Apologies in advance, posting for traffic - makeup question

(16 Posts)
cocoface Mon 09-May-16 09:14:50

Could someone who is good with makeup application/brushes please point me in the direction of where I can buy reasonably priced makeup brushes (ie do I buy a set if so which ones) and also recommend some not too expensive eye shadows (set might be best here as I think they may point out where to put it etc).

Ive had a really horrible few months and have a wedding coming up and I would just like to do something for myself to give me a lift.

Thanks in advance

curren Mon 09-May-16 09:19:47

Budget wise I like ELF. Really cheap but good quality. Think you San only get it online. They do copies of big brands eyeshadow palettes like the urban decay naked palettes.

Really good quality. Dd has had one of their brush sets for over a year and they are all still in good condition. Think it cost about £15 for the whole brush set.

It can take a week or so for delivery as it comes from the US but you may be able to get it from Amazon with a quicker delivery.

MatildaTheCat Mon 09-May-16 09:31:04

Why not go for a free makeup session at a large store and use some of their ideas? You don't have to buy their products even if they might like you to.

Most ideas can be down scaled to more affordable brands.

Ladycrazycat Mon 09-May-16 09:31:12

Real Techniques are good (look on the Boots website).

Not sure on your budget but I bought a Bobbi Brown eyeshadow at a shopping outlet place the other week and it was the best eyeshadow I've ever used! It cost about £12 though and I think they are usually more but if you can to an outlet or find them cheap online then that is maybe an option.

whitershadeofpale Mon 09-May-16 09:34:39

Real techniques are the best budget brushes.

Sleek are good for cheap eyeshadow palates.

If your not sure on application I'd recommend watching some Lisa Eldridge videos on youtube. She's a professional makeup artist and has taught me loads.

Knock 'em dead!

Kelsoooo Mon 09-May-16 09:35:45

Check our Mrs Gloss and the Goss on Facebook. Wonderful advice in there.

Make up Revolution (online and in Superdrug) are a fab, low cost brand. Their brushes are awesome

Bitchqueen90 Mon 09-May-16 09:35:47

Definitely go to a boots or department store and get them to show you some techniques. I'm ok with makeup but I tend to use quite expensive brands. For me Urban Decay are the best eyeshadows (and cruelty free) but they are quite pricey. Mac are a bit cheaper but still good.

ghostyslovesheep Mon 09-May-16 09:36:34

My dd1 is obsessed with the stuff - she loves Real Techniques - TK Maxx had some sets half price yesterday

BillSykesDog Mon 09-May-16 09:41:54

I would get real techniques and a beauty blender sponge for foundation.

What sort of colour eye shadows are you after? Browns, greys, colours? You might be best off getting a palette.

cocoface Mon 09-May-16 09:55:42

thanks so much for all your advice. I had a miscarriage a few months ago and feel so down from it so want to feel really great on the day so any help at all is so welcome. even small things like this is boosting me - so thank you!!

Im after more bronzes and would like something a bit dramatic for my eyes. I think I would prefer a palette actually. I need to buy something sooner rather than later as I need to practice. I think youtube will probably have a few tutorials for beginners like me.

cocoface Mon 09-May-16 09:56:58

where do I buy sleek? and lisa eldridge sounds brill!

I need a step by step - so bad at this stuff!

BillSykesDog Mon 09-May-16 10:02:46

I've got this palette and it's very good:

m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=%2Fen%2FCollection-Eyes-Uncovered-Palette-in-Nude-Bronze_1668205%2F

Have you looked at make up tutorials on YouTube? There are some really excellent ones. A good place to start is often looking to see if there are any celebrities you like the make up of and searching to see tutorials to get their look.

Sorry for your loss. flowers

ppandj Mon 09-May-16 10:14:26

I definitely think real techniques brushes and a make up sponge are a great place to start. They do the eyeshadow collection and core collection, then sell little sets or individual brushes plus their miracle complexion sponge. I'm sure they are on offer at the moment in boots and superdrug. On YouTube if you search Pixiwoo and RealTechniques they will have tonnes of videos talking you through how the brushes work.

With regards to eyeshadow I think there are loads of good palettes in the high street shops now. Even a cheap eyeshadow will look good if applied well with the brushes and if you can use a primer.

ppandj Mon 09-May-16 10:14:54

PS. flowers for your loss. I hope things get better soon x

whitershadeofpale Mon 09-May-16 10:16:16

You can get sleek in boots and superdrug. I think the palates are about 8 pounds.

I know that Lisa Eldridge has a bronzed smokey eye look. I think she uses a Estee Lauder palate, but you can adapt to suit what you have, no problem.

cocoface Mon 09-May-16 10:56:04

Thanks All, some great advice here. Will have a look properly online at lunch. smile

thinks aren't so bad now, better than they were but just need to keep positive and looking forward to what should be a really great day out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now