to ask the estate agent this?

(10 Posts)
sulalovesbing Thu 28-Apr-16 12:29:26

I've got a valuation next week but I know I'm going with the agent because I've heard good things. A lady on the same road has got a viewing on Sunday. It's a buy to let viewer.

Would it be unethical for me to ask the agent, which we'll share, to tell people who aren't interested in her house that another house will be coming up in a couple of weeks (mine)?

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Thu 28-Apr-16 12:33:51

Not at all! In fact they should think of it themselves.

Good luck, hope you sell it quickly!

AppleSetsSail Thu 28-Apr-16 12:33:59

I can't see a basis for a conflict given that estate agents are (obviously) permitted to sell similar houses in similar neighbourhoods that ultimately will be competing for buyers.

It can't hurt to ask.

RunnerOnTheRun Thu 28-Apr-16 12:34:53

They will be doing that anyway!

RatOnnaStick Thu 28-Apr-16 12:34:59

I'd be surprised if the agent did anything for you at all without having a signed contract. If you have signed with them by Sunday they may well be amenable if the properties are aimed at a similar market.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 28-Apr-16 12:36:48

It's part of their job. They don't care whether a buyer offers on your house, or the other house. They won't want that buyer offeing in a different house through a different agent!

sulalovesbing Thu 28-Apr-16 12:37:40

Thanks everyone. I'd understand if they tell me I need to sign a contract before they would do that, but they could show willing...especially if I tell them that I've chosen them already!

Ifailed Thu 28-Apr-16 12:56:50

well I had a valuation from an EA, and decided to go with them, starting on a specific date. Even though I hadn't signed anything, they phoned me up before the start date to see if they could tell potential buyers mine would be coming on the market soon. At the end of the day, you pay an EA to help market your house and to provide introductions, for which they charge a hefty fee so they should be OK with your request.

sulalovesbing Thu 28-Apr-16 12:59:32

Yeah I just called up and she seemed fine to say something vague to viewers about another property coming up nearby. I sounded like a prat though. I've got to start sounding more professional now that I'm a grown up selling a house!!

Ifailed Thu 28-Apr-16 13:03:21

I've got to start sounding more professional now that I'm a grown up selling a house!!
I know what you mean! It's weird when you start referring to yourself as a 'vendor', people come round for a 'viewing' are 'applicants' and easement isn't something you do in a toilet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now