AIBU to think this is dodgy?

(18 Posts)
Oreosaretasty Thu 05-May-16 16:48:19

Listed my old iphone 4s (old model) for sale on a local selling site. stated that i've got the receipt to prove GAME and CEX have offered me X amount (game offered 40 CEX offered a few quid more to beat game) looking for someone to beat it at 50 and they can have it... someone messaged me asked a few questions about network/gig etc. Told me they could collect in an hour and offered me a hundred for it... AIBU to think this is dodgy? do any of you know any scams that include this? he's offered over double what i would've been chuffed with. I'll be locking the door behind me to hand the phone over, and i'll make sure i've got my (new) phone on me to phone police while running if need be.... I'm just shitting myself now as this seems very odd to me.

Oreosaretasty Thu 05-May-16 17:23:34

Have I managed to kill my very own thread already? Wow. False alarm, I think... The guy has blocked me, I'm now just worried as he has my address. FML. never mind

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Thu 05-May-16 17:44:58

Just make sure you lock up tight tonight, he's got your address and knows you probably have a new iPhone already!

Ninjagogo Thu 05-May-16 17:47:29

Yup, I would be super cautious about locking up from now on....
Good luck.

TheDuchessOfArbroathsHat Thu 05-May-16 17:48:15

If something seems too good to be true........... grin

I can't imagine what his game is but I'd be very surprised if it was above board. Those phones make £60 or so on eBay so why on earth would someone pay so much over the odds for one. As Judge Judy says - "If it doesn't make sense it isn't true".

MarthaCliffYouCunt Thu 05-May-16 17:53:06

Can you arrange to meet him somewhere else? Like a shoping centre or petrol station?

EatShitDerek Thu 05-May-16 17:54:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ihatethecold Thu 05-May-16 18:19:58

That's way over what it's worth.
I sold my iPhone 5 for £100
I would avoid this person offering that much.

AndTakeYourPenguinWithYou Thu 05-May-16 18:21:51

What does it matter if a guy has your address? Hundreds of people have your address, so what?
Do you think he might burgle you because you must be loaded if you have an old iphone?

TheSnowFairy Thu 05-May-16 18:43:29

Make sure it's cash only and then flick through to check it's not newspaper underneath.

bloodyteenagers Thu 05-May-16 18:57:52

He's one of those ebayers you get really outbided by. You know the ones, spend more on the second hand version than it would cost buying new.

Since when does owning an iPhone equate
To having cash?

Hawkmoth Thu 05-May-16 19:00:03

Round here there were counterfeit notes being passed in this way. Police did a warning on social media. That's what I would worry about.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Thu 05-May-16 19:01:52

Having an old iPhone to sell probably means she also has a new iPhone for those wondering why op might be targeted

Oreosaretasty Thu 05-May-16 19:12:18

thanks guys, No one has turned up. I thought it was dodgy to be honest, maybe just someone who gets off on time wasting?as I said I was blocked within 10 minutes or so, I don't know... Odd to say the least. I might ebay it as they go for a tenner or so more on there, and no one needs to come to me to get it. I did think fake notes as i've been burned before by fake notes, luckily it was only 20 pounds (I sold a rug and 2 floor lamps) so I wasn't too bad off. But as soon as I looked at it properly (after the woman had left) It didn't look quite 'right', I held the 2x 10's next to a ten I had and immediately twigged it was a fake. I thought maybe the woman wasn't aware, took them into the police station to avoid them being in circulation. I get nervous selling/buying on FB, But I think this bloke was just a bit... odd. I don't think much will come of it if anything but will be keeping on my guard.
thank you oh wise MNetters!

CinderellaFant Thu 05-May-16 19:15:18

Sounds like he was a time waster. Even if you get £10 more on eBay by the time you pay your fees and PayPal fees it will probably end up being less than what cex offered.

ihatethecold Thu 05-May-16 20:17:44

Why don't you ask in your own FB page.
You might have a friend that's has a child they want to get a cheaper phone

EvansAndThePrince Thu 05-May-16 20:18:53

The fact he blocked you ten mins after getting your personal details (mane, address, possibly phone number) makes me twitchy. Definitely secure the house from now on.

wheresthetea Thu 05-May-16 20:55:51

Maybe he misread the details about the phone and thought it was more valuable than it is and then couldn't be bothered to explain withdrawing the offer when he realised, hence the blocking. Bit weird but possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now