to think that women who are a size 6/8/10 are permanently on a diet?

(1001 Posts)
SabineUndine Sat 30-Apr-16 14:34:20

I don't mean diet as in counting every calorie, but diet as in they hardly eat any carbs and don't eat cakes, biscuits etc more than a couple of times a year? I am not a thin person (you guessed?) and I look at what my really slim female colleagues eat and it's salads with no carbs and just a tiny bit of protein, or soup or smoothies. Is that what it takes to be a thin person?

PatMullins Sat 30-Apr-16 14:36:39

Nope, size 6 here. I can't do without cake and chocolate, I'm sure one day it will catch up on me though.

BillSykesDog Sat 30-Apr-16 14:36:46

No, I used to be very slim and ate normally. But lifestyle changes and changes in activity levels changed that. But I was size 6-8 for years with no effort.

Treeroot Sat 30-Apr-16 14:38:02

Nope, and a size 6/8/10 really aren't that small anymore thanks to vanity sizing.

Shapebandit Sat 30-Apr-16 14:38:15

I've never dieted in my life and I eat whatever I fancy and I've always been a size 10. I'm sometimes a size 12 now I'm getting older as I guess my metabolism has slowed down

IndomitabIe Sat 30-Apr-16 14:38:22

Nah, I used to be a size 8/10 and ate whatever the jeff I liked, whenever I liked, in whatever quantity I liked. I'm fortunate that my body's 'normal' was the socially acceptable form.

Just had DC2 and I'm not that shape any more confused I don't want to change/limit what I eat either. It's a bit of a standoff situation at the moment!

Treeroot Sat 30-Apr-16 14:38:33

Well, a size 8 and 10.

WorraLiberty Sat 30-Apr-16 14:39:16

Oh come on, what a silly thing to think about completely individual women.

I eat what I want, when I want and I float between a size 8-10.

The only real difference I can see between me and most of my larger friends, is that I don't eat anywhere near as much as them, and I don't drive.

Barmaid101 Sat 30-Apr-16 14:39:29

Small size 6 here and cake is a staple in my diet. Love love love carbs and usually a few cans of non Diet Coke/ Fanta etc drunk daily. Just like my dad he is small and eat whatever. Some people just have a very fast metabolism. If I'm ill and don't eat properly for a few dad my weight will drop and it takes weeks to go back on

Passthecake30 Sat 30-Apr-16 14:39:31

Maybe they just exercise more, exercise portion control or are blessed with a higher metabolism?

I'm slim and I eat either cake, choc or crisps every day...but not all 3....

LocalEditorEssex Sat 30-Apr-16 14:39:45

6-8 here...I don't like chocolate much, cake I can take or leave.
I am just slim.

I eat 3 times a day and some evenings I will eat cheese and crisps together.
I drink too much wine, beer and nothing seems to make me put on weight.

eurochick Sat 30-Apr-16 14:39:46

Nope. I was a ten for about 20 years. I always ate carbs and chocolate and drank booze but my portions were fairly small and I've always walked loads as well as doing about three proper exercise sessions a week.

RunnerOnTheRun Sat 30-Apr-16 14:40:15

This is an extreme generalisation. Have you ever heard of the term TOFI? It means Thin on the Outside and Fat on the Inside. It is not possible to say that all people size 6/8/10 only eat wholesome fresh foods with low carbs, because they don't. Other factors come into play such as their metabolism, their mental health, medication, thyroid etc. In fact I know underweight people who only eat pies and chips, they are not healthy but they are not fat to look at.
If you are overweight and want to lose fat then yes those are all good options that you suggested and I am sure your colleagues are eating mindfully and wholesome foods most of the time. Some people are just more addicted to sugar and alcohol than others and find it hard to beat the binges!

MrsRyanGosling15 Sat 30-Apr-16 14:40:25

No. I'm a size 6. Obsessed with cake. Never ate a salad in my life and have never been on a diet. I think that's a bit of a rude assumption actually. Why would you even care what other people are or aren't eating?

TheJiminyConjecture Sat 30-Apr-16 14:40:43

Just had DC2 and I'm not that shape any more confused I don't want to change/limit what I eat either. It's a bit of a standoff situation at the moment!

Snap!

WellHurrahAndHuzzah Sat 30-Apr-16 14:41:24

Size 10, eat whatever the hell I want, drink like a fish. Exercise a fair bit but I honestly think it's genetics.

tiggytape Sat 30-Apr-16 14:41:47

I don't think so although I am sure many people are careful.
It may also be down to portion size. Loads of slim people eat carbs and cakes on a pretty regular basis but perhaps feel full after a smaller amount of them or naturally prefer the slightly less calorific options eg prefer tomato based pasta dishes to cream based pasta dishes?
And it depends what else they do. Plenty of people exercise enough to burn off some calorific choices.

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Sat 30-Apr-16 14:42:11

Nope! And I'm sure there will be many others like me. I put it down to a couple of things.
I'm lucky enough to have inherited a fast metabolism so I eat what I like. Sometimes it's salad, sometimes it's chips.
I'm always on the go. I don't sit still very much - lots of nervous energy.
When I'm stressed I lose my appetite and I tend to lose weight easily. It's not a good thing.

Joolsy Sat 30-Apr-16 14:42:15

No, I'm a size 10 and eat pretty much what I want, but it is a very balanced diet.I love all fruit and veg so eat lots of that. I eat cakes/biscuits etc on a daily basis and big portions of meals. I rarely drink sugary drinks though and I exercise daily but that's only a recent thing. Never had to 'diet' in my life. Most of my meals are cooked from scratch though and rarely have takeaways. And I'm tall which also helps, I guess

MarthaCliffYouCunt Sat 30-Apr-16 14:42:39

Of course YABU.

Equiem89 Sat 30-Apr-16 14:42:52

Size 8/10 here and I'm not on a permanent diet.
What's wrong with eating soup? I like soup and salads. I also like cake, cheesy chips, pasta.
While your colleagues are eating salads what are you eating OP?

Unthoughtknown Sat 30-Apr-16 14:42:56

I was a size 10 and am a 12 post baby. I ate a fair bit but was very active. I have been been bigger but that was in my early 20s when I drank a lot.

This is a sweeping generalisation but as someone who is very much average (neither fat or slim) the big difference between fat people and thin people is 1) emotional eating 2) portion size

Yankeetarts Sat 30-Apr-16 14:43:38

I'm an 8-10 I eat want I want always have

MarthaCliffYouCunt Sat 30-Apr-16 14:43:41

Thats like me saying everyone who is size 16/18/20 onlly eats McDonalds and cake.

SaucyJack Sat 30-Apr-16 14:43:51

I think it's a bit drastic to talk in such extremes- and obviously some people have a high metabolism that allows them to eat anything- but yes, clearly there's going to be a correlation between people who have soup or tuna salad for lunch and maintaining a size 8 figure.

Thing is..... unless they are underweight, then they're not actually on a diet. They're just sticking to their own personal calorie limits. There's up to 1000 cals in a meal deal. that's far more than most of us need to eat for lunch- which is why the rest of us are so fecking fat.

This thread is not accepting new messages.