To be pissed off at Lidl and their guarantee policy

(18 Posts)
feellikeahugefailure Thu 28-Apr-16 16:34:14

Long boring story, but to cut it short. I have a hob from them still under guarantee.

It broke a few weeks ago and i'm on JSA so replacing it is a huge expense to me. They wouldn't refund or replace in store and I had to contact HQ.

They have taken a long time to reply, but after a few weeks they said they will either give me an 80% refund in store straight away, or a 100% refund if I send my bank details and this will take 2-3 weeks.

I went into the store to get the 80% refund as I can't wait 2-3 weeks (will leave me 11 pound out of pocket but i need a hob ASAP) and they wouldn't refund me as its over a year old, even showing the email I was sent about the 80% refund.

AIBU to think this isn't good enough? Several weeks into it I still have no hob and no refund / fix and it could be 3 more weeks until a refund comes.

Just posted about this on my blog, if you would like to sign it so they pay more attention

Samcro Thu 28-Apr-16 16:36:02

i thought if things were over a year old they wern't covered

TiggerPiggerPoohBumWee Thu 28-Apr-16 16:38:46

More details needed on this "guarantee" What do they actually promise to do?

curren Thu 28-Apr-16 16:39:06

Have you had it over a year?

Birdsgottafly Thu 28-Apr-16 16:46:18

Just had a Google, because I buy a lot of stuff from Lidl, because I thought you could just return it to Store.

It seems that some people have had a new item delivered and their broken one taken away, at the same time.

Others have said they've given up trying to get a refund.

Their Customer Service seems to vary, which isn't right, at all.

This would make me think twice in the future.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 28-Apr-16 16:46:42

Minimum guarantee by law is 2 years, but they are saying 3. That's still a bit tight because you are entitled to expect items to last longer than 2/3 years so more like 5 or 6 is minimum or else they are not of satisfactory durability. They should repair it for free or replace it.

Although if it is one of their specials they probably can't do that and 100% refund is good, but it's unfortunate that your hardship makes this difficult for you. Is there someone who can lend you the money until you get a refund?

Birdsgottafly Thu 28-Apr-16 16:47:03

It should also be 100% refund, or nothing, unless stated in the T&C.

feellikeahugefailure Thu 28-Apr-16 17:00:51

Ive seen the same Birdsgottafly, it is making me think twice about buying stuff from them again.

If i wasn't in financial hardship or it wasn't an essential item it wouldn't be an issue with them delaying a refund by 5-6 weeks. But I am sadly.

They 80% refund was odd to me. But infuriating that I wasted a trip and went to the tills again and they wouldn't even issue it to me.

I will have to borrow the money from somewhere, it is getting cold and could really do with a hob. I know I won't starve but still I don't think they have not handled this well.

feellikeahugefailure Fri 29-Apr-16 10:49:43

Lidl still haven't got back to me, and 180 people read my blog post yesterday. Bad CS IMO

araiba Fri 29-Apr-16 10:53:14

seems like an underhand may of trying to get hits on your blog

im not gonna look at it but does it perhaps have ads on it that will generate revenue?

feellikeahugefailure Fri 29-Apr-16 11:20:23

No of course my unemployment blog doesn't have adverts or make any money!

Creampastry Fri 29-Apr-16 12:27:10

Sorry but I think you are taking the piss that a 3 year old £19 hob still works... you get what you pay for.

feellikeahugefailure Fri 29-Apr-16 13:00:29

Well it was £29.99, but anyhow I dont get your POV at all. I payed for something with a 3 year guarantee.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 29-Apr-16 13:03:48

180 people is nothing. Really, in traffic terms, 180,000 is nothing.

AndTakeYourPenguinWithYou Fri 29-Apr-16 13:05:19

Sorry but I think you are taking the piss that a 3 year old £19 hob still works... you get what you pay for

She paid for an item that was guaranteed for 3 years, is what she paid for. So obviously if it is less than 3 years she is entitled to her money back.

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 29-Apr-16 13:05:20

I would send bank details to HQ like they said, yes the wait is bad but you'll get your money that way.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Fri 29-Apr-16 13:14:21

I'd email customer services again and demand they contact the store as the store refused to honour their email.

I would say unless a new hob was waiting at customer services for me I'd be going back in with a journalist from the local paper and demonstrating how much attention they pay to head office emails telling them to give you 80% off.

This is ridiculous, Lidl can do without £30 a hell of a lot easier than someone on JSA can.

bewarethewalkers Fri 29-Apr-16 16:20:44

Have you tried contacting them on Twitter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now