let her slip through my fingers - so upset

(16 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Sun 08-May-16 12:01:28

a little rescue dog. from the description i was unsure so it turned out that my colleague took the dog on. despite being totally not what dhe wanted.

It turns out that this dog is everything i could have wished for in a dog. we already have two jrt's and this dog would be my dd's (not in reality but something she has drewmed of her whole life nearly).

a small dog but feisty enough to put my lunatics in their place. Young but not a puppy as i don't want a puppy. she is loving and perfect.

now my colleague has returned her to the rescue as it he wasn't right for them (don't get me started !) I have been desperately ringing and leaving messages but now phone going to answer.

i fear she will have painted a bad picture of this little dog and she will be passed from pillar to post.

she is perfect for us - why the fuvk did didn't i speak up when i had the chance.
sad

EastMidsMummy Sun 08-May-16 12:07:36

You sound unreasonable.

Get the dog if it's available or get a different dog if you want another dog. There are lots of dogs.

RaeSkywalker Sun 08-May-16 12:09:01

Sorry but all you can do is wait. You haven't lost out yet.

I hope for the dog's sake it won't get passed about.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 08-May-16 12:10:47

im just feeling sorry for myself.

im very much of the opinion that it has to be the right dog and she ticks all the boxes.

its not like buying a sofa.

could be ages before another suitable dog comes along.

If it's meant to be it will be

TheoriginalLEM Sun 08-May-16 12:12:43

i do too Rae. I will be her third home not including the foster home. She has some issues that would put some folk offbut makes her a perfect fit for us.

MagpieCursedTea Sun 08-May-16 12:15:28

I see where you're coming from. Don't panic yet though, they might just be a bit slow at getting back to you. Hopefully they'll call soon and you'll be able to give the little dog a lovely home.

daisychain01 Sun 08-May-16 14:51:51

Hopefully it will all turn out well and 'your' dog will be available to join your family.

If every dog had a happy home and was looked after well as I'm sure you would, the world would be better!

Stillunexpected Sun 08-May-16 15:01:32

How long since she was returned to the rescue and you have been leaving messages?

RosieSW Sun 08-May-16 15:41:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 08-May-16 19:13:18

of course i don't know that this is the dog for us!confused but i have spent time with her and think she would work.

Spoke very briefly to the rescue lady and we are now busy playing telephone tag. Will leave the ball in her court now.

i am also aware that she needs to follow protocol and would be concerned if she didn't.

i am a vn so am well aware of the world and his wife clamouring to get their dogs chipped and the associated waits on pet logs phone line when their website crashes shockhmmgrin

ExtraHotLatteToGo Sun 08-May-16 19:45:24

I'd be on ther doorstep before they opened tomorrow 😁

Good luck !

RosieSW Sun 08-May-16 20:45:45

TheoriginalLEM Sun 08-May-16 21:46:55

wow - could you be anymore patronising? i was simply venting because my indecision meant i could have missed out on a dog that is right for our family. I certainly didn't ask for advice. had i done that i would have posted in the dog house.

my dogs are not reactive! where did i say that??? lunatics yes - but ina good way. put them in their place? a tongue in cheek comment that alludes to bitches often ruling the roost. Although never had a bitch this would be my 7th dog. Why would i want a submissive dog?? for me submissive = nervous. Just wouldn't work with my boys.

Thank you for taking the time to "help". as it turns out , a few issues have come to light which have me questioning her suitability. I am meeting with the rescue lady later in the week and I'll decide thenalthough it looks like it could be a no go. i am not daft - its very easy to fall for a pretty face and a sad story but she has to fit in.

moosemama Sun 08-May-16 21:58:50

Don't give up hope just yet.

A similar thing happened to me - ten years ago - and the dog concerned is currently lying on my feet snoring.

In my case I saw a pup with a rescue I knew and respected, but felt we weren't in a position to take on another dog at that time, with two dcs under three years old. My sister, who has never owned a dog before or since, then went and adopted him. Within a few weeks he ended up staying with me, for various reasons which I won't go into here, but not really dsis' fault. From the moment his paws crossed the threshold he decided I was his mum and that was that. The rescue were happy for him to stay with me and the rest is history.

Looking back I wish I'd just been brave enough to trust my gut, because he fitted right in, was no trouble and has been the perfect dog for us ever since. Sometimes you just know, somewhere deep down when a dog is right for you.

I had a similar, strong gut feeling about our latest addition (now three years old) when he was a pup, but in his case I feel it was more that he needed us than he was ever going to fit right in. This is because he's hard work and not the easiest dog to live with, but we all adore him and are willing to make the sacrifices that taking him on has meant for us.

RosieSW Sun 08-May-16 23:59:14

CarbonEmittingPenguin Mon 09-May-16 00:38:22

yabu. i don't think you should tbh. going from your previous posts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now