AIBU to worry about my sons development?

(4 Posts)
startrek90 Fri 29-Apr-16 20:39:27

I have a 19 month old Ds. He can say a few words in English though he seems more comfortable in German atm. He can crawl, climb and stand up unassisted. He has just started to use a fork and spoon (though gets frustrated at times and just ends up throwing it at his face) and can drink unassisted from a bottle/sippy cup.

However he cannot walk. He won't even try. He will walk holding onto things but won't attempt it on his own.

I am getting really worried about it. He is due to start kindergarden in a few months and I am worried he is really behind. My dh says to relax and he will learn in his own time. However all I see is our friends children walking and talking brilliantly from 12 months.

AIBU to worry so much? Should I see somebody? He is my first. I am pregnant with number 2 so I could be over anxious because of hormones.

MaryPopped Fri 29-Apr-16 21:17:03

hmm, I'm not sure. A good friend's dd just went from crawling to cruising to walking in about 2 weeks, but later than the norm, I think 17-18 monnths. Now she walks everywhere.

FWIW, she was planning to see a health visitor in the next few weeks just to put her mind at ease. It's probably a good practical step. I'm not saying you have anything to worry about, but a professional can properly advise you

My dp didn't walk until he was 22 months! His mum was telling me when I was pregnant and I panicked thinking that dd would be a late walker as I was around 11 months.
She was walking at 12 months.

My brothers boys were around 19/20 months and his girls around 15/16 months.

My friend has twins and one can walk and one can't ( around the same age as your ds )

Every child is different so try not to worry too much.

KatyN Fri 29-Apr-16 21:26:29

My son was a late walker.. 18 months and the last of his mates to walk. I share your worries, it is rubbish being the last. I think you are still in the normal range though so you might not get any help from a gp of physio. Your gp or hv might be able to tell you when you 'can'start worrying.
I also thought bilingual children tend to talk later as well, so that he has some words in German is pretty impressive.

So I would say try not to worry yet, but I appreciate it is really hard.
Kx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now