Social media local sites - AIBU to think people could say thank you

(8 Posts)
mummymummums Sun 01-May-16 11:49:22

We have a few local Facebook sites where people go on to ask for help/advice/views. Every now and then if I know the answer or think I have something useful to add, I add it. For example, one poster asked for advice about something very specific and quite uncommon that I do in my spare time, and another asked for advice on local care for elderly parents. Both times I gave what I thought was helpful advice that took me a few mins to type.
Always happy to help people but is it too much to ask for people to acknowledge reply in some way - with a like or a general thank you to all posters?
I guess it happens on here too but I do think if people give their time to help a simple acknowledgement would be nice. AIBU? I also say thank you but I'd say at least half don't even acknowledge a reply on our local sites ....

teafortoads Sun 01-May-16 12:22:45

People wanting stuff on Facebook with no please. Grrrrrrr, 'Can anyone take little Xyz to school today because i'm ill?' 'Has anyone got a pushchair I can have for free?' Say please you foul creatures. Makes me disproportionately angry and people who do this get automatically blacklisted by me.

WorraLiberty Sun 01-May-16 12:25:31

YANBU, it's very rude.

Gazelda Sun 01-May-16 12:27:04

Oh I so agree! I'm often tempted to add a "say please" comment to 'I need a stairgate by Tuesday' posts.

comfortblankie Sun 01-May-16 12:28:40

I think you're reading too much into it. Yes it's nice to be nice, but what can you do?

Winterbiscuit Sun 01-May-16 12:52:02

YANBU. It's the same on Freecycle.

mummymummums Sun 01-May-16 12:57:46

Thank you - think I needed a little vent! And quite right, I'd forgotten those ones - the 'gimme something for free' ones smile
A please or thank you goes a long way

emwithme Sun 01-May-16 13:03:38

Am I the only person who wants to reply "Argos/Ikea/Tesco" (or wherever) when someone posts "Is anyone selling bunk beds/cot/baby clothes"?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now