WIBU to offer to weed her garden?

(13 Posts)
Remiggio Fri 06-May-16 15:53:39

Next door neighbour has nettles growing which come through our fence. For the past few years we've just trimmed them back but there seems to be more each year & it's a weekly thing.

I'm sick of stinging my fingers & now have a little one who is very likely to get nettled once he's up and about. I don't know if she knows they're there or if it's difficult to get to (alongside a greenhouse).

Instead of being all PA about it, do you think she'd be offended if I knocked & said 'nettles are a problem for us so I'm willing to take a shovel to them...'?

ConfuciousSayWhat Fri 06-May-16 15:56:28

Go for it. I'd love you forever if you did that for me. Nettles have crazy deep roots.

Remiggio Fri 06-May-16 16:27:55

I've just peeked over & a bunch of nettles is accessible for her meaning she's just not doing it. Grrr

Ameliablue Fri 06-May-16 16:32:46

I guess it would depend on your neighbour, but it is probably worth asking.

Envigi Fri 06-May-16 16:34:10

I would think you were a little strange and then let you do it! I'd forever remember you as the nice weed lady though

Remiggio Fri 06-May-16 16:39:25

Haha 'the nice weed lady', might get some confused people turning up at my door who'd misunderstood the meaning wink

ameliablue I've never met her before that's why I was worried about what she'd think. The fact she can get to some of them but doesn't weed them makes me think she'd think I was being cheeky

magimedi Fri 06-May-16 16:41:12

I'd just wait until she is out & spray them with weed killer.

ConfuciousSayWhat Fri 06-May-16 16:42:04

She may not physically be able to weed the garden, especially digging out deep nettle weeds. I look young and healthy but I'm not so we get a gardener in.

AlmaMartyr Fri 06-May-16 16:43:14

Hmm, I deliberately don't weed a patch of them in my garden because I like them for wildlife. They don't border any neighbour so not affecting anyone else though. If they were, and someone asked me to get rid (or offered!), I wouldn't mind at all. It's the kind of thing that I might not think about much unless someone pointed it out. I prune my neighbour's buddleia for him because he doesn't have the equipment (his only plant) and I don't like it blocking out the sun on my veggie patch. With his permission obviously.

All you can do is ask nicely!

JapaneseSlipper Fri 06-May-16 16:51:17

"a bunch of nettles is accessible for her meaning she's just not doing it. Grrr"

I get why you are worried about your kids, but it's probably the last thing on her mind.

blueturtle6 Fri 06-May-16 18:48:22

Nettles attract butterflies so she may have then there intentionally

BMW6 Fri 06-May-16 18:50:40

Weedkiller on the sly.......

Remiggio Sat 07-May-16 03:04:52

I'll give her a knock then & see what she says! Thanks all

buys weed killer on the sly in case she's nasty about it wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now