To think that flowers for FIL aren't appropriate and wonder what else to buy?

(11 Posts)
doubleginplease Fri 29-Apr-16 21:36:19

FIL has just had an operation which was supposed to be routine but ended up taking 3 times as long.

I don't really want to buy him flowers as I'm not sure that he'd really get it and I always think that at almost £40 a go they die within a couple of days and are a waste of money.

I sent him a balloon once from DD when he was ill but in hindsight was this a bit crap also?

Are flowers appropriate for blokes (i know my dad would be a bit meh) or can anyone give any insights for things they've bought for poorly people.

Hes a 2 hour drive and we've no plans to go and see him so fruit isn't an option!

SabineUndine Fri 29-Apr-16 21:37:12

A plant or a book?

EatShitDerek Fri 29-Apr-16 21:37:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeaBelle Fri 29-Apr-16 21:38:38

Look at www.notanotherbunchofflowers.co.uk

LittleNelle Fri 29-Apr-16 21:38:56

Could you get a fruit basket delivered, or a small hamper of nice foodie things for when he's out of hospital?

comedycentral Fri 29-Apr-16 21:39:31

Get him a 'box of sunshine'. Fill with lemon drops, bright coloured socks, gardening magazine etc..just put lots of positive things in to help him feel brighter

cookiefiend Fri 29-Apr-16 21:41:17

A decent box set- you can order on Amazon and they will deliver direct to him. He cN watch it whilst he recovers.

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Fri 29-Apr-16 21:42:22

hmmm...Food hamper, posh cordial, alcohol, book, magazine, mini build-your-own kit, CD, DVD?

Lweji Fri 29-Apr-16 21:44:17

Sweets or chocolates are probably welcome.
Or savoury snacks if he's allowed.

SaucyJack Fri 29-Apr-16 21:47:25

What does he actually like?

Usually a good place to start :-)

zzzzz Fri 29-Apr-16 21:47:36

If he can eat cheese, biscuits and pickles, plus nice things to drink and a glass.

Magazines

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now