Rosenwyn1985 Mon 09-May-16 19:30:55

We certainly won't be holding him in future! It was horrible, it bled lots and my three year old was in (learning all about injections which my dog normally doesn't care about). Had to hustle him out fast and leave husband to it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now