To be a bit annoyed with my family.

(4 Posts)
coco1810 Sun 08-May-16 20:14:17

My parents moved over 150 miles away literally a few days after dc2 was born to be closer to my sister. She has had serious medical issues as a child and also my parents aren't getting any younger so my sister wanted them to move down to them. My parents (or sister) have no idea how hurtful this was to me as I now literally only have dp and dc where I live.

Fast forward seven years and I'm really starting to feel like I don't exist on their family any more. I admit that I independent, I always have been and probably more sensible than my older sister. However, unless I get in contact with either my parents or sister I hear nothing from them. For example, I haven't phoned my parents in three weeks now and they've not phoned or text to see of theirs a problem.

I try to keep in contact via Facebook with my sister and its really disheartening to see my comments on her photos are completely ignored but she will acknowledge comments made by friends.

She also makes out that we are the poor relations. Which we are, me and my dp work hard but she has a better paid job. However, I believe that we have the happier family life. She has a big birthday coming up soon and I have saved really hard to buy her a Pandora bracelet but now I am starting to wonder if it is worth it and maybe I should blow the cash on my kids instead.

wobblywonderwoman Sun 08-May-16 20:17:14

That's really hurtful op. As you said yourself you have the happier family life.

I wouldn't give an expensive gift. Would you not like a bracelet for yourself. you deserve it.

You can't change them op.. just be glad of your own happy family life

nancy75 Sun 08-May-16 20:20:53

It is really hurtful, and I bet your parents would deny having a favourite if tackled.
As you said you have a happy family, make the most of that.
As for her birthday?
Send her a card & a box of biscuits, if she's so well off she can buy her own jewellery. Spend the money on a nice day out for you and your kids.

YvaineStormhold Sun 08-May-16 20:25:36

I feel your pain.

I was the only one of my mum's three daughters that she didn't go and stay with when we had babies.

It was my birthday last week and nobody phoned me. I got cards and presents, fine, but spoke to none of them.

Nobody ever phones or visits.

So...I concentrate on my only little family and my friends, and do my duty, family-wise.

I suggest you do the same. I know it hurts, though. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now