To feel elated about the u turn on academies plan.. Ha!!

(33 Posts)
Valentine2 Fri 06-May-16 19:51:18

Finally!! Thanks a lot Mumsnet (MNHQ and members alike) for listening to us and thanks a lot for giving us a platform. I am happy. And thanks to everyone who put in efforts at that thread. Xxx smile

forkhandles4candles Fri 06-May-16 19:56:54

Hear hear!

Valentine2 Fri 06-May-16 20:13:05

The timing is pretty cool. Saves them from a thrashing not in media when all focus is on the election results etc right now.

sunnydayinmay Fri 06-May-16 20:14:45

Governor here. I cheered. And our Chair of Governors sent a lovely, happy email within minutes of the announcement. grin

Valentine2 Fri 06-May-16 20:21:05

Thanks grin I think i learnt so much at that thread that I should send a personal thank you card to Nicky Morgan too now that she has taken it back.

DailyMaui Fri 06-May-16 20:21:39

Amazing amazing amazing 😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃

chickenowner Fri 06-May-16 20:38:02

I'm also happy that they tried and failed to hide it on a bog news day!

Griphook Fri 06-May-16 21:01:11

Hmm don't get to comfy, they will have something planned

rollonthesummer Fri 06-May-16 21:06:21

Read the small print. Any LEAs that are found to be 'wanting' will have all its schools forcibly converted.

I rather suspect lots of LEAs will be failing very soon...

Nothing's changed-they're just doing it via the back door.

wibblywobbler Fri 06-May-16 21:07:02

One of my friends posted on FB that it isn't a full u-turn. That schools in Labour controlled councils may still be forced to become academies

gingergenie Fri 06-May-16 21:08:48

Yay!!! <does happy dance>
All we have do is to get them to pull the year 6 SATS, scrap universal credits and the new personal independence payments and we're on a winner!!!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 06-May-16 21:09:07

What about schools that have already made the decision to become an academy?

bigbuttons Fri 06-May-16 21:11:55

it was never going to happen anyway.

sunnydayinmay Fri 06-May-16 21:45:34

I am worried about the backdoor approach, but at least its not a straight blanket conversion. Probably along the lunes of, any LA with not better than average results is failing etc etc

niddy Fri 06-May-16 21:59:38

Relieved! Delighted in fact!smile
Appreciate too it isn't the end though. As an NHS worker I'm all too aware of their ability to 'force failure' one way or another to 'justify' change, not for the greater good of non paying service users, or indeed privately funded patients (whose chemotherapy costs for instance are capped, although this won't ever be acknowledged publicly).
They seem to have a ruthless agenda to feed fat cats sadly at the cost of the majority of genuine people working with integrity.

Valentine2 Sat 07-May-16 01:05:22

so how dangerous can it be? For example, is there any place where we could find the stats on the failing schools so we kind of have an idea about the possible numbers? Yes it's a shitty situation regarding NHS. I just wish at least some of the people who have voted Tories last election are not regretting it.

BG2015 Sat 07-May-16 08:04:30

Great news!

Hassled Sat 07-May-16 08:07:31

As rollonthesummer said, read the small print. They can still force conversion if the local authority is failing, regardless of how good the actual school is.

AuntieStella Sat 07-May-16 08:12:10

I think they've discovered, only after the announcement, that not all schools have the same legal ownership.

It might not even be legally possible to force a VA school to do anything it doesn't volunteer to do.

meditrina Sat 07-May-16 08:18:38

"I just wish at least some of the people who have voted Tories last election are not regretting it."

In Scotland, the Tories came second in nearly every constituency at the general election, and now have come a mixture of first and second. So yes, people continue to vote Tory and will no doubt continue to do so. The Tory vote elsewhere did pretty much normally for elections during the term of a government.

There is nothing whatsoever regrettable in voting for the party of your choice, and no amount of bewailing and emotive language on line is changing RL behaviour.

Though perhaps MN wouldn't be MN if there weren't gratuitous anti-Tory comments (I mean the ones that crop up on totally random threads) and astroturfing so much of the time grin

sheepcantdance Sat 07-May-16 08:19:23

This was posted on a up to date teaching FB page earlier today. Don't count chickens.

Lollylovesbones Sat 07-May-16 08:24:52

*Read the small print. Any LEAs that are found to be 'wanting' will have all its schools forcibly converted.

I rather suspect lots of LEAs will be failing very soon...

Nothing's changed-they're just doing it via the back door.*

Sadly I suspect this is true

MuttonCadet Sat 07-May-16 08:25:00

The LA in Sheffield is so depleted that it simply unable to support schools, I expect this is the case for a lot of LAs.

GingerIvy Sat 07-May-16 08:28:25

It just means that they'll force them to do so by other means. This isn't a turnaround, it's a side step.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl8ajhu_e5Y

TwoLeftSocks Sat 07-May-16 08:37:32

I'm glad the blanket conversation won't be happening, however, that's going to be fairly catch-all-eventually legislation. At least it won't be everyone all at once though so schools/whole authorities might just get the support they need to do it properly.

I suspect they've already got a list, and I suspect our LA is fairly high up on it. All depends now on that they decide counts as failing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now