To be contemplating ordering a piece of 'breast milk' jewellery?

(123 Posts)
SweetElizaRose Fri 29-Apr-16 11:21:23

I mean it's ick right? And a few months a go id have pulled this face at the thought of it hmm
However I have been exclusively expressing for dd for nearly 19 weeks having been unable to feed properly for numerous reasons (c-section, prem baby in NICU, long hospital stay, very unwell after c section) and I think I might actually be able to get her to six months. This thought seemed completely unachievable at the start but I'm beginning to think I might be able to do it. It's been bloody hard work, every three or four hours day and night expressing and I have an older child too. I kind of want something to mark it especially after I do eventually stop.
Something like this maybe. I've lost the plot haven't I?

EatShitDerek Fri 29-Apr-16 11:22:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NeedACleverNN Fri 29-Apr-16 11:25:09

If I had managed to succeed in bf I would have bought one

WorraLiberty Fri 29-Apr-16 11:26:13

I've lost the plot haven't I?

In a word - yes grin

But there's nowt as queer as folk, so if it's your sort of thing then just buy it.

SweetElizaRose Fri 29-Apr-16 11:27:20

Yeah they need about 30mls apparently. I probably wouldn't even wear it truth be known, I'd just keep it. As a memento I suppose. There are some which are just plain looking. And a tree one which I quite like.

SweetElizaRose Fri 29-Apr-16 11:27:57

Ha ha - I think the sleep deprivation has finally got to me. A few months ago I'd have been a bit horrified at the very idea!

Toffeelatteplease Fri 29-Apr-16 11:28:23

There's nothing wrong or odd about getting a piece of jewellery to commerate success/staying sane in the face of adversity.

Definitely do it

WorraLiberty Fri 29-Apr-16 11:29:23

Gosh, they also sell 'placenta and umbilical jewellery and mementos' shock

Suddenly your OP isn't quite as strange grin

SweetElizaRose Fri 29-Apr-16 11:30:09

Yes - for me that's a step to far. Although perhaps I should never say never given that I never thought I'd contemplate breast milk jewellery!

SweetElizaRose Fri 29-Apr-16 11:30:54

too

CheshireChat Fri 29-Apr-16 11:33:16

Instead of this one which is rather strange, but harmless I guess, why don't you go with some jewellery with moonstone or opal/ opalite? They're off white so it would symbolic, but not something you're not particularly keen on.

Good job OP, you should be immensely proud of yourself.

ollieplimsoles Fri 29-Apr-16 11:34:43

great job op!

I don't think its strange at all, I'm considering ordering some myself!

Listerscat Fri 29-Apr-16 11:40:18

I love Mumsnet! Your post is great opgrin
You should get it, and if in the future you decide that it was the sleep deprivation that drove you to it, it's still a keepsake albeit of your current state of mind. Haha. I had a prem baby on nicu he's 5 months now, I know what you mean about the expressing and section. I now want one of these! Although I should add that I'm known for having terrible taste.

ChicRock Fri 29-Apr-16 11:40:23

Won't it just end up being a congealed lump of breast-cheese inside a piece of naff jewellery.

A commemorative piece is a great idea, just pick a nice piece of normal jewellery.

CheshireChat Fri 29-Apr-16 11:41:07

I've come across rather judgy- if you like it want it I don't see an issue with it.

SweetElizaRose Fri 29-Apr-16 11:41:39

Maybe this instead

WorraLiberty Fri 29-Apr-16 11:41:39

I lost 3 months of sleep to my DC1's colic.

Maybe I should have ordered a fart in a locket? grin

goldfinch01 Fri 29-Apr-16 11:42:25

Sorry, but to me it wouldn't bring back fond memories of breastfeeding, It would remind me of how I had a moment of madness and was fleeced for £x for a piece of tat by some online jewellery company. shock

SweetElizaRose Fri 29-Apr-16 11:42:40

That is still breast milk but you'd never know?

Worra you should patent the fart in a locket ASAP. Have you considered dragon's den?

WorraLiberty Fri 29-Apr-16 11:46:32

Yes, I need to consider Dragon's Den shock

Better report my post before some bastard nicks the idea! grin

AlleyCatandRastaMouse Fri 29-Apr-16 11:47:21

Take a video of your baby happily drinking you BM much more cost effective. grin Make the baby giggle and then it will be priceless. I have a deadly video of DS feeding but he is giggling like anything much better than jewellery IMHO.

RattusRattus Fri 29-Apr-16 11:53:43

Hmm. I can imagine this being like the teeth I saved from my kids when they fell out. At first it seemed really nice to keep them and I've put them in my jewellery box. Now when I come across them I feel more repulsed than anything - they are just old teeth.

SweetElizaRose Fri 29-Apr-16 11:57:28

Teeth are grim. I've binned ds's teeth. I just feel a bit sentimental about this!

hairygodmother Fri 29-Apr-16 12:00:48

Yes, I think that time and retrospect might lend you a bit more perspective. I think you've done a brilliant job and well done for that. I really struggled to breast feed but I managed it for both of my DC and I am still proud of that (they are 8 and 10 now!). I wish I'd thought of buying myself some jewellery to celebrate it so that I would remember how I felt having done it. But I do wonder about the breast milk aspect, I know that it feels very important right now but in a couple of years it might seem a bit odd. I think you should do what others have suggested and just buy yourself a lovely piece of jewellery and say to yourself 'THAT is what I bought to celebrate breastfeeding my baby' and you will always know why you bought it. You don't need to commemorate the actual breast milk to remember it.

FlyingElbows Fri 29-Apr-16 12:02:10

I think buying a piece of jewellery to mark how important this is for you is lovely. I think in 2 years time you'll look at that and maybe wonder what on earth possessed you! Buy something you really love and wear it every day smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now