To not cancel the tarot reading that I accidentally booked?

(28 Posts)
DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Mon 09-May-16 01:32:12

I was searching my local fb selling page earlier for a girl I buy handmade cosmetics from regularly. Found the post I was looking for, messaged the girl with my order and copied her paypal email directly from the post so that I could send the payment. Realised (only after the girl message to say she hadn't received the payment) that I had accidentally copied the details of the fb post below, which was for a tarot reading by skype blush

Now, I know a bit about the whole tarot thing. I have a deck somewhere that was purchased during some form of teenage rebellion and was used religiously between my group of friends to ask whether X boy fancied us etc. However, being altogether more old and boring mature now, I take the whole notion of psychics as codswallop. I messaged the tarot reader who was very nice and offered to refund but I've said don't bother, just do the reading. I know i am probably BU but I'm just very curious to see what fantasy the reader comes up with. It only cost a few £ anyway and it might give me a giggle, if not give me the winning lotto numbers grin

MatthewWrightIsThick Mon 09-May-16 01:35:50

Yabu. You shouldn't encourage them.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 09-May-16 02:12:40

I'd normally say. "All that psychic stuff is load of bull'
. However I do believe in fate,and i personally believe that fate made you accidentally pay for that reading for a reason. Perhaps someone up there has a message for you

ParanoidGynodroid Mon 09-May-16 02:31:25

Ah, just go along with it for the fun. You can amuse yourself by contradicting every vague vision (or whatever they're called) that the 'psychic' has.
"You're waiting for a project to finally come to fruition"
"No, not really"
"You're evaluating your relationship with someone special"
"No, I'm single, friendless and asexual"

That's what I'd do anyway
<childish>

geekymommy Mon 09-May-16 02:51:18

As long as it doesn't turn into an attempt to scam you, it might be fun. No matter what the reader says or does, you're not under any kind of curse. If the reader does start talking like that, get out- it's a scam.

CancelTheCheque Mon 09-May-16 02:59:54

'Psychics' and tarot readers aren't necessarily the same. Good ones will treat it like it is - a sort of guided counselling for a particular issue. It's not meant to be magic, just help you figure stuff out on your own. Not sure if I'm unusual for thinking this?

GarlicShake Mon 09-May-16 03:03:36

I see a journey. Something unexpected - a payment. You're going to meet someone with important news regarding your future. Be very careful when making decisions, you can be impetuous and this might cost you. Your easy-going nature makes you lots of friends, but don't take too much for granted. Someone's trying to deceive you. The thing you really want is within your grasp! Stay focused, and ask for help when you need it.

Beware insomniac Mumsnetters.

GarlicShake Mon 09-May-16 03:09:13

Cancel, it definitely is meant to be magic! Whichever school of tarot you follow, it's all woo and bullshit.

"A sort of guided counselling"? Blimey! Either see a proper counsellor or toss a coin!

Things that do "work" as you suggested - i-ching and pendulum divining. The i-ching is just a complicated coin tossing exercise, and the pendulum reflects what you yourself are thinking. I find a quiet walk or a long shower tend to work just as well smile

CancelTheCheque Mon 09-May-16 03:14:07

So why are tarot cards any different? You read into them what you want, it's not magic! Some of us like our self reflection to come with artwork, is that so odd? confused

Obviously it's not meant to replace actual counselling for actual issues but when you just need to think something over it helps grin

DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Mon 09-May-16 12:31:15

Ooh just waiting for my reading now!

I do kind of agree with you in a way cancel I wouldn't expect a reader to tell me my future, more like lay out my present in front of me so that I can see it clearly for myself.

iliveinalighthouse That's exactly what I thought when the reader offered me a refund. I just thought 'feck it, what's for me won't pass me by'. I used to be quite woo but I grew out of it so I take the whole thing with a pinch of salt now. Will be fun I think!

I'll update later and let you know if I'm going to strike it big/travel across water/ get a huge promotion. Actually, I have a few very specific big things going on at the moment so am very interested to see of any of that is picked up on.

