to think I can't afford short hair?

(21 Posts)
CrumpetsAndGin Sat 30-Apr-16 08:05:51

My hair has been shoulder-length-ish for what feels like forever and I think I'd like short hair.

However, currently I only manage to get my hair cut once every 6 months if that due to a combination of money and time constraints (I have 2 small DCs and work)

So AIBU to think my short hair dream needs to wait until I am richer in terms of both time and money?

EatShitDerek Sat 30-Apr-16 08:07:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Birdsgottafly Sat 30-Apr-16 08:12:33

What style?

My DD has a short style and gets a dry cut, every 7 weeks, price around in your area.

I'm going from bra strap length to below shoulders, any shorter and I've got to spend a fair amount of time on it, every day.

CastielsClevererBetterSister Sat 30-Apr-16 08:14:15

I have very short hair. But only get mine cut every 6 months or so. IIf it's cut really well the style can be changed with drying/using paste (better than gel or gum) it just looks a little different every month. Who needs exactly the same cut all the time 😁

CrumpetsAndGin Sat 30-Apr-16 08:16:30

CastielsClevererBetterSister you are clearly more talented than me! My skill extends to brushing and on a day I'm really excelling a ponytail...

Mistigri Sat 30-Apr-16 08:31:41

I had short hair fo a few years and found that it required less on-going attention (pixie cut that didn't require styling, just a little bit of gel) but needed much more frequent cuts.

It depends on your hair really - mine is very thick and straight but with a tendency to kink at the ends, and I've found that there is nothing in between very short and chin-length that looks good. Growing it out was a trial. Doubt I will ever cut it short again.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Sat 30-Apr-16 08:44:46

I had a pixie cut, short over my ears, and needed a trim every 3-4 weeks because of the bits over my ears.

Maybe ask the stylist for advice on style for lower maintenance. Something longer in front and sides I think would need less trimming.

MakeItRain Sat 30-Apr-16 08:52:42

I have a short bob. Same constraints as you - it just turns into a long bob quite frequently! Not really a problem in the grand scheme of things.

SpaceCadet4000 Sat 30-Apr-16 08:59:57

Could you look at getting the initial cut done by a hairdresser and then maintaining yourself? I'm terrible with hair but taught myself how to do this on my short bob using YouTube videos. There are some amazing tutorials. Haven't cocked up yet (fingers tightly crossed!!!), and I'm now cutting DH's hair using clippers too.

Only outlay beyond the initial cut was hairdressing scissors and some of those clippy things hairdressers use, although you could just use hair ties. Saved lots of money and time over the last year, and still get compliments when I bother to style it!

Sallyingforth Sat 30-Apr-16 09:00:04

It's always seemed to me that short hair is an expensive nuisance. My friends with short hair seem to spend too much time and money in the salon. About the only advantage I can see is that it's a little easier to wash and dry.
I've always grown mine very long, with a fringe at the front. Every few weeks I give the fringe a quick trim, and when it gets straggly at the back DP cuts a couple of inches straight across. Job done in a couple of minutes.

Sallyingforth Sat 30-Apr-16 09:11:17

Just interested, for those who agree with the current system, do you also agree with this for long haul, where the price is much higher, (ie £500 for a family of five)?
Why ever not? Long haul flights cost more because they take you further. Long haul seat reservations cost more because you get the pleasure of reserved seats for longer. Simples.

Sallyingforth Sat 30-Apr-16 09:12:10

Sorry, pasted in wrong thread!

seven201 Sat 30-Apr-16 09:18:50

I get a bob cut to just below my chin and leave it 6 months until it's below shoulder length then get it cut again.

BeckysMediocreHair Sat 30-Apr-16 09:25:54

I had a pixie for many years - currently experimenting with long, but I'll go back to the pixie someday - and the trick is to get an excellent cut. I found many salons were quite bad at cutting in pixies: cutting it like a man's hair was the worst mistake, others included leaving very little movement or shape. Finally finding a stylist who was skilled at it, the next challenge was how it grows out. Some would grow out ugly and patchy, but others would grow into lovely longer pixies, then layered bobs. I'd happily go 6 months between cuts because it was still manageable, even if I did feel better when it was back pixiefied.

I have never found it hard to style. Wash. Dry. Powder gel. Leave.

Timeforabiscuit Sat 30-Apr-16 09:30:20

That's actually a tricky one, I got a pixie on birth of second child and never looked back!

I just viewed it that if DH went into town to get his hair cut, then why shouldn't I? Ladies short cuts do cost more, and I have let it go a couple of times but mostly go to cheaper hairdressers like supercuts. The trick is to let it grow enough for a trim, but not so far you need a re-style.

One advantage is once you start going regularly you know exactly what you want and can speak hairdresser (a completely alien language to me). I know which ones do a really good job, and like going to the hairdresser now.

Short hair is fantastic for me, I only ever had long hair in a pony tail, it never framed my face nicely and was a bloody faff.

Timeforabiscuit Sat 30-Apr-16 09:33:32

Be warned, some older type hairdresser hear pixie cut and give you a pat butcher - go prepared with a picture and view it as trial and error for a couple of runs.

Be reassured if you get a bad cut it grows out quickly!

ProfessorPickles Sat 30-Apr-16 09:34:57

I have short hair with an undercut, I go probably every 8 weeks for it cutting but could leave it much longer as I shave the undercut myself to keep it looking smart and the top always stays looking good!

IndridCold Sat 30-Apr-16 09:51:30

Apart from a few phases in my life I have always had short hair. I never do anything to it other than wash and go, I don't even have a hairdryer. It is not, and never has been, a faff or expensive to have short hair.

I only go to the hairdresser 2 or 3 times a year at the moment. When it was very short I went to a local barber who did women's hair too. I think our local barber charges about £10 for a 'Ladies' cut.

BadDoGooder Sat 30-Apr-16 09:59:32

I have clippers and do mine myself!

No one in my house has paid for a haircut for years!

Alligatorpie Sat 30-Apr-16 09:59:48

I have been growing my pixie cut out since November and have looked like shit. Today I walked past a hairdresser and found myself sitting in his chair. Love love love my new pixie cut. I told dh if I ever say I am going to grow it out again, to tell me not to.

BadDoGooder Sat 30-Apr-16 10:01:42

I also do my friends pixie cut, you just need to practice and experiment with the lengths/attchments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now