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Mon 09-May-16 12:38:14

It wasn't an accident.

It was FATE wink

DarlingCoffee Mon 09-May-16 14:11:30

Ooh OP please report back and let us know if they told you anything interesting!

BlueMoonRising Mon 09-May-16 14:27:08

So was the charge for the tarot reading the same as the cost of the goods? That's some coincedence..

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Mon 09-May-16 15:06:54

Are you destined to meet a tall, dark stranger and then strike it rich?

DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Mon 09-May-16 17:39:55

Yes, the charge was the same, I don't think it's a coincidence really, people tend to sell stuff at round figures, don't they?

As it turns out, the reader may be a con person after all. Was supposed to have my reading early this afternoon but they have gone awol and cannot be contacted hmm So I could have probably read my own fortune and foreseen deception and fraud hmm

BlueMoonRising Tue 10-May-16 18:28:04

Yes, people sell stuff at round figures, but there are a LOT of round figures to be had. It seems highly unlikely that the order that you placed for goods would end up being the same amount as a service from an entirely different business.

I'm self employed. If someone were to order the wrong item on my website they would not be able to choose something of exactly the same value - even though all my items sell for round figures.

So yes, HUGE coincidence.

GarlicShake Tue 10-May-16 18:36:50

What, Blue? Are you trying to say OP's mistake was a Fated Mission? hmm

I'll wait to hear whether your unreliable reader turns up, Martha. So far, I like your reading!

BlueMoonRising Tue 10-May-16 18:42:59

No Garlic, but Talk Guidelines prevent me from saying what I really think.

GarlicShake Tue 10-May-16 20:15:34

Fair enough. Don't know what you are thinking though ... must mean I'm not psychic!

Though I sometimes wonder whether I could make a few bob by pretending to be wink

SocialDisaster Tue 10-May-16 20:20:54

Can you leave FB feedback about her not being able to forsee the delay.

TroysMammy Tue 10-May-16 20:28:13

Can't the tarot reader read the cards to find out you are not going?

DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Wed 11-May-16 00:38:50

I FINALLY got my reading grin I had to do a good bit of chasing and got a few shifty excuses along the way though hmm By the time I had it, I was quite annoyed so kept a good poker face on and didn't give anything away.The reading itself was fairly general, although the reader really did zone in on the particular area of my life that is changing hugely at the moment. Even though he didn't say anything too specific, he did speak at length about the changes and new opportunities. I was kind of hoping for a eureka moment but didn't get one. However, he did make 2 very random offhand remarks (totally non generic) that really resonated with me but he didn't elaborate on either count. And also one or two things that made no sense whatsoever, but only time will tell for that, I guess.

Was it worth the money? It might have been if it weren't for all the chasing I had to do. That took a lot of the good out of it for me. Also, I was a little disappointed that I didn't get a lightbulb moment. Not sure what kind of revelation I was hoping for tbh, I'm probably just being fussy. Have the reading recorded anyway so can listen back to see if I might have missed anything later smile

GarlicShake Wed 11-May-16 02:44:55

Glad you got what you paid for, even if it was late. Thanks for the update!
Good luck with all the things going on.

AnotherTimeMaybe Wed 11-May-16 03:44:32

How much did you pay for it ?

Sorry I personally think these stuff are a con but if it made you happy....

DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Wed 11-May-16 08:06:26

It cost a €10 (I'm in Ireland, hence the €) I think a lot of it is rubbish myself so I don't know why I was expecting so much from it ha! But you know when you hear people saying they've had an amazing reading and you wonder what the reader said that made it so good? I would think that a lot of that is down to the reader feeding off body language though so I suppose it's all down to your own willingness to believe.

In the end I was just glad that it wasn't a "you'll meet a tall dark stranger blah blah" type reading. Actually, he told me straight off the bat that I am in a very solid relationship and that we are very happy, which is true, but there's no way he could have known that otherwise as my fb is set to private so he wouldn't have seen any clue of it there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